Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/fresh-outbreak-covid-19-under-23824311

Surprised this hasn't gained more media attention. I know of a person who has had planned surgery cancelled twice this week due to staff shortages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

jmayo wrote:
    The HSE had no contact with the school.

Has anyone say they did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

almostover wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/fresh-outbreak-covid-19-under-23824311

Surprised this hasn't gained more media attention. I know of a person who has had planned surgery cancelled twice this week due to staff shortages.

The timing really couldn't be worse!

I do think there's an argument for anyone that has an overnight stay (or more than 2 nights or something) to get a vaccine.

I personally know a few people that went in with one thing and caught covid and sadly didn't make it.....now they could equally have died regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭josip

First Up wrote: »
    I think it was the HSE who told the school they couldn't use all of the vaccines. Who else could it have been?
    jmayo wrote: »
    Has anyone say they did?

This is getting ridiculous.

josip wrote:
    This is getting ridiculous.

Mea culpa - my typo; It should have read the HSE told the Beacon they couldn't use all the vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No, that's not what it means. It's a vaccine like all others.

It:
    A, greatly reduces the chance of getting the illness but does not eliminate it
    B, where a person still gets sick, their body fights the illness much more effectively thereby reducing symptoms
    C, by fighting the illness quicker it reduces the ability of the virus to utilize the carrier and spread.

How effective across the board is in the air as it's new. Some will probable prove to be better then others. If we require boosters or not. Time is needed to determine all of this.

You can still get the flu, chicken pox, etc even after being vaccinated.

thats what i said just worded differently.

I see someone is signing up to the Trump playbook of saying something often enough in the hope that people start to actually belief.

Oh and the principals lost the right to anonymity when they decided to take up an offer of vaccines for some of their staff, despite it not being in any way their turn.

Anyone, but those that see this "you scratch my back I scratch yours, it is who I know" as a valid way of doing things in life despite the point there are some who are way more deserving, sees this whole thing as a case of looking after your mates and two fingers to the rest of us.

This isn't simply about jumping a queue and getting in early for something, it could actually mean someones life.

And by the looks of things there are a good few posters around here who would love us to go back to the days when the rich and entitled ones were the first into the lifeboats.

From gerards statement they are saying that they thought they had the HSE's permission...... basically washing their hands of it....doing a pontius pilate onit is fitting considering it's easter :D

From gerards statement they are saying that they thought they had the she's permission...... basically washing their hands of it....doing a pontius pilate onit is fitting considering it's easter

I don't think that is fair. If Gerard's were told it was cleared by the HSE they were acting in good faith. Who could blame them for accepting an offer of vaccines?

Presumably the investigation will confirm who said what to who.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

If I was a teacher in St Gerard's not offered the vaccine I could live with it. However if I was a teacher not offered the vaccine and colleagues of mine were asked to not divulge that they were vaccinated I would be livid.

If the selection was done fairly I would see no need for secrecy. But what is fair?

Someone vulnerable
    Someone in their 60's
    Someone living with an extremely vulnerable parent
    Someone with a vulnerable partner/child at home.

Like i say the vaccinations I could live with even if not totally fair. The secrecy surrounding it from colleagues i could not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If I was a teacher in St Gerard's not offered the vaccine I could live with it. However if I was a teacher not offered the vaccine and colleagues of mine were asked to not divulge that they were vaccinated I would be livid.

If the selection was done fairly I would see no need for secrecy. But what is fair?

Someone vulnerable
    Someone in their 60's

Like i say the vaccinations I could live with even if not totally fair. The secrecy surrounding it from colleagues i could not.

Following the ‘crystal clear’ protocol, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Mea culpa - my typo; It should have read the HSE told the Beacon they couldn't use all the vaccines.

Yeah school and Beacon are so easily mistyped.

Did you learn latin at your school ?
    I don't think that is fair. If Gerard's were told it was cleared by the HSE they were acting in good faith. Who could blame them for accepting an offer of vaccines?

Presumably the investigation will confirm who said what to who.

