Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered house from housing association but privately renting

Options
  • 25-03-2021 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi.
    Me and my family were offered a house through a housing association.
    We viewed it and need to let them now by next week if we accept it. We want to accept it but, currently we have been renting privately in our current property for over 7 years (1 year and 6 months we have been on HAP).
    Now the housing association said once we accept we start paying rent on that property.
    My problem is going by the rtb website, it states I need to give my landlord 84 days notice .
    But if I accept this house from the housing association there's no hope of us being able to pay 2 rents for 84 days.
    Is the 84 day notice still needed even tho we were offered this house from a housing association?
    If it's still needed I'll have to have a chat with him and see if we can agree on something. But want to know where we are legally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

Realistically as the tenant it doesn't matter if you serve your full notice period or not. It would be very difficult for your landlord to pursue you legally and even if he did the RTB would most likely find in your favour even if you were in the wrong. Now if you had a good relationship with your LL and you don't want to end on a bad note then you might want to come to some kind of arrangement with him but otherwise I wouldn't worry about getting sued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Legally you are required to give the "legal" notice.

Have a chat with your landlord. He might be more than happy for you to leave asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We viewed it and need to let them now by next week if we accept it.
    Does that mean once you start paying rent, you move into it?
    My problem is going by the rtb website, it states I need to give my landlord 84 days notice
    If the above is yes, consider telling the landlord that you got a new place via the housing association, and would he accept a months notice period, with the understanding that you hope to be out within two weeks (thus giving him time to rent the house before the next rent cycle).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I recently moved, and the landlord was only delighted we were leaving because he got to raise the rent over 300 euro! Your landlord won't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 westmeath2020

Thanks everyone.
    Ye I have heard of stories of tenants just leaving and destroying the property,and there's nothing really a landlord can do. Also was told the usual bar stool talk of f**k the landlord he's making millions. But I'll be making the house as clean as possible for him when we leave. I'm a firm believer of karma so will do my best for this landlord.
    I'd maybe be able to push to a month's rent( so pay 2 rents for a month). There's not much more I could do.
    We never had plans on moving from this property but this other house is a secure tenancy so that in itself is priceless as we're on a low income and can see us never getting a mortgage with kids.
    I just wanted to know of legal repercussions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you only need to start paying rent on the new place when you can move in so you might have a few weeks.
    I would ring your landlord and explain the situation, I would be delighted if my tenants got a long term home that suited their needs and would settle for 1 months notice or until I found a tenant if they could help facilitate viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try and negotiate a shorter notice period.

If it comes to it, only pay the housing association what you can afford while you're paying out your notice in the other place, and then catch up the arrears over the following however-many months. (They are well used to this sort of problem. )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Moonbeam wrote: »
    you only need to start paying rent on the new place when you can move in so you might have a few weeks.
    I would ring your landlord and explain the situation, I would be delighted if my tenants got a long term home that suited their needs and would settle for 1 months notice or until I found a tenant if they could help facilitate viewings.

The day you sign the council house tenancy agreement you have to start paying rent, regardless of when you move in.

Advertisement