Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine motor

Options
  • 25-03-2021 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

What type of control would control the speed of a washing machine.

I have an old motor and want to use it for something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

What type of control would control the speed of a washing machine.

I have an old motor and want to use it for something.

You running it AC or DC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Vestiapx wrote: »
    You running it AC or DC?

Not sure. Thought they were universal. Must check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Motor may be brushed or brushless,
    I havent been looking but Id have thought most are brushless now, what you thinking of doing with it?
    Its been a while since looking at the theory,

if you alter the frequency in a brushless motor you can alter the speed, in brushed DC you alter other things

Web search motor (speed?) control, for brushed/brushless AC motors? that might give a start, might be able to buy an off the shelf controller.

There must be something like that in a washing machine control (PCB) as they can rotate in both directions and at different speeds, but set (limited) by the design/build of the electronics and what they are built to do.

I just chucked out (recycled) a motor from an old washing machine that I never had time to play about with.

Some kind of PWM (pulse width modulation) control, to control speed or direction of rotation,
    frequency controllers are used to control motor (speed), I think just speed but not sure if direction.

Just did a quick google and didnt read fully the linked page
    https://www.n-redc.co.jp/en/faq/014.html
    You could probably get something cheap online for practicing what you want, or more pricey versions (online or elsewhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Most washing machine motors nowadays are with armature and brushes . Depending on its final drum speed it will have either 6 or 7 connections on the block. Two connections to the brushes , to to the tacho and either two or three to the field coils. The tacho is the little coil with the magnet at the end of the motor. These can be eliminated. To run the motor at full speed with phase and neutral you loop a brush connection with a field coil, find the slower speed among the field coils. Then you connect the mains to the other two remaining brush/ field coil connections and motor will run full speed, to reverse rotation change over the brush/ coil connections. To control speed you will need a potentiometer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Most washing machine motors nowadays are with armature and brushes . Depending on its final drum speed it will have either 6 or 7 connections on the block. Two connections to the brushes , to to the tacho and either two or three to the field coils. The tacho is the little coil with the magnet at the end of the motor. These can be eliminated. To run the motor at full speed with phase and neutral you loop a brush connection with a field coil, find the slower speed among the field coils. Then you connect the mains to the other two remaining brush/ field coil connections and motor will run full speed, to reverse rotation change over the brush/ coil connections. To control speed you will need a potentiometer

Are they? I replaced brushes on an old washing machine (candy) motor maybe 15 years ago, long since been replaced for some other reason. On a different newer washing machine (zanussi), I had cause to be looking at the back (belt had come off) and looking at the motor as it was visible, my recollection was that it appeared to be an induction motor (brushless).
    Not much to go on, but I interpreted that, that newer washing machines may have moved to using brushless motors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

1874 wrote: »
    Are they? I replaced brushes on an old washing machine (candy) motor maybe 15 years ago, long since been replaced for some other reason. On a different newer washing machine (zanussi), I had cause to be looking at the back (belt had come off) and looking at the motor as it was visible, my recollection was that it appeared to be an induction motor (brushless).
    Not much to go on, but I interpreted that, that newer washing machines may have moved to using brushless motors.

You are correct, but as I said most are still with c/bs, brushless is getting more common with the added extra of dc converters to go faulty, the Orientals mostly dont even use a belt they mount the windings where the drum pulley would be attached giving direct drive, all grand until a coin or nail etc puts a crack on the tub allowing it to leak onto the windings, then finito.

Advertisement