Yeah because the HSE are telling vaccine dispensers to give away spare vaccines to people that are way down the agreed pecking order list and most especially to ones that are miles away from the actual location.

PS who made the decision that everyone should keep stum about this to their colleagues ?

You must think we all came down in the last shower. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Following the ‘crystal clear’ protocol, I reckon.

What 'crystal clear' protocol is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I feel a bit of schadenfreude when I think of the CEO gleefully thinking how his children will benefit from more attention and favouritism by his teachers after the little gift. That definitely didn’t work out as he planned. I suspect, with all due respect to the professionalism of the teachers, that it will be very challenging for them to teach the CEO’s children now. On a less gleeful note, the poor children will suffer a lot because of the stupidity of their father

BettyS wrote: »
    I feel a bit of schadenfreude when I think of the CEO gleefully thinking how his children will benefit from more attention and favouritism by his teachers after the little gift. That definitely didn’t work out as he planned. I suspect, with all due respect to the professionalism of the teachers, that it will be very challenging for them to teach the CEO’s children now. On a less gleeful note, the poor children will suffer a lot because of the stupidity of their father

I think gleefully and gleeful are not used correctly here and I also think you underestimate or totally misunderstand the professionalism of teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What 'crystal clear' protocol is that?

The priority list the HSE outlined after the last nepotism scandal.

I think gleefully and gleeful are not used correctly here and I also think you underestimate or totally misunderstand the professionalism of teachers.

Wow! I bow to your superiority! Correct the point, not the grammar or semantics. No need to be obnoxious, Kathleen. This is a forum between adults, not a classroom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Wow! I bow to your superiority! Correct the point, not the grammar or semantics. No need to be obnoxious, Kathleen. This is a forum between adults, not a classroom.

I think you misunderstood the post . Teachers wouldn’t be “ gleeful” about the outbreak .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They might in the short term because teachers will not want to be seen to be giving them any preferential treatment.
    But in the long term they will benefit hugely from Daddy and his connections.

People will remember daddy looks after people connected to them.

This is Ireland, just look at a lot of the posters here that see nothing wrong with what he did.
    These people would break their necks to be friends with him and his kids.

I am not allowed discuss …

They might in the short term because teachers will not want to be seen to be giving them any preferential treatment.
    But in the long term they will benefit hugely from Daddy and his connections.

People will remember daddy looks after people connected to them.

This is Ireland, just look at a lot of the posters here that see nothing wrong with what he did.
    These people would break their necks to be friends with him and his kids.

Will it ever change here? Is there anywhere that is more of a meritocracy?

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote:
    Did you learn latin at your school ?

Ouch. That really hurt.

I am not a teacher. I didn't feel I was acting superior but if you see it that way read it back after the rest of my post. It was not about grammar or semantics. I certainly did not intend to be obnoxious. I was just pointing out that nobody in the current climate would be "gleeful" or react "gleefully" if any person or group got the virus.

jmayo wrote:
    Yeah because the HSE are telling vaccine dispensers to give away spare vaccines to people that are way down the agreed pecking order list and most especially to ones that are miles away from the actual location.

I'm simply telling you that the school said they were told by the Beacon it had been agreed by the HSE. The McCague investigation should be able to find out if that is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I'm simply telling you that the school said they were told by the Beacon it had been agreed by the HSE. The McCague investigation should be able to find out if that is true.

That's like getting caught robbing and saying my esteemed learned friend who we are paying will decide if any fraud was indeed committed. :pac:

Just because it's a private company doesn't mean they can pick a corporate lawyer to 'investigate', issue a report saying it was a big misunderstanding.

Sure everyone would do that.

"Sorry you were speeding......"

"Well gord, don't worry about it. I'll get my barrister friend to investigate and get back to ya"

I'd say they'd entertain that alright.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I would. So would anyone ive spoken to about it.

Would anyone admit publicly that they would? No.

Don't agree with this at all, far too simplistic.

