Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ted1 wrote: »
    No time for the priority list and the AZ isn’t suitable for many on it.

If they're giving out AZ vaccines, they need to have a priority list that is eligible for the AZ vaccine, that's how this works.

The time thing is being over-egged too, it's not the same as in the Pfizer situation where you're counting down the minutes they were out of ultra-cold storage. They probably needed to be used that day, but not within the hour. This isn't a good enough reason to ignore the priority list that you've been instructed to use from the actual owner of the vaccine (the State).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    All teachers from a Bray school phoned at 4;30 managed to be in the Beacon within an hour. Now that is some achievement , not one needed to go home or pick up kids or whatever ! WOw is all I can say .Were they lined up ready to go or what

Wasn't it lucky that the vaccine was suitable for all twenty of them aswell seeing as some are trying to use this as justification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Shelga wrote: »
    So to see these vaccines being deliberately given to (presumably youngish) privileged, healthy people in a few-paying school in a different county, due to their links with the CEO, rather than the actual patients of the hospital, the Gardai, local schools or literally anyone within 1km of the hospital, is just completely sickening.

Honestly have no idea how anyone can defend it. I’m fit to explode today.

why are you assuming that the teachers were young, healthy and priviliged?

teachers are priviliged now?

I know what nepotism is. Come down off your high horse.

Wtf are you on about? I made a factually correct statement to counteract your incorrect one.

There's no high horse here and if there is, you are riding it. You brought up nepotism, not I.

Can you actually counter my statements? If not then good day to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

No time for the priority list
    Rubbish
    the AZ isn’t suitable for many on it.
    They managed to find 20 teachers all the same.
    How does 1 call to get 20 people not make sense ?
    It does make sense. But 1 call to a Garda station or a firestation or another hospital to find 20 trainee nurses would have made more sense.

The Beacon said there were "over 200 HSE no-shows" for scheduled appointments due to double-bookings at the Aviva Stadium. But how does that explain the no-shows? Furthermore, I'm sure that there were plenty of emergency workers in the Dublin area that could have been given the doses instead of teachers at a school in Co Wicklow.

This point really jumps out to me. If there were 200 no-shows then surely there were a load of no-shows at the Aviva because they showed up to the Beacon. So let's say 100 to be generous. Does that mean that day-to-day the double-booking incidence is 25-35%? I would say that strikes me as inept but then it is the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

EmptyTree wrote: »
    They rounded up teachers quickly enough, why is it nonsense that the same couldn't be done for mental health patients?

Because the teachers are on site together.

Where do you get 20 mental health patients together that can be transported within such a short period of time.
    Why would mental health go ahead of front line workers?
    If mental health are vulnerable would they not already have it or be scheduled for a vaccine ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Shelga wrote: »
    Oh, and I lived with someone who went to St Gerard’s once, and he was the most cosseted, pretentious gob****e I have ever met. He was surprised when I said I’d never heard of the school. I should have asked him had he ever heard of my school, but that was a public school on the north side so seemed unlikely. This was a 28 year old man still banging on about what secondary school he went to.

Sorry, but people like that being given lifesaving vaccines before people like a 79 year old woman I know with severe respiratory illness, is just revolting.

I mean, the vaccines should very obviously have gone to those in higher levels of priority be that the elderly or HSE staff etc.

But this post is embarrassing and stinks of a rather large chip on your shoulder looking for a reason to vent about private schools. It was the staff for one, not the students. Didnt know all the staff in Gerard's went to Gerard's. Be good if you could clarify that. Most my teachers were from the countryside and I was in one of the bigger private schools in Dublin for a while.
    Using anecdotal evidence of one person to in some way prove some sort of point about private school student or past students is a bit weird. As if all who received the vaccine in Gerard's are in some way like the above. I just dont see what relevance it has to anything. There are arseholes in all walks of life. Would it be more palatable to you if a working class shop keeper got the vaccine over a teacher in a private school?

Hopefully someone is held personally accountable for this whole mess. This isn't the first case of vaccine nepotism we've seen but it really should be the last, its totally unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Cyrus wrote: »
    why are you assuming that the teachers were young, healthy and priviliged?

teachers are priviliged now?

Doesn’t matter teachers are at point 11 on scale not 3.5.

Nepotism strikes again in Ireland

• Advertisement

Rubbish

It does make sense. But 1 call to a Garda station or a firestation or another hospital to find 20 trainee nurses would have made more sense.

