Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger here today.

Just sayin’

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lot of anger here today.

Just sayin’

:(

Yeh , can you blame people ? Corruption is an awful thing and makes people very angry .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yeh , can you blame people ? Corruption is an awful thing and makes people very angry .

No, I can not, effendi..... no I can not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Cyrus wrote: »
    i am flabbergasted that you think this constitutes criminal negligence,

i hope you aren't a practicing solicitor.

Yeah in fairness the moral compass around the beacon is spinning. Hard to tell which way is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No one here knows the health status of principal and teachers in the six other schools that are much closer to the Beacon, but were passed over in favour of the school that the Beacon CEO's kids attend.

You can choose not to be angered if you wish, but this was very poor practice by a health institution leader.

Best sanction is VHI refuse to cover the Beacon,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

i am flabbergasted that you think this constitutes criminal negligence,

i hope you aren't a practicing solicitor.

You've taken offence to everything on this thread apart from the fact that a hospital CEO prioritised his own network over cancer patients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You've taken offence to everything on this thread apart from the fact that a hospital CEO prioritised his own network over cancer patients.

Not at all but some posts can’t be left unremarked upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

GazzaL wrote: »
    Comical. Bringing vaccines home to get the wife and kids sorted while people in much greater need are overlooked.

The medical community in Ireland are really letting themselves down.

Some of the medical community .

• Site Banned Posts: 16 RoseStick

Mrsmum wrote: »
    You're in the post office at Christmas and the queue is out the door and round the corner. All types of people in the queue with lots of older and frail looking people too, all taking their turn. But then the person behind the counter suddenly stands up and says - hey Mary, Jack, Suzie, Gordon etc for twenty names out of the queue, come on up here to the top of the queue, shure don't I know ye. Don't ye be minding any old queue. So would you be fine with that. Well Beacon/St Gerards situation far far worse, could be life and death worse.

That's not comparable. You'd have to have thousands of people in the queue ahead of you to make it comparable.

• Advertisement

Not at all but some posts can’t be left unremarked upon.

So you are "flabbergasted" that cancer patients were marked down the priority list relative to the CO'S kid's school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

h2005 wrote: »
    Oh FFS are you for real? The doctor should be struck off. The vaccines belong to the nation not the doctor.

I find it really bizarre that people are putting their jobs/reputation on the line for this vaccine.

Even if you got the vaccine nothing is open, there's still absolutely no where to go. I could half understand it if you were suddenly given advanced levels of freedom etc but we are still in lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Treppen

I find it really bizarre that people are putting their jobs/reputation on the line for this vaccine.

Even if you got the vaccine nothing is open, there's still absolutely no where to go. I could half understand it if you were suddenly given advanced levels of freedom etc but we are still in lockdown.

Ya but at least you've a better chance at staying alive !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

No doubt the Beacon CEO is a bit of a creep, a climber and a <fill in your favourite blank>. However there is no evidence that he is evil. He is not diverting vaccines to St. Gerrard's because he thinks he is saving his preferred lives. As CEO of a premium private hospital, he has seen many many data sets on Covid along with the accompanying expert consultations. He sees getting a few vaccines for that school as nothing more than a Wicklow community goodwill gesture. If he thought there was real life/death exposure, he would never risk his business (money) for a few random teachers. And - if he thought there was any real risk - he would long since have ripped his kids straight out of that school environment toot sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Treppen

Lol so true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Best sanction is VHI refuse to cover the Beacon,

Which illustrates nicely the serious concern about conflict of interest between the VHI and the Beacon. The VHI is supposed to be negotiating to get best value from the Beacon. They have the purchasing power on behalf of the large number of policy holders they represent. They're the ones who should be pushing the prices paid to the Beacon down, or at least holding them steady.

If the CEO of the VHI is under a compliment to the CEO of the Beacon, that does not bode well for VHI customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

The ICU doctor who I live with has not met anybody outside work since Christmas Day. He stays late in work every day. His elderly parents have yet to be vaccinated. He gives his life to his profession. There are many good doctors out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

h2005 wrote: »
    Oh FFS are you for real? The doctor should be struck off. The vaccines belong to the nation not the doctor.

