Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Treppen wrote: »
    No doubt the principal would have to be selective as to who to ring...

Unless there was an attempt to contact everybody... and so what then if the principal contacted everyone, that would have been too many... And a judgement as to who needed it the most would have to be made.

Either way the CEO of the beacon handed the principal a Sophie's Choice.

I know at least two teachers in my school who would be in serious need of the vaccine (family risk) but have not revealed it to the principal or anyone else.

Unless maybe the principal held a raffle....

Was the choice yes or no or was the choice who to choose? Principal could have said no..Principal might have contacted people on staff who genuinely needed it. Principal might be able to stand over who they chose. Unforgivable thing for me is the secrecy, if it's secret that means something is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

https://twitter.com/hughescraig90/status/1377389407309721601

surely most healthcare workers have the first jab by now, is this system needed anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

surely most healthcare workers have the first jab by now, is this system needed anymore?

Ah here, St. Gerard's and HSE employee to one side, this country is a cesspit of corruption and deceit. And the worst of it all? I am not even surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

First Up wrote: »
    I have not seen anything from the HSE, other than them distancing themselves from the arrangement with St Gerard's.

I don't know anything about the communications between the Beacon and the HSE, or why the Beacon didn't give the spare vaccines to patients in their own premises, or why the Beacon chose to use St Gerard's to dispose of a small number of vaccines, or how St Gerard's nominated the 5 (later 20) teachers who would get the vaccines.

So why did you make up the stuff about the HSE approving the vaccines for the teachers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

RoseStick wrote: »
    I am a healthcare assistant and I received a vaccine at the end of a vaccine clinic. I went down the route of signing up to the hse portal for the vaccine. I wasn't expecting the vaccine so quick. My employer rang me one day to say there's a clinic popping up and recommended for me to leave my phone on all the time, to have it charged, to have it on me at all times.

Eventually I got a call to say there's a vaccine available. I made it my business to turn up for the vaccine.

I work in the country and I don't know anyone in Dublin and I don't know any of the teachers who were vaccinated. I'm telling my story about how I was added to the end of a vaccine clinic.

I can't see anything wrong with what happened from the Beacon. They were probably dipping into the community for one or 2 or 3 people in case there were any vaccine spares at the end of a clinic. It's possible one or two people from the school were put on standby and then when the day came and progressed, they got a call to gather 20 people. They probably never anticipated 20 no-shows and 20 spares. There will be a lot more of this as time goes on. The vaccines are just so precious. Clinics will have to dip into communities to use up any spares at the end of clinics. I don't think it's very fair to put vulnerable people into a standby mode for a couple of days in case a vaccine becomes available for them. I think that might cause more harm than good. I know if my mother got a call like that, that would cause her anxiety. I think it's only fair to give those on the list to receive the vaccine, an appointment for a guaranteed vaccine and not leave them hanging and waiting in case one becomes available.

Who are people to say these teachers are not worthy of a vaccine? Nobody here knows them or their circumstances. My vaccine has provided a level of protection for myself but also to my family and my work and my partner too. So I don't see 20 vulnerable people denied vaccine. I see 20 more people vaccinated that will lead to less spread of this disease.

they got the vaccine because of their connection to the CEO's children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So why did you make up the stuff about the HSE approving the vaccines for the teachers?

I didn't. I just repeated that St Gerard's says the Beacon told them it was approved by the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Some level of error and abuse is to be expected, but they should go back and audit it. One hopes that people had to show some form of photo ID that could be checked afterwards. It may be more time consuming to do that which is why it can't be done up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This country is a cesspit of corruption and deceit. And the worst of it all? I am not even surprised.

Hyperbolic nonsense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index#:~:text=South%20Sudan%20is%20also%20perceived,out%20of%20100%20in%202018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

First Up wrote: »
    I see you are approaching it with an open mind.

By the looks of it your mind is so open it is equivalent to a prairie.

BTW ever heard that wise old saying
    "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a bloody duck" ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

jmayo wrote:
    BTW ever heard that wise old saying "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a bloody duck" ?

Are you calling the doctors in the Beacon quacks?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 16 RoseStick

they got the vaccine because of their connection to the CEO's children

No one here knows that. No one here knows the health status of the principal and the hospital is not in a position to announce it to the world either. He doesn't look too far off from a qualifying age to receive vaccine and I fail to be angered and raged at the news here from the beacon. At the end of the day there's 20 more people vaccinated and vaccines have not been wasted. Hopefully there will be a ramp up in the vaccination programme as promised.

There will be more of this happening as time goes on from vaccine clinics, dipping into communities. Ireland is such a small place. Eventually there's going to be cross over in people knowing each other like from bigger towns. The media is going to latch on and make some dirt out from it when there's nothing to be angered about. Some people would probably prefer to see vaccines dumped if the vaccine list can't be followed exactly. I don't think it's an easy task to gather people up for adding onto the end of a vaccine clinic. My understanding is that GPS are organising a lot for their patients and making appointments for them at vaccine clinics. A clinic would need to contact a GPS surgery to move down the list of who's next in line. What if a local surgery is out at lunch or break and aren't taking calls for an hour? Or just busy taking calls with the general practice. It really isn't an easy task move down the vaccine list when it comes to using up spares at the end of a clinic and I think clinics will have to dip into local communities but it also had to be done as cleverly as possible. To give any spared to those who those who may risk covid through their jobs and I would think teachers especially primary school and crèches are the most vulnerable especially crèches. You can't social distanced from small babies and toddlers who rely on adults for help. Gardai would also be somewhat vulnerable due to their job and threats from the public. The media is going to latch onto this sh:t and try make a scandalous story out from this. There's no scanal here. Vaccines have been used in people. That's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

No one here knows that. No one here knows the health status of the principal and the hospital is not in a position to announce it to the world either. He doesn't look too far off from a qualifying age to receive vaccine and I fail to be angered and raged at the news here from the beacon. At the end of the day there's 20 more people vaccinated and vaccines have not been wasted. Hopefully there will be a ramp up in the vaccination programme as promised.

There will be more of this happening as time goes on from vaccine clinics, dipping into communities. Ireland is such a small place. Eventually there's going to be cross over in people knowing each other like from bigger towns. The media is going to latch on and make some dirt out from it when there's nothing to be angered about. Some people would probably prefer to see vaccines dumped if the vaccine list can't be followed exactly. I don't think it's an easy task to gather people up for adding onto the end of a vaccine clinic. My understanding is that GPS are organising a lot for their patients and making appointments for them at vaccine clinics. A clinic would need to contact a GPS surgery to move down the list of who's next in line. What if a local surgery is out at lunch or break and aren't taking calls for an hour? Or just busy taking calls with the general practice. It really isn't an easy task move down the vaccine list when it comes to using up spares at the end of a clinic and I think clinics will have to dip into local communities but it also had to be done as cleverly as possible. To give any spared to those who those who may risk covid through their jobs and I would think teachers especially primary school and crèches are the most vulnerable especially crèches. You can't social distanced from small babies and toddlers who rely on adults for help. Gardai would also be somewhat vulnerable due to their job and threats from the public. The media is going to latch onto this sh:t and try make a scandalous story out from this. There's no scanal here. Vaccines have been used in people. That's all that matters.

Why are the defendants of these actions ignoring the facts in their defence. You and first up were defending the actions by suggesting that "there might be medical reasons" or "we don't know the health of those vaccinated".

The board of the Beacon, not just the CEO mind but the entire board stated that these vaccinations were not in line with the sequencing guidelines and therefore, the vaccinations were not based on priority.
    “The fact that the board of the Beacon Hospital has now confirmed that the decision to offer the vaccines ‘was not in line with the sequencing guidelines in place from the HSE’ is deeply concerning,” said John Behan, chairman of the school’s board of directors.

It's not a case of 20 people are now vaccinated so no problem. The vaccine is dispensed in two doses. Those who receive a first does are usually given an
    appointment a set time apart from their first dose. When the teachers In Gerard's got vaccinations ahead of cancer patients living near the Beacon they also knocked more people further down the list as another appointment for the second dose is required within 2-4 weeks.

Also the reason why some people are higher priority is that they are at much greater risk of dying from covid. I'll repeat, the Beacon CEO personally rang teacher's in his kid's school ahead of cancer patients living near the hospital who are much more likely to die from this virus. He put people at increased risk based on nepotism.

Your post clearly disagrees with the fact that some groups are at greater risk of dying from covid than others and all that matters is "people have vaccinations and that's all that matters".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

jmayo wrote: »
    By the looks of it your mind is so open it is equivalent to a prairie.

BTW ever heard that wise old saying
    "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's a bloody duck" ?

The first order of business for the kangaroo court / internal investigation should be whether there was the potential for bribery.

Obviously the whole matter came about because the CEO's kids just so happened to attend the private school 13km away.

Now it'll be nigh on impossible to establish this due to the Omertà as Joe Duffy put it or the fact you can't mention he has children.

I don't think it's necessary to speculate on this. It either is or it isn't. This leaving cert year is the first year where people can influence their chances of their kids going to college. This could be a general problem as opposed to this specific case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What an absolute load of unadulterated bullshyte.
    Or maybe it's horseshyte, either way it is shyte.

1. For a start it is not up to the CEO of a hospital to decide who should or should not get bumped up the list to get a vaccine.

2. There is a fixed order as to what people get priority to the vaccine which is based on how severely they would be affected if they caught the virus.
    i.e. for the the ones with their heads somewhere for the last year, everyone is not equally likely to die from covid and thus the vaccine rollout is based on who is mostly likely to die or end up in hospital/ICU, not who you happen to know.

3. The vaccine would not be dumped, it wasn't a case of Gerards or nothing.
    There were patients in rooms in the hospital that could have been vaccinated.
    There were patients living nearby to the hospital that could have vaccinated.
    There are lots of GPs that could have been contacted.
    I am sure all the GP practices in South County Dublin were not all out to lunch for the late afternoon. :rolleyes:

4. Gerards is no way