Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows- Triple glazed PVC

Options
  • 25-03-2021 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

We got quotes to replace all the windows in our house. Sticking with PVC but adding triple glazed glass. We were quoted 3 different types of pvc/glass- Trade, greenleaf and odyssey. There is a 25% difference in the price between trade and odyssey. Anyone any ideas if there benefits are worth the additional cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats the different spec on the three different types of windows?
    Why are you replacing the windows?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

whats the different spec on the three different types of windows?
    Why are you replacing the windows?

Will get exact spec later today but I suspect it won't mean anything to me. Was just looking for other peoples experience. Our current windows are 25 years old and knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 corollake35

yellow hen wrote: »
    We got quotes to replace all the windows in our house. Sticking with PVC but adding triple glazed glass. We were quoted 3 different types of pvc/glass- Trade, greenleaf and odyssey. There is a 25% difference in the price between trade and odyssey. Anyone any ideas if there benefits are worth the additional cost?

Look for the U Value & G Value and guarantees/ warrantees when comparing.
    A certain provincial company will possibly come in cheapest, but thread carefully there. You'd want to weigh up the cost savings against the online reviews/ experiences of customers.
    Retrofitting as in your case involves tidy workmanship, so make sure they quote to leave the place as they found it.

Look for the U Value & G Value and guarantees/ warrantees when comparing.
    A certain provincial company will possibly come in cheapest, but thread carefully there. You'd want to weigh up the cost savings against the online reviews/ experiences of customers.
    Retrofitting as in your case involves tidy workmanship, so make sure they quote to leave the place as they found it.

We've chosen a smaller outfit based in Dublin and Roscommon - I've seen the name crop up alot in recommendations. Thanks for the advice, will learn more later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

We've chosen a smaller outfit based in Dublin and Roscommon - I've seen the name crop up alot in recommendations. Thanks for the advice, will learn more later today.

For a substantial purchase like this quotes from multiple suppliers would be advisable, you can still pick your preferred one but it will keep them keener on price.

• Advertisement

For a substantial purchase like this quotes from multiple suppliers would be advisable, you can still pick your preferred one but it will keep them keener on price.

We did get quotes from other suppliers.

We did get quotes from other suppliers.

OK, but you settled on a supplier without getting the specs so?

OK, but you settled on a supplier without getting the specs so?

Yes. But the quotes from the other two matched the highest quote from the one we chose. So at best they were the same, at worst 25% dearer.

So whats the plan for the rest of the house.
    IMO you should look at EWI now, and have it done at the same time as the windows, it will make a massive difference, iff the new windows are hung on the outside of the wall and then wrapped with the EWI, meaning no thermal breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

Sorry to hijack thread but could anyone recommend good quality replacement 24mm glazing units to suit existing 20 year old pvc windows. I would like to get a good u value.
    I am in donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Patmwgs wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread but could anyone recommend good quality replacement 24mm glazing units to suit existing 20 year old pvc windows. I would like to get a good u value.
    I am in donegal.

This route is not good value for money. Spending money on frames that are 20 years old is usually pointless. If money is an issue replace the windows on two sides of the house (or whatever you can afford) with good quality new triple glazed. Then a few years later replace the remaining windows when funds are available.

Dudda wrote: »
    This route is not good value for money. Spending money on frames that are 20 years old is usually pointless. If money is an issue replace the windows on two sides of the house (or whatever you can afford) with good quality new triple glazed. Then a few years later replace the remaining windows when funds are available.
    As above and I think you will find that the savings against new windows are marginal.
    Depending on the house orientation, DG might be enough on the south, with TG on the north

So whats the plan for the rest of the house.
    IMO you should look at EWI now, and have it done at the same time as the windows, it will make a massive difference, iff the new windows are hung on the outside of the wall and then wrapped with the EWI, meaning no thermal breaks

Sorry but you'll have to tell me what EWI is?

Sorry but you'll have to tell me what EWI is?

External wall insulation

External wall insulation

Oh OK. Our wall cavities are already pumped so no need.

Oh OK. Our wall cavities are already pumped so no need.
    The science suggests that pumped cavities complement, or are even a perquisite for extracting the most value from EWI.
    Research thermal looping in cavities.

I have decided to get a quote to replace french doors on the more exosped side of the house with 94mm upvc frames with triple seals and triple glazing as the glass in my original ones have lost their seal. Pricing this in aluminium also. Also going to add additional set of composite door and frames to an open fronted arched porch that can be closed behind me on entering main door into house. I think this wiil make a worthwhile difference as the house is easy to keep warm. Even these last few days it holds temperature during the day of about 17 degrees without heating . Well insulated with mhrv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Patmwgs wrote: »
    I have decided to get a quote to replace french doors on the more exosped side of the house with 94mm upvc frames with triple seals and triple glazing as the glass in my original ones have lost their seal. Pricing this in aluminium also. Also going to add additional set of composite door and frames to an open fronted arched porch that can be closed behind me on entering main door into house. I think this wiil make a worthwhile difference as the house is easy to keep warm. Even these last few days it holds temperature during the day of about 17 degrees without heating . Well insulated with mhrv.

If you can could you post the prices you get for the triple glaze patio door, especially the alum, might be looking to replace and it's easy enough to find the rough cost of DG but there are less examples of TG. Doors are into an open plan living space so I think the extra layer will be worth it long term.

Will do. It might take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MM2011

We recently got triple glazing installed on our home in Dublin. After the fitting we noticed that the main pane in the living room is in fact double glazing.
    The original quote was for triple glazing throughout the house and the company never at any stage mentioned that they were installing any double glazed windows.
    We asked the company and they said that the U-value for this particular double glazed was the same as for a triple glazed window. This sounds a bit fishy - is it even possible for this to be the case?

• Advertisement

If you can could you post the prices you get for the triple glaze patio door, especially the alum, might be looking to replace and it's easy enough to find the rough cost of DG but there are less examples of TG. Doors are into an open plan living space so I think the extra layer will be worth it long term.

I have ordered patio doors 1800mm wide in salamander oak effect 92mm frame tripleglazed and triple sealed. Self install for €2100

Advertisement