We’ve been through these
    The lads in the fire station can’t abandon their station. They are on duty for emergencies.
    The Gardai are the same , also you wouldn’t have that number of Gardai within the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Rubbish

Find me a garda station or fire station or hospital that have 20 members of staff just sitting around ready to be freed up at a moments notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

They made a call and used them!

Good luck to them and I hope that they are all fine!

Exactly, it's another 20 people vaccinated and they are teachers not murderers.
    In my opinion all teachers should have been done by now anyway.
    I'll save my outrage for something slightly bigger and more important !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Rubbish

Just wondering why Garda DFB or trainee nurses would have made more sense then teachers when they are all considered frontline workers?

Wasn't it lucky that the vaccine was suitable for all twenty of them aswell seeing as some are trying to use this as justification.

Maybe there was more teachers in the school who says they’d pass....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Exactly, it's another 20 people vaccinated and they are teachers not murderers.
    In my opinion all teachers should have been done by now anyway.
    I'll save my outrage for something slightly bigger and more important !

Is was a pure coincidence that they happened to be teachers of the managements children.

Nepotism strikes again in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

If the HSE were anything other than a pack of absolutely useless individuals, they should be taking this out of the control of the individual hospitals.
    The waiting list for the day/week/whatever should be agreed well in advance and tracked regularly. Not left to the CEO to ring the lads in Bray at a whim.
    But I think we all know, the HSE probably aren't even capable of managing a list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6759951/hse-annoyed-beacon-hospital-apology-vaccines/
    Beacon Hospital today apologised for the decision that was made "not in line with the sequencing guidelines in place from the HSE".

well at least the Beacon know it was wrong ,which is more than some people on this tread

khalessi wrote: »
    Just wondering why Garda DFB or trainee nurses would have made more sense then teachers when they are all considered frontline workers?

Teachers are frontline workers however they don't deal with a different group of people everyday in the course of their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Find me a garda station or fire station or hospital that have 20 members of staff just sitting around ready to be freed up at a moments notice.

Yeah, I know that if I wanted a quick response the last place I would call is a fire department... :pac:

You clearly have a connection, which what the beacon . did too.
    From that site it’s not obvious they have 63 houses in the area. In less than an hour how do you contact the occupants and arrange transfer ?

And why would people with mental health issues be ahead of front line workers ?

Why would teachers be ahead of front line workers?

• Advertisement

Maybe there was more teachers in the school who says they’d pass....

It's obvious what you and a few others here are at, however you'll have to forgive me for foregoing the opportunity to converse with you any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This point really jumps out to me. If there were 200 no-shows then surely there were a load of no-shows at the Aviva because they showed up to the Beacon. So let's say 100 to be generous. Does that mean that day-to-day the double-booking incidence is 25-35%? I would say that strikes me as inept but then it is the HSE.

Whatever about double booking, there are also appointments going out at less than 24 hr notice. I am personally aware of a text received to a work mobile phone in wicklow at 7pm on a Sunday night, offering an appointment at 1pm the following day at The Aviva Stadium.

With the shortage of notice and travel time and distance involved in such cases, it is absolutely certain that some appointments will be missed - all the more reason to have the standby list up and running.

Teachers are frontline workers however they don't deal with a different group of people everyday in the course of their work.

Have you been in a secondary school? They deal with about 200 children everyday and Primary might be one class but unmasked and some are taller then the teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Threads going around in circles now -

What we know:

- Could only make one phone call and only had time to access one option.
    - Firemen are on alert always they do not eat, just sit in their fire truck or some other fixed post
    - Garda stations in Dublin have no more than 5 people in them ever
    - mental health service users roam around but individually only
    - the priority list does not matter
    - it’s normal for school Teachers to be in school after 4pm , but only in private schools, the 3 schools within 1km of the hospital were unworthy

The issue is the CEO not looking for more suitable candidates not that teachers got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im in fits here reading this thread.
    PEople really should go back to the start and read it if they want a laugh.
    Its really making my Friday tbh :)

Some people better cool down their outrage or they will have none left to be outraged at some non-event tomorrow.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/6759951/hse-annoyed-beacon-hospital-apology-vaccines/
    Beacon Hospital today apologised for the decision that was made "not in line with the sequencing guidelines in place from the HSE".

well at least the Beacon know it was wrong ,which is more than some people on this tread
    Your quote missed some key piece

“ recognise that the decision that was made was not in line with the sequencing guidelines in place from the HSE however it was made under time pressure and with a view to ensuring that the vaccine did not go to waste.”

Ensuring the vaccine did not go to waste..,,
    So what they are saying is the guidelines are flawed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Who cares. Other people got vaccinated rather than dumping vaccines. Doesn't matter who they are or where they came from. We need to stop this outrage. Once the majority of vaccines are going to the right place I couldn't give a sh*te who gets the ones which would be otherwise dumped.

thomas 123 wrote: »

What we know:

- Firemen are on alert always they do not eat, just sit in their fire truck or some other fixed post
    - it’s normal for school Teachers to be in school after 4pm , but only in private schools, the 3 schools within 1km of the hospital were unworthy

Wrong about Firefighters. They could close a station for half hour or an hour to get injections, has been done before when needed for various reasons, just need to clear with Head Office but from what I understand they have been vaccinated already

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Whatever about double booking, there are also appointments going out at less than 24 hr notice. I am personally aware of a text received to a work mobile phone in wicklow at 7pm on a Sunday night, offering an appointment at 1pm the following day at The Aviva Stadium.

With the shortage of notice and travel time and distance involved in such cases, it is absolutely certain that some appointments will be missed - all the more reason to have the standby list up and running.

Oh yeah, some will be missed, no doubt. But to have ~30% of them to be double-booked for at least 2 venues leaves a massive amount of work to do on-the-fly. Something the HSE is not able for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Wrong about Firefighters. They could close a station for half hour or an hour to get injections, has been done before when needed for various reasons, just need to clear with Head Office but from what I understand they have been vaccinated already

My post was satire just to clarify !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No time for the priority list and the AZ isn’t suitable for many on it.

How does 1 call to get 20 people not make sense ?

Because no one would think that the fastest way to get 20 people together is to ring a school.

It makes absolutely no sense, it's a stupid way to try and get 20 people together, and there is far faster ways to find 20 people then to ring up a school and expect them to be available.

If it was during school hours then they would be teaching class and hence unavailable.

If it was after school hours, then the majority of staff would have already gone home.

It is a stupid explanation that is only being accepted by people incapable of their own independent critical thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

What we know:

- and this is completely unprecedented. The Beacon couldn't possibly have known that this might happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I have no issue with the teachers themselves receiving the vaccine. Teachers to my mind should be a little further up the list like gardai/firemen etc as frontline staff. But its the optics and principle of the whole things. It looks dreadful and stinks of the CEO looking after his own. It might only be 20 vaccines or whatever, but the CEO is not there to play god with who gets vaccinated and when surely? those decisions have already been made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Cerco

Hospitals are cancelling surgeries every single day of the week. That's a patient safety concern.

Should all the staff be sacked?

Folks, can we keep some perspective here please. Be angry if you want but for ****ed sake think out your desired actions a little more

Staff be sacked in hospitals following public health procedures?? certainly not but in this case the CEO should be!

This is the third such incident of this nature, He is probably taking some comfort in the lack of any consequences in the two previous transgressions.

astrofool wrote: »
    Because no one would think that the fastest way to get 20 people together is to ring a school.

It makes absolutely no sense, it's a stupid way to try and get 20 people together, and there is far faster ways to find 20 people then to ring up a school and expect them to be available.

If it was during school hours then they would be teaching class and hence unavailable.

If it was after school hours, then the majority of staff would have already gone home.

It is a stupid explanation that is only being accepted by people incapable of their own independent critical thought.

Pretty much this. If the 4.30 time is accurate then it's a clear fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The issue is the CEO not looking for more suitable candidates not that teachers got it

The teachers should have known better though. This sort of thing happened before and there was serious criticism.

They weren't sheep in all this.

Have you been in a secondary school? They deal with about 200 children everyday and Primary might be one class but unmasked and some are taller then the teachers.

Thanks for the reply but you didn't contradict what I said. Teachers deal with the same people day in day out makes contact tracing easy.

What we know:

1.option worked , no need for option 2
    2. Yes, they wait for a call , if they had notice they could make arrangements for cover
    3. Generally only 1 or 2 in station, the rest are all out. Deffo not 20 available
    4. That’s just a stupid comment
    5. Less than a hour to go. Yes
    6. That’s just a stupid comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭carveone

hynesie08 wrote: »

From the statement from the Beacon, they'd spent Tuesday vaccinating 1096 HSE staff. There were 200 HSE no shows. The Beacon got a whole bunch of HSE staff redirected to the Beacon in time but still had 20 left over.