I would absolutely refuse the vaccine if offered it under the table right now. Why? Because I'm not one bit scared of getting covid. Couldn't give a toss about it, getting the vaccine won't make me feel one bit safer.

Fact is that a vaccine won't improve my life one bit, but what would is everybody else getting a vaccine so that I will be allowed to go and live a normal life again. If I get a vaccine I'm still not allowed to do things I enjoy, but if some vulnerable person gets it I'm at least a step closer to that normality end goal.

I'll take the vaccine when my turn comes, absolutely, but if I get a phone call tonight saying come for a sneaky jab then I am saying no and telling them to give it to a better candidate. And that isn't some internet boast, thats just plain logic and common sense.

That's like getting caught robbing and saying my esteemed learned friend who we are paying will decide if any fraud was indeed committed.

I see you are approaching it with an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah completely impartial.
    Will be very impartial no doubt. ;)

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/wit-and-wisdom-of-banking-world-1.249462
    Charlie McCreevy came armed with a script to "bash" the assembled troops at last week's Institute of Bankers dinner. Having duly delivered the lash to the tuxedoed troops, he then, following time-honoured tradition, rose to toast the Institute. But - oops! - he asked the masses to toast the "Irish Bankers' Federation", the industry's lobbying and representative group. But nobody seemed to mind. The star turn was the after-dinner speaker, solicitor Eugene McCague from Arthur Cox - who is to be the firm's next managing partner. Referring to the Minister as the man who put the "dare into Kildare" he went on to tell a tale of how he had prepared stock phrases to make small talk with the luminaries of the banking world. One was greeted with "You'd notice the change in the hour, all the same," another with "It's a grand night for November" and a third with "Are you looking forward to the Christmas?"
    Then, McCague related, the crowds parted and who approached with hand outstretched but the Minister himself. All he could think to blurt out was "Did you get away for the holidays at all?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Someone vulnerable
    Someone in their 60's

No doubt the principal would have to be selective as to who to ring...

Unless there was an attempt to contact everybody... and so what then if the principal contacted everyone, that would have been too many... And a judgement as to who needed it the most would have to be made.

Either way the CEO of the beacon handed the principal a Sophie's Choice.

I know at least two teachers in my school who would be in serious need of the vaccine (family risk) but have not revealed it to the principal or anyone else.

Unless maybe the principal held a raffle....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I just looked up the updates on this story.

So the Beacon rang up St. Gerard's, the school say that the Beacon claim the HSE authorised the vaccinations to staff there, the staff believed that they couldn't find someone more suitable (cancer patients ect) and finally the HSE said that the Beacon's account about HSE authorisation is not accurate.

Whoever's in the wrong here it looks bad. A private school, a private hospital or a health board may be lying. We should be embarrassed that some people embrace this state of affairs.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I just looked up the updates on this story.

So the Beacon rang up St. Gerard's, the school say that the Beacon claim the HSE authorised the vaccinations to staff there, the staff believed that they couldn't find someone more suitable (cancer patients ect) and finally the HSE said that the Beacon's account about HSE authorisation is not accurate.

Whoever's in the wrong here it looks bad. A private school, a private hospital or a health board may be lying. We should be embarrassed that some people embrace this state of affairs.

As I said earlier gerards have washed their hands of it. They have kicked the ball firmly back into the ceo's corner.

I doubt we will ever know the conversation word for word. Gerards will stick to their story that they asked the ceo if everything was above board.

The HSE will hold firm that there is a priority listing issued and no one should deviate from it. I suspect this is true after the Coombe fiasco.

So both are squarely pointing the finger at the CEO.

I do find it interesting that both the principal of the junior school and headmaster of the senior school entered into discussion about the initial 5 vaccinations.

That might be normal due process for the school that everything gets discussed between both faculties. Though for 5 doses in a "time sensitive scenario" it seems abit overkill....the cynic in me is thinking safety in numbers , they both can't be fired (or so they assume) .

But again I'd love to know how the first 5 were selected and the subsequent 15.

Staff morale is definitely going to be an issue next term.

Advertisement