Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord question about tenant situation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just a minute, what building is going on at the moment when all sites are shut due to Covid?

Lots. Government contracts , private nursing homes and many more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The Doctors not makes me chuckle.
    Ask the Doctor to provide all of the evidence and research that showed them that the particular dust from a building site ended up in your apartment and then caused the patient health issues - Just do that for the laugh.

But seriously. Just allow them to leave. Imagine what they will be like if they see a bit of mildew one day in the shower, or a mouse.
    Straight back to the Doctor for another note.
    Just let them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The tenant could be severely affected by the construction dust if they have asthma or some other lung condition. People generally think asthma is a mild health condition but it can be very serious. I know someone whose asthma is triggered by house dust and that would be much less than the huge amounts coming from a building site. They have ended up in hospital many times with breathing problems.

it's a nuisance for you OP but it could be very difficult for the tenant living with that situation every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kalebl90210

1. The construction site is easily seen from the apartment. The tenant could see it during the viewing - caveat emptor. The tenant is in his mid 30s - I find it very hard to believe a dust allergy was identified this late in his life but always a possibility - who knows?

2. The estate agent's office is based on the ground floor of the block, even closer to the construction site and never had an issue with dust. Chatted with him today.

3. EA reckons yer man made up his mind to leave a few weeks back and was probably looking for an excuse to leave due to the well measured responses we received and the fact it escalated so quickly. EA agreed that he would cause further trouble if we don't get rid of him.

We agreed to proceed with 1. and 2. here so waiting to hear from feedback from tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Get rid and put down to experience. The joys of being a landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

1. The construction site is easily seen from the apartment. The tenant could see it during the viewing - caveat emptor. The tenant is in his mid 30s - I find it very hard to believe a dust allergy was identified this late in his life but always a possibility - who knows?

2. The estate agent's office is based on the ground floor of the block, even closer to the construction site and never had an issue with dust. Chatted with him today.

3. EA reckons yer man made up his mind to leave a few weeks back and was probably looking for an excuse to leave due to the well measured responses we received and the fact it escalated so quickly. EA agreed that he would cause further trouble if we don't get rid of him.

We agreed to proceed with 1. and 2. here so waiting to hear from feedback from tenant.

In fairness, I can't see any GP writing such a letter if it's untrue. As for discovering allergies in 30's, well it is very common & even at older ages.

So what if the EA has no problem with the construction dust? You didn't either. Imo it's better to sort it before tenant has a health problem while living there & ending up in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In fairness, I can't see any GP writing such a letter if it's untrue. As for discovering allergies in 30's, well it is very common & even at older ages.

So what if the EA has no problem with the construction dust? You didn't either. Imo it's better to sort it before tenant has a health problem while living there & ending up in hospital.

A GP may write a letter in relation to allergies, but strayed a bit when requesting that the LL release a tenant from a lease and return deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

In a culture where a tenant can sign a lease and after 6 months can stay for up to six years and can continue not pay rent and overhold and can take a year to get out after slow processes of adjudication appeal tribunal and determination. Resulting in a years lost rent.

I’m not saying that this tenant is like that. He sounds genuine. Where a tenant wants to leave let him go better than being in position above. You’ll have place let again in 2 weeks. Agent May wave their fee or better still do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you're seriously overthinking this. It's doesn't matter if the note is genuine, or the issue is genuine. The tenant wants out. Get them out ASAP. Offer to let them leave at the end of March, not April: you have more chance of getting April's rent from someone who wants to be there.

Advertisement