While he should be he won't be - Doctors/Consultants know that the hospitals need them more than they need the hospital.

Dare I say that some of these healthcare professionals are no different to the bankers around the time of the crash - consider themselves untouchable and do whatever they like, whether right or wrong. The fact that the head lad of the Coombe still hasn't resigned proves it more than anything.

Treppen wrote: »
    Lol so true

Lol

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Coombe posts moved to relevant thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

72sheep wrote: »
    No doubt the Beacon CEO is a bit of a creep, a climber and a <fill in your favourite blank>. However there is no evidence that he is evil. He is not diverting vaccines to St. Gerrard's because he thinks he is saving his preferred lives. As CEO of a premium private hospital, he has seen many many data sets on Covid along with the accompanying expert consultations. He sees getting a few vaccines for that school as nothing more than a Wicklow community goodwill gesture. If he thought there was real life/death exposure, he would never risk his business (money) for a few random teachers. And - if he thought there was any real risk - he would long since have ripped his kids straight out of that school environment toot sweet!

Sure, but the vaccines are not his or his hospital's property. It was bought by the government using public funds, or borrowed funds, that taxpayers will fund. What he has done is put himself on the firing line by making this decision to give vaccines outside of the agreed protocol with the HSE and the Government. He should be fully prepared to take the flak for this.

We all have to live by our actions and sometimes those actions have severe consequences. This action should cost him his job as he seemingly defied what his hospital stands for (board statement), defied the HSE and their guidance and then apparently lied to the school as well which brought them flak.

And let's be honest, private hospitals are there to make money. If they were altruistic they would have all chipped in to help with the many long waiting lists for people that need surgeries or treatment and that have no private insurance in Ireland. But they are there to make money for their investors, and I don't doubt they saw potential in opening a vaccination clinic at their hospital as it would bring future rewards. We won't know if that was monetary or access to valuable vaccines. If I was a cynic I would say this was in the minds of those higher ups at Beacon, that they could have access to a product that is valuable and that private citizens cannot access at this time, no matter how much money they have. Imagine the power that gives them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Front page of the latest Wicklow Times.

http://wicklowtimes.net/latest-issue/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

Enzokk wrote: »
    If I was a cynic I would say this was in the minds of those higher ups at Beacon, that they could have access to a product that is valuable and that private citizens cannot access at this time, no matter how much money they have. Imagine the power that gives them...

Being a cynic does not mean you are wrong!
    At the start of the vaccine program the Beacon refused to participate. They apparently reluctantly got involved after opprobrium from politicians and HSE bosses. What caused the change of mind? Was it the opportunity to use the vaccines to garner favours, as you imply? Was it the CEO alone who made the decision to participate or was the board involved?

is_that_so wrote: »

Yea the HSE stated that they did not approve vaccinations for the school.

Very little info coming from the Beacon.

What’s the current state of play I wonder.

Yea the HSE stated that they did not approve vaccinations for the school.

To be fair I doubt they felt the need to ring the HSE to double check.

They will stick to their story that they asked the CEO and he assured them it was fine.....very hard to prove without a call recording that that didn't happen.

I do think the school has suffered severe reputational damage....if I paid close to 100K in fees I'd be absolutely fuming right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hunker down, keep schtum, wait for this to die down and something else to distract next week, send Stephen and Paul a few Easter Eggs, book flights to Brands Hatch for May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

josip wrote:
    Hunker down, keep schtum, wait for this to die down and something else to distract next week.

I think Eugene McCague's investigation is what is happening next.

josip wrote: »
    Hunker down, keep schtum, wait for this to die down and something else to distract next week, send Stephen and Paul a few Easter Eggs, book flights to Brands Hatch for May.

It's hard to know if it will blow over anytime soon...it's a double edge sword that the school is on easter break....the first day back there maybe renewed interest in the story.

