Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Department of Health built secret dossiers on children with autism

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Thread is also about vulnerable kids lads, probably more so than the data protection piece.

In this case it just so happened breaking data protection laws is the tool in which the neglect continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Treppen wrote: »
    It's kind of sad that when one private person acts underhand a thread can get 2,500 posts.

But when a state department can collude against children and their families by appropriating personal data it's not as outrageous.

I reckon this story would have gotten more traction if the kids were all from fee charging schools.

Treppen, you got there before me on that point. This issue really, other than than the general actual vaccine rollout should have held the front page for the last number of days. It is really outrageous, the carry on, and then trying to normalise such actions.
    Just don't understand how any medical professional thought it acceptable? Surely you'd have run such a request by your professional body?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/department-of-health-review-rejects-allegations-it-complied-dossiers-on-children-with-autism-40341374.html

This is the first of two enquiries into this issue, the second being one being carried out by the DPC.

"Having reviewed the relevant files, there is no evidence that the Department of Health was secretly compiling dossiers on children with autism involved in SENS (Special Education Need) litigation as alleged,” the review team concluded."

"A further allegation that the department was prying into families who took High Court cases against the State was also deemed to have no evidence to verify it."

As I said, this is only the first review, we have to wait and see if there is more.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/fa65d-independent-review-of-allegations-under-protected-disclosures-act-2014/

A full copy of the report is here if anyone wants to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭techdiver

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/department-of-health-review-rejects-allegations-it-complied-dossiers-on-children-with-autism-40341374.html

This is the first of two enquiries into this issue, the second being one being carried out by the DPC.

"Having reviewed the relevant files, there is no evidence that the Department of Health was secretly compiling dossiers on children with autism involved in SENS (Special Education Need) litigation as alleged,” the review team concluded."

"A further allegation that the department was prying into families who took High Court cases against the State was also deemed to have no evidence to verify it."

As I said, this is only the first review, we have to wait and see if there is more.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/fa65d-independent-review-of-allegations-under-protected-disclosures-act-2014/

A full copy of the report is here if anyone wants to read.

"An internal Department of Health review". That's the equivalent of letting a criminal investigate themselves. I'll wait for a more independent investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

techdiver wrote: »
    "An internal Department of Health review". That's the equivalent of letting a criminal investigate themselves. I'll wait for a more independent investigation.

This looks like a carefully crafted statement.

"Having reviewed the relevant files, there is no evidence that the Department of Health was secretly compiling dossiers on children with autism involved in SENS (Special Education Need) litigation as alleged,”

Could this be interpreted as meaning that DOH were compiling dossiers but weren't doing it secretly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

This looks like a carefully crafted statement.

"Having reviewed the relevant files, there is no evidence that the Department of Health was secretly compiling dossiers on children with autism involved in SENS (Special Education Need) litigation as alleged,”

Could this be interpreted as meaning that DOH were compiling dossiers but weren't doing it secretly?
    Or as you read the full report the Department simply maintained paperwork "files" to manage the work.
    Its a big leap towards covert surveillance and monitoring and secret dossiers as claimed by RTE.

I have a file in front of me on one of my suppliers.. It's got key contact info, supply contracts, invoices, statements, correspondence... Could that be described as a secret dossier or is it just an organised set of paperwork.

I think RTE over sensationalised this and it's very questionable.

At the end of the day, this was an RTE investigates piece of work and yet all I can see is that they interviewed a whistleblower. What other investigation did they do to verify claims that were made or establish facts. Questionable journalism I believe.

It will be interesting to see what the data privacy agency conclude.

A bonus

Except that neither organisation does staff bonuses?

Uriel. wrote: »
    Or as you read the full report the Department simply maintained paperwork "files" to manage the work.
    Its a big leap towards covert surveillance and monitoring and secret dossiers as claimed by RTE.

I have a file in front of me on one of my suppliers.. It's got key contact info, supply contracts, invoices, statements, correspondence... Could that be described as a secret dossier or is it just an organised set of paperwork.

I think RTE over sensationalised this and it's very questionable.

At the end of the day, this was an RTE investigates piece of work and yet all I can see is that they interviewed a whistleblower. What other investigation did they do to verify claims that were made or establish facts. Questionable journalism I believe.

It will be interesting to see what the data privacy agency conclude.

There's a big difference between contracts, invoices, statements and medical assessment details.

Maybe there was some sensationalism going on, but holding a file containing medical information, given for the purpose of therapy! and being used for a very different purpose raises certain questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There's a big difference between contracts, invoices, statements and medical assessment details.

Maybe there was some sensationalism going on, but holding a file containing medical information, given for the purpose of therapy! and being used for a very different purpose raises certain questions.

Did the report confirm this?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Did the report confirm this?

It confirms that the DOH files includes clinician reports, educational reports and HSE service updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did the parents know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Except for my work it is different to health and health you'd expect, you'd know, to have health information. Again the report said there was one incident I think. Again, hardly the same as the Rte claims

Advertisement