This is the AZ vaccine so, as far as I know, is (was?) restricted to under 70s. The Beacon is doing this on a no cost basis. It still looks bad and the Beacon has said it shouldn't have happened but obviously people are still looking for their pound of flesh over 20 doses, ignoring the millions of doses going to waste in the EU.

Didn't at least 100 Pfizer doses have to be recently binned earlier because the nursing home (or HSE) didn't store them properly. Didn't see much outrage about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They chose a private school over a national one 3 minutes away. Over at least one patient we know of in their own care. Over local frontline workers in markets and such.
    That's the issue. Favouritism with a vaccine during a pandemic.

This is the bit I dont get because the Beacon Hospital has 180 beds. Is the CEO of this hospital with nearly a couple of hundred patients in their care seriously expecting us to believe that he couldnt have found 20 non vaccinated patients in the very hospital where the vaccines were located? Any patient in his hospital is at higher risk of catching Covid just by virtue of them being in the hospital in the first place.

Yet instead of looking after the patients under their care they hand them out to teachers in a school miles away. Id imagine he's got a lot of very angry patients staying there now, they paid their thousands in fees yet the hospital CEO neglected to priortise the health of the hospital patients.

Pretty much this. If the 4.30 time is accurate then it's a clear fix.

I teach primary and there are often at least 20 teachers in my school after 430 might not be a fix.

Look the CEO chanced his arm to help out his children's school, he should not have done it and should be held accountable but the school should not be blamed.

The issue is not the teachers, it is the CEO pulling a fast one.

However teachers should be further up the priority list especially in light of the increasing numbers of cases among children.

1.option worked , no need for option 2
    2. Yes, they wait for a call , if they had notice they could make arrangements for cover
    3. Generally only 1 or 2 in station, the rest are all out. Deffo not 20 available
    4. That’s just a stupid comment
    6. That’s just a stupid comment

Interesting, if you don't agree with something, it's a stupid comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Who cares. Other people got vaccinated rather than dumping vaccines. Doesn't matter who they are or where they came from. We need to stop this outrage. Once the majority of vaccines are going to the right place I couldn't give a sh*te who gets the ones which would be otherwise dumped.

False argument pretending it was a choice between what happened and dumping the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

sydthebeat wrote: »
    But instead they rang the local school.... Where the teachers interact with many more people per day than 'cops' or fire men

Shock horror....

that's a load of hoop, teachers are in a controlled enviornment, the Guards could have to go around arresting drunks, druggies, breaking up fights, going into houses breaking covid rules etc god knows what diseases the high class members of society the guards have to deal with are carrying , even pre covid.

Parents can't get in the front gate of their schools, there's masks for older kids, hand sanitizer, windows left open if no ventilation !!!
    I remeber someone from an emergency service telling me about junkies with aids spitting blood on them on purpose.... so anyone working in any of the emergeny services need to be done before the teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Well, to be fair, the comments he pointed out were actually stupid comments.

It’s stupid comment , end of.

“ mental health service users roam around but individually only”

I teach primary and there are often at least 20 teachers in my school after 430 might not be a fix.

Look the CEO chanced his arm to help out his children's school, he should not have done it and should be held accountable but the school should not be blamed.

The issue is not the teachers, it is the CEO pulling a fast one.

However teachers should be further up the priority list especially in light of the increasing numbers of cases among children.

When I was in school the final bell went at 3.45 and by 4.00 there would be 3 cars left in the car park. I had a teaching position lined up last year and it hadn't changed, within 10 minutes of the final bell there were fewer than 10 staff there out of ~65 within a few minutes of the last bell.
    Pretending they didn't know what was going on or that it was wrong is a nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

.. to go before what? they clocked off for the evening?

The vials last for six hours, and I doubt that the last two were unsealed at 11am that morning.

When I was in school the final bell went at 3.45 and by 4.00 there would be 3 cars left in the car park. I had a teaching position lined up last year and it hadn't changed, within 10 minutes of the final bell there were fewer than 10 staff there out of ~65 within a few minutes of the last bell.
    Pretending they didn't know what was going on or that it was wrong is a nonsense.

Would you believe that things change in schools, I know cos I work in one and regualrly would be there till 5

• Advertisement
Advertisement