Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Queue the bury our heads in the sand brigade - nothing to see here folks.

What do you think will happen? There was already outrage over the children of the head of a hospital getting vaccinated when several vaccines were 'left' over. Of course it was too much of a stretch to contact the local Garda/Fire station and ask was anyone available.
    My son is a Guard regularly interacts with the public just yesterday he was detailed to check was someone quarantining after returning from a high risk country
    , he also is high risk as he donated a kidney last year but a private school teacher's health is far more important apparently. Maybe my son needs to make better social connections or acquire friends in high places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

errlloyd wrote: »
    Oh good, you know it well. So then you know it's so close that the travel time isn't material. What is material is whether you have their contact details and they are ready to go. I have no idea what the circumstances are, but if Gerard's teachers happened to be finishing a staff meeting, and were all in one place then they could be in the beacon in 11 minutes. If it was going to take five minutes of googling to get a number for a local school, and a few minutes on the phone to explain, and then ten minutes for them to get together you've blown your time.

In their statement they said they had 200 vaccines to use. So presumably that's where the first 180 went.

Lot of If's there.

How about this...you ring one of the wards of the building you are currently in and say does anyone need a vaccine who is currently interacting with our staff? Or even see if the contract cleaning staff want one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

People annoyed and angry, resulting in nothing. Queue the next outrage.

Any suggestions how we should make our anger known and how this can be stopped ?
    It’s going on more than we know and will carry on unless something is done

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

Also remember that private schools have a significant lower pupil-teacher ratio than public schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Again, as I said before. 11 minute drive according to Google maps. In real terms it is quite close.

Were all the teachers waiting to travel from the school just when the call was made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Sigh... I'd have happily travelled the couple of kms to get one of these. In group 4 and still no contact from anyone, GP says don't call, hospital says they have none... Gotta go for major surgery next week and the lack of protection is just another worry in a long list ... I'm all for wait your turn and also for don't waste vaccine, but cherry picking like this is super disappointing. Get organised with a better back up list lads 180 clearly wasn't enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lot of If's there.

How about this...you ring one of the wards of the building you are currently in and say does anyone need a vaccine who is currently interacting with our staff? Or even see if the contract cleaning staff want one?

Have to say this came to my mind also.

Given the hospital full of high risk and elderly patients how can there ever really be extras.

You could even wheel down anyone who is bed bound.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Any suggestions how we should make our anger known and how this can be stopped ?
    It’s going on more than we know and will carry on unless something is done

When has anyone in a position of authority actually cared what the wider public thinks?
    A politician only pretends to listen to you during election cycles.
    There is a an expression 'it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission'
    Even on Board's I have seen people defend the master of the hospital as a good person after it became public knowledge his children were vaccinated. People wil excuse any form of wrong doing in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Lot of If's there.

There is literally one "if", 'are they ready?' Because they're clearly close enough.

I think people here are mixing up their disdain for elite parents of private school children and the 'very much not elite' teachers of private school children for no good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Again, as I said before. 11 minute drive according to Google maps. In real terms it is quite close.

Gerard's is up a windy country road between bray and enniskerry, geographically close to but without direct access to, the motorway.you wouldn't cover that trip in 11 minutes at 430 in the afternoon on a ducati

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭thomas 123

There is literally one "if", 'are they ready?' Because they're clearly close enough.

I think people here are mixing up their disdain for elite parents of private school children and the 'very much not elite' teachers of private school children for no good reason.

It’s almost like they had some reason or interest in vaccinating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Haha . Theres a school right beside the Beacon . Why ring a private one in Bray ?

Yep.

I have no problem with teachers getting the jab. They deserve it.

But the Bray bit is is the problem.

When has anyone in a position of authority actually cared what the wider public thinks?
    A politician only pretends to listen to you during election cycles.
    There is a an expression 'it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission'
    Even on Board's I have seen people defend the master of the hospital as a good person after it became public knowledge his children were vaccinated. People wil excuse any form of wrong doing in this country.

What people defended was using them instead of binning them. Every single person ahead of me on the list getting vaccinated asap means I get it faster. How they get it matters not in this regard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

eggy81 wrote: »
    Especially seen as they’d be unlikely to all be there after hours. Which means they must have driven from their homes which were all close by too?
    Or it was pre planned.

Most teachers would be still there after hours esp in private school if it has residential. Deffo be at least 20 teachers around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If they were ready
    If they were having a staff meeting
    If they were all in one place

again, lot of ifs.

Just cos someone has a few quid doesn't make them elite. I've no issue with them schools or the parents; I have an issue with people using their position to the detriment of people who needed the vaccine more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is anyone else really really really interested to know if this Beacons CEO’s kids are doing the leaving cert and going to be subject to their teachers assessment of grades this year

Wouldn’t that be right funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Should any of the teachers not questioned what was going on and volunteered their places to more deserving?

What people defended was using them instead of binning them. Every single person ahead of me on the list getting vaccinated asap means I get it faster. How they get it matters in the regard

Apologies but I don't buy the binned claim. I won't name the hospital where the masters family members were vaccinated but I can tell you there is a Garda station and Fire station less than 10 minutes away. I don't find it credible that no on duty members were available to take a shot rather no call was made.Personally I believe the health of a frontline worker is paramount importance at the moment of course my son being one may influence my opinion . We can stay home, that option doesn't exist for them.

Granadino wrote: »
    Should any of the teachers not questioned what was going on and volunteered their places to more deserving?

Self preservation is a strong motivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

Absolutely disgusting but to be honest this happens because theres never any consequences for those with a hard neck who break the Rules. A kick in the teeth for those who obey the rules and a moral disgrace by all those involves. It goes to show theres no linkage between Education and Morality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

While vaccinating these teachers is morally wrong, at least they are interacting with hundreds of students on a daily basis, unlike the HSE and Tulsa staff who are working from home and have no contact with the public, who are being vaccinated in large numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭hynesie08

eggy81 wrote: »
    Especially seen as they’d be unlikely to all be there after hours. Which means they must have driven from their homes which were all close by too?
    Or it was pre planned.

I absolutely believe a cheeky call was made when they realised there were 200 extra vaccines, and teachers found an excuse to stay back.

It's whether or not anyone was intentionally overlooked that should be the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Probably but a lot of teachers are high risk and working in an environment which Prof Nolan said there were no new safety mitigations instigated this term. When asked about protection against B117 he replied he has hope and optimism that previous measures would work.

So when you are left with no proper safety measures I would say yes to the injection.

The teachers are not the issue here. THE CEO is for prioritising them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You're in work till 4, you get a heads up that there might be vaccines available after hours, but if you're not there when the call arrives, tough ****. Where do you find this "more deserving" person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭thomas 123

khalessi wrote: »
    Probably but a lot of teachers are high risk and working in an environment which Prof Nolan said there were no new safety mitigations insitigated this term. When asked about protection against B117 he replied he has hope and optimism that previous measures would work.

So when you are left with no proper safety measures I would say yes to the injection.

The teachers are not the issue here. THE CEO is for prioritising them.

Teachers 100% not the issue here and I think it’s deflection to say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Is it any wonder people are breaking restrictions when they see this carry on going on all around them . Honestly , asking us to " do more " while this ****e is going on is a farce

Is it any wonder people are breaking restrictions when they see this carry on going on all around them . Honestly , asking us to " do more " while this ****e is going on is a farce

George Orwell. ' Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

khalessi wrote: »
    Most teachers would be still there after hours esp in private school if it has residential. Deffo be at least 20 teachers around

Of course they would be !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

The no shows were people who were double booked , in the Beacon and Aviva at the same time . Not just random people who couldn’t be arsed
    It was an admin error .

I appreciate that, I'm just saying what is coming down the tracks when these plebs think it'll be a big laugh to book appointments and not show up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I absolutely believe a cheeky call was made when they realised there were 200 extra vaccines, and teachers found an excuse to stay back.

It's whether or not anyone was intentionally overlooked that should be the question.

Probably the most likely scenario alright.

Advertisement