I would absolutely love to be a fly in the staffroom that day.

Or will the other 80 teachers have flu like symptoms and need to isolate for 2 weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

They are starting an independent investigation. I guess that will take weeks at the very least.

I'd say this happens regularly. The difference in the Beacon is he got caught. Other stories just haven't been proved yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pringles123

is_that_so wrote: »

The only question I have is if this was so above board why was it not commonly known among all staff members in the school that others got vaccinated. Why the secrecy and not an email sent out to staff saying whoever can make it to the beacon and 6 o clock reply, first come first served. They're all equally at risk so why were some sent and others unaware about it.

• Advertisement

The only question I have is if this was so above board why was it not commonly known among all staff members in the school that others got vaccinated. Why the secrecy and not an email sent out to staff saying whoever can make it to the beacon and 6 o clock reply, first come first served. They're all equally at risk so why were some sent and others unaware about it.

Golden circle....or maybe the ones that come in direct contact with "certain people" linked to the ceo.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pringles123

Golden circle....or maybe the ones that come in direct contact with "certain people" linked to the ceo.

Even though the golden circles exist in every school, and the ceo point is an interesting one, the main point im trying to make is the level of secrecy by the school if this was approved by the HSE. I dont care for the golden circle because thats internal problems but the school is trying to do damage control and I am calling BS.

Even though the golden circles exist in every school, and the ceo point is an interesting one, the main point im trying to make is the level of secrecy by the school if this was approved by the HSE. I dont care for the golden circle because thats internal problems but the school is trying to do damage control and I am calling BS.

Oh I totally agree, there's definitely holes in their story. I don't think they were that clueless that they thought hey we're jumping 7 tiers and it's all above board.

However it's very hard to disprove what they are saying unless the calls are recorded which I highly doubt.

So they will stick to the mantra of "unsolicited call to us, we asked if it was ok, we've done nothing wrong"etc.

They are kicking it firmly back to the Beacon and I highly doubt that the CEO will be forthcoming with anything.... definitely won't be saying the vaccines are offered on the proviso that they are used on the teachers that come into contact with "people I'm close to"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

[QUOTE=Princess Calla;116769734
    Or will the other 80 teachers have flu like symptoms and need to isolate for 2 weeks?[/QUOTE]

WHy would this occur?

khalessi wrote: »
    WHy would this occur?

Well a few years ago at Christmas my manager at the time rocked in with a bottle of wine for one of my colleagues to say thanks for their hard work.

The rest of us in the room were left open mouthed , we were not aware of any additional tasks this employee had undertaken or anything like that to warrant why they were deserving of a bottle of wine and we were not.

Now it's a bottle of wine not exactly break the bank stuff , but it would still get a random mention, months after the fact. It certainly didn't make us feel like valued members of the team....but you get over that.

This situation you are talking about a life saving vaccine , might allow people visit relatives that are sick etc

I'd imagine some of the 80 teachers have received some levels of negativity since the story broke. Some may find the whole saga fairly stressful especially as they are innocent pawns in the debacle.

Some may feel less than motivated to get out of bed at the start of term and ring in sick. Some may feel let the golden 20 deal with the extra work load.

I've seen people signed off work on stress for situations less stressful than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Seems to be a few posters who’s only issue is the fact teachers got these vaccines and even worse teachers in a private school.

Ye would have thought said same posters would be all over the other thread about family members from the Combe getting the vaccine citing corruption yet not a sign of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Gardai should be making arrests for thief in both Coombe and Beacon

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Well if the Gardai are investigating and found guilty- yes.

Not sure if they are involved in either event.

Fairly robust ‘ cone of silence’ around the whole thing.

Given those ‘involved ‘ I’d suggest the lads down in the dusty files and stiff collars department are watching closely.

Hmmm..

I have to say fair play to the whistle blowers in both of the recent nepotism scandals. If not for them this corruption would be kept secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Get Real

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Someone from either needs to come and say "these were stolen" and be willing to be present in court to say the same for a prosecution to stick. The wall of silence from both, leads me to believe nobody will be stepping forward to make a claim of theft.

