Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family grave works carried out without consent of family

Options
  • 25-03-2021 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm looking for some info from anyone who can tell me. I was visiting my grandparents grave today. The grave has been concreted over and the headstone removed. The headstone was left nearby on the grass. We were never notified of this happening. Is this a normal thing? There are 4 in the grave as it is. Any info appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I'm looking for some info from anyone who can tell me. I was visiting my grandparents grave today. The grave has been concreted over and the headstone removed. The headstone was left nearby on the grass. We were never notified of this happening. Is this a normal thing? There are 4 in the grave as it is. Any info appreciated.
    Cheers

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure that was very distressing for you.
    If you dont mind me asking, where are they buried? Some graveyards are managed by different authorities and their rules vary

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rebelprince

thanks for the reply.
    its in dublin 12, so i think its dublin city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DCC have very few cemeteries, there is one in D12 though. The big Dublin City cemeteries are all private.

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/parks/dublin-city-parks/cemeteries

You will need to say the cemetery for people to know who owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d have taken photographs too so when you establish who manages the cemetery you can send them photos and written complaint... I wouldn’t let that slide...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that it is usually the plot owner, not the wider family that has a say it what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Victor wrote: »
    Note that it is usually the plot owner, not the wider family that has a say it what happens.
    Presumably most plot owners are in the plot so communication would be difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...The grave has been concreted over and the headstone removed. The headstone was left nearby on the grass....
    Is it possible that the grave/headstone was damaged and the authorities are restoring it? My grandparents headstone was demolished (accidentally) back in the 1970's.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Presumably most plot owners are in the plot so communication would be difficult?
    Plots get inherited. Many plots have space for several people.

Advertisement