Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeds / Expiry Dates?

Options
  • 25-03-2021 4:11pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can seeds for example, a year out of date, be germinated easily?
    Veg. Pak Choi, spring onions, carrots etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭macraignil

Planet X wrote: »
    Can seeds for example, a year out of date, be germinated easily?
    Veg. Pak Choi, spring onions, carrots etc.

If they are stored well then they often can be germinated easily but it depends to some extent on the particular type of seeds as some are more long lasting than others. I have planted out of date seeds on a number of occasions and they grew without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Same experience as above. I find that as time goes by you get more % of seeds that do not germinate. So 1-5% for a brand new pack to 60-100% over a few years will fail.

I found a pack of runner bean seeds that were at least 10 years old last year, they belonged to my late father. 1 from about 20 germinated, the one plant that started didn't do well either. It a weird way it was kinda sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Seeds from pyramid tombs have been germinated! Some sort of wheat I think it was. However, I agree with above, its worth giving it a try if its only a couple of years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

looksee wrote: »
    Seeds from pyramid tombs have been germinated! Some sort of wheat I think it was. However, I agree with above, its worth giving it a try if its only a couple of years old.

I would be inclined to sow multiple seeds per module to increase the odds of success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I am planting my own saved peas, mange touts from 2016. Planted from the same batch last year with great success..

• Advertisement
Advertisement