In which case, if its not theft (I think it should be) an independent medical professional will need to establish who gave permission to take the vaccines home and recommend a course of action.

Get Real wrote: »
    Someone from either needs to come and say "these were stolen" and be willing to be present in court to say the same for a prosecution to stick. The wall of silence from both, leads me to believe nobody will be stepping forward to make a claim of theft.

In which case, if its not theft (I think it should be) an independent medical professional will need to establish who gave permission to take the vaccines home and recommend a course of action.

I'm pretty certain it was referred to as theft in the dail, now I think it was paul murphy that said it so not sure how much weight it will have , as he seems to moan about absolutely everything, but in this case he is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Will the 20 teachers get their 2nd Pfizer dose as scheduled now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

BettyS wrote: »
    Will the 20 teachers get their 2nd Pfizer dose as scheduled now?

Of course this is Ireland so they will argue the first 20 would go to waste if they are not scheduled in for the next 20.

As a form of punishment for being asshole queue jumpers I recommend it is administered anally.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

jmayo wrote: »
    Of course this is Ireland so they will argue the first 20 would go to waste if they are not scheduled in for the next 20.

As a form of punishment for being asshole queue jumpers I recommend it is administered anally.
    Well, they have to. Despite their lack of shame/understanding it would be a poor public health decision not to do so.

Well a few years ago at Christmas my manager at the time rocked in with a bottle of wine for one of my colleagues to say thanks for their hard work.

The rest of us in the room were left open mouthed , we were not aware of any additional tasks this employee had undertaken or anything like that to warrant why they were deserving of a bottle of wine and we were not.

Now it's a bottle of wine not exactly break the bank stuff , but it would still get a random mention, months after the fact. It certainly didn't make us feel like valued members of the team....but you get over that.

This situation you are talking about a life saving vaccine , might allow people visit relatives that are sick etc

I'd imagine some of the 80 teachers have received some levels of negativity since the story broke. Some may find the whole saga fairly stressful especially as they are innocent pawns in the debacle.

Some may feel less than motivated to get out of bed at the start of term and ring in sick. Some may feel let the golden 20 deal with the extra work load.

I've seen people signed off work on stress for situations less stressful than this one.

Are there some special privileges conferred on those that have had half the vaccine that I’m not aware of ? I was under the impression that they are subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us. So visiting sick relatives will be out of the question regardless.

• Advertisement

Are there some special privileges conferred on those that have had half the vaccine that I’m not aware of ? I was under the impression that they are subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us. So visiting sick relatives will be out of the question regardless.

No there's no benefit whatsoever in getting the vaccine, none, absolutely none.

With that in mind I'm not sure why they felt the need to skip the queue or keep it secret from their colleagues. Or indeed get the vaccine at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

There is a benefit, they can meet other vaccinated people inside or outside once they are fully vaccinated, which they will be. This could be very beneficial for someone with elderly parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No there's no benefit whatsoever in getting the vaccine, none, absolutely none.
    Apart from the benefit of not dying of Covid and not getting long Covid and not getting Covid, you're absolutely right.

Apart from the benefit of not dying of Covid and not getting long Covid and not getting Covid, you're absolutely right.

I may have been sarcastic! :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have to say fair play to the whistle blowers in both of the recent nepotism scandals. If not for them this corruption would be kept secret.
    The thing we don't know is are there other cases that have not been made public

I would hope there is some central register somewhere that records all vaccines given, the recipient and what cohort they are in

The official stats now indicate 385 "not coded" (40 of whom have had their second dose). I think, in the interests of public confidence in the vaccine rollout, they should be providing some explanation of who is in this and why they are "not coded"

There may be some perfectly acceptable explanations of those 285, but it's only reasonable that explanations are given

And if someone says they don't know, well there are 245 of those individuals still due second doses so they can check them out when they turn up for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement