Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord question about tenant situation

Options
  • 25-03-2021 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

1. I spent a few grand fixing an apartment before tenant moved in about a month ago. Letted via agency. I was living in it beforehand and had moved on.

2. Since moving in the tenant requested a few fixes which were all valid and I paid for. No hassle - I am a good landlord, registered with PRTB etc.

3. Out of the blue today I get an email from the agency forwarded from the tenant is suffering health issues related to allergies in the apartment due to it's proximity to construction site. It is close to a construction site but I lived there for over 3 years and never had any issues with dust. On occasion with wind - it would blow in the apartment direction but I would close windows etc.

4. I told the estate agent I'd give him a call tomorrow to discuss as I was busy. I hadn't made any decision yet. TBH I was indifferent at this point.

5. The estate agent then forwarded me another email from the tenant which was a doctor's cert. The doctor stated that the dust particles in the apartment from the construction activities nearby are the direct cause of the tenant's medical problems. The doctor also asked on the letter that I would allow him to break his lease and return the deposit.

I really don't know what to do:

1. How can the doctor make that assumption? Can doctors make that link?
    2. Since when do doctors mention breaking leases and deposits on medical notes?

I have had no indication in the last month that the tenant was unhappy or suffering any medical problems. It's really strange.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Let em go, likely dodging a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Let the tenant assign the lease to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kalebl90210

ED E wrote: »

Thanks. TBH I wouldn't have minded that much if we were a few months in and I had recuperated some of my losses.

- If he is not telling the truth and document is forged - god knows what other trouble he may bring
    - If he is telling the truth - how can he or a doctor say his issues are caused by dust from the apartment? I don't want anyone to stay where it's a risk to their health.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Smee_Again wrote: »
    F**k no. Worst thing possible. They could literally get anyone in, and do less checking than what the letting agent did. Am guessing that they found a cheaper place.

=-=

OP; agreed with ED E; relet, and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

- If he is not telling the truth and document is forged - god knows what other trouble he may bring
    - If he is telling the truth - how can he or a doctor say his issues are caused by dust from the apartment? I don't want anyone to stay where it's a risk to their health.
    If you don't let him leave, expect a PTRB case about how you're failing to safeguard the tenant. IMO, the repairs you did was their first attempt to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

For all we know doctor could be the tenants friend or relative. I’ve never heard of a doctor recommending a tenant is allowed to break his lease and I’m in this game a long time.

Agree with the poster who said let him go. He sounds like trouble and it’s a lucky escape

the_syco wrote: »
    F**k no. Worst thing possible. They could literally get anyone in, and do less checking than what the letting agent did. Am guessing that they found a cheaper place.

=-=

OP; agreed with ED E; relet, and move on.

It's a renter's market for sure at the moment and he is paying A LOT for the place so that could be a factor for sure.

I wish I had some way of validating that he was telling the truth. Sending me a doctor's note when I hadn't even discussed with the estate agent yet - seems like a crazy way to escalate.

If the fixes were valid youve made no losses- you had expenses.

Sounds like a bullet dodged here id agree

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Don’t give it a second thought, let him go, give him back his deposit and consider it your good fortune that he leaves now rather than giving you more grief.

the_syco wrote: »
    If you don't let him leave, expect a PTRB case about how you're failing to safeguard the tenant. IMO, the repairs you did was their first attempt to leave.

To be fair - the repairs were genuine fixes for sure.

Re: PRTB case. I don't think he'd have much to stand over as he'd need to prove the "doctor's claims". It's so tough to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sign up immediately and get them out ASAP! They sound like a potential nightmare- next they’ll be unable to pay the rent due to the “health issues”. Nothing worse than paranoid hypochondriacs

To be fair - the repairs were genuine fixes for sure.

I don't think he'd have much to stand over as he'd need to prove the "doctor's claims". It's so tough to know.

You achieve nothing by challenging it, he is going to leave anyway and it’s unlikely you will legally enforce the tenancy agreement, so, Occam’s razor applies.

Dav010 wrote: »
    You achieve nothing by challenging it, he is going to leave anyway and it’s unlikely you will legally enforce the tenancy agreement, so, Occam’s razor applies.

I agree with Occam's Razor - to be fair while we sorting out the initial fixes he came across as amicable and wanting to settle in - the agent's forwarded me his emails.

I don't see how anyone would have went out of their way to go to hassle of getting internet, electricity and gas switched to their name and then to reverse 360 a few weeks after. He's going to have to pay out of these contracts too.

TBH if I haven't had received the doctor's letter I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

ED E wrote: »

Agreed, do this, person only going to be trouble.
    On top of which, the construction activity nearby is not your fault, but you could still be gotten onto the hook for not preventing it.
    I do not know how in hell a Dr is asking what you are saying has been said, just move that guy on (but do it formally and ensure they uphold their end too, so 28 days? notice and Id try get them to commit to paying for that by saying youll agree to let them cancel the tenancy).

TBH if it is a part 4 lease, technically they can cancel with 28 days notice, if they want to leave early, thats on them, you may or may not get a months rent out of it, but if they terminate the tenancy then you are off the hook and can treat it correctly/formally and after they leave withold the deposit to cover any shortfall in their stay.

They could take you to the RTB but with their cancellation of the tenancy you are covered imo to withold the lease (seek advice on that)
    I would not outright agree to returning the deposit and very odd (assuming it is even a legitimiatly a Dr who wrote that letter and not their mate).

For sure what I would do, is if an agencey got you this tenant, I would be back to them insisting they get you a replacement for no charge, as they failed to do what was required.
    I did this once, had a tenant, I think they couldnt pay/changed their mind, I got on to the agency who got the tenant and insisted they get a replacement which they agreed to as it had only been 4 or 5 weeks.
    So you may not be at a loss in that regard.

I think the RTB will want you to mitigate any losses, so try get a tenant through the agency and start your enquiry as soon as the person has sent you written confirmation of termination of the lease.

Smee_Again wrote: »

IMO, DO NOT DO THIS OP, they could get anyone in, clearly they just want out, this cant be avoided it seems but they cant expect to not have to commit to the notice period,

If their health is the situation then they should be ok to prioritise this over losing a bit of money which is not your fault (it seems) o your problem.

I would agree to them terminating the lease (because they want out and they can do that anyway) I would not commit to returning the deposit, just stick t the whole, you are agreeing they can terminate, and for them to do it formally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

It's a renter's market for sure at the moment and he is paying A LOT for the place so that could be a factor for sure.

I wish I had some way of validating that he was telling the truth. Sending me a doctor's note when I hadn't even discussed with the estate agent yet - seems like a crazy way to escalate.

But on such a note it should be a name of the doctor or surgery. So phone them and ask about the whole situation. Especially why he wrote about breaking lease. If it is forged, so then you can get rid of your tenant without losses. He would have to pay rent till you find a new tenant.

I agree with Occam's Razor - to be fair while we sorting out the initial fixes he came across as amicable and wanting to settle in - the agent's forwarded me his emails.

I don't see how anyone would have went out of their way to go to hassle of getting internet, electricity and gas switched to their name and then to reverse 360 a few weeks after. He's going to have to pay out of these contracts too.

TBH if I haven't had received the doctor's letter I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

He might be able to transfer them, anyway let him go, dont contest it, get them to do it formal, Id avoid discussing or returning the deposit if they leave within a week, try get the agent to replace them at no extra cost as they presumably have been paid to do this.

JoChervil wrote: »
    But on such a note it should be a name of the doctor or surgery. So phone them and ask about the whole situation. Especially why he wrote about breaking lease. If it is forged, so then you can get rid of your tenant without losses. He would have to pay rent till you find a new tenant.

I don't think a doctor would confirm anything without the patient's express permission so I could call his bluff on that but as a previous poster said, even if he wasn't bluffing me I would gain nothing.

1874 wrote: »
    He might be able to transfer them, anyway let him go, dont contest it, get them to do it formal, Id avoid discussing or returning the deposit if they leave within a week, try get the agent to replace them at no extra cost as they presumably have been paid to do this.

The agreement with the agent is a % once the property gets rented rather than a finding fee so not sure.

I think what I am going to do is:

1. Arrange with the tenant to end the tenancy at the end of April. Get this in writing.
    2. If the apartment is checked and in good nick I am happy to give his deposit back
    3. Try to see if we can get some viewings in during the month of April

I can't be more fair than that I think.

The agreement with the agent is a % once the property gets rented rather than a finding fee so not sure.

I think what I am going to do is:

1. Arrange with the tenant to end the tenancy at the end of April. Get this in writing.
    2. If the apartment is checked and in good nick I am happy to give his deposit back
    3. Try to see if we can get some viewings in during the month of April

I can't be more fair than that I think.

tbh if you can get 1. and 2. Id probably be happy to get that,

given covid and this person claiming health issues, I dont know if Id ask or push 3. you could and see how it goes, but expect they may push back.

imo I wouldnt acquiesce completely (ie I wouldnt agree to return of deposit and them to be allowed walk out with zero notice) but you have to read the situation,

what you are saying above sounds fair, but expect pushback, keep it civil and if they push their side/opinion, just friendly give yours.

They may have had a change of heart and just want out, if they get agreement they may not contest things too much,

but overall, it is best they go (for you), because it may very well be something else in the future, then another thing and so on.

JoChervil wrote: »

A doctor will not discuss a patient with the op, and if the tenant refuses to pay, not much the op can do about it. It would be a lot worse if the tenant dug his heels in and stopped paying rent altogether, it could take a year for the op to evict with no hope of getting the rent owed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Send copy of letter to the doctor and ask them to confirm that it is genuine.

Tell the letting agent that any future tenants must have written reference from previous landlord.

Get rid of current tenant asap.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Send copy of letter to the doctor and ask them to confirm that it is genuine.

Tell the letting agent that any future tenants must have written reference from previous landlord.

Get rid of current tenant asap.

OP, I would not even waste my time with this, even if the Dr had the time to reply, you are no one to them, they wont confirm or refute medical details about someone.

Id keep a record of anything the tenant supplies re Dr note/termination etc for sure, in the event it comes up in the future, but I wouldnt expect it to.
    The tenant may just want out, may genuinely feel they have medical issues that they believe are affected by the location, and whether that is true or is not true, its just a thing, but not one you can enquire into imo.

If its not true, it serves no purpose, if it is then it looks like you are poking around in their business, it consumes time and has no result other than to make you look not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Get rid of them, sound like hassle.

1874 wrote: »
    OP, I would not even waste my time with this, even if the Dr had the time to reply, you are no one to them, they wont confirm or refute medical details about someone.

Id keep a record of anything the tenant supplies re Dr note/termination etc for sure, in the event it comes up in the future, but I wouldnt expect it to.
    The tenant may just want out, may genuinely feel they have medical issues that they believe are affected by the location, and whether that is true or is not true, its just a thing, but not one you can enquire into imo.

If its not true, it serves no purpose, if it is then it looks like you are poking around in their business, it consumes time and has no result other than to make you look not good.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Wipe the slate clean new tenant, agent and rent if the last was to high, quality over return.

If you do decide to rent again NO FIXED TERM LEASE
    Use a different agent

ONLY let to someone who has refs and an proven abliity to pay rent viewed in bank detail statement.

Charge market rent no gowging..

Be mindful that access to your or return of property maybe further restricted in the future where duration of tenancies will be more at the discretion of the tenant.

If any of the above is not attainable consider selling or wait for the market to normalize end of...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Why are so many people assuming that the tenant didn’t supply references and the agency didn’t check them?

A tenant can provide glowing references that check out and still turn into the biggest nightmare you can imagine. Apart from proving the tenants employment/salary/that he lived where he said he did, that’s all references can do. Because somebody provides references that are subsequently verified, it means very little

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Or maybe the person is genuinely suffering because of a dust allergy and can't stay in the apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

From a tennants perspective. I rented a place and quickly discovered (about 3 months) the place was damp and i was sick all the time. I gave noticed and the landlord was good enough to let me out and find a more suitable place to live.
    I was very gratefull to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just a minute, what building is going on at the moment when all sites are shut due to Covid?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d met them go, but I would report the Doctor to the medical board. His conclusion is nonsense and unfounded I’d be livid if I received a letter like that.

It’s so far outside their remit.

The tenant is also on the hook for charges till you relent. Hopefully you can do it fast. But advertising costs and the rent while it’s empty can come out if his deposit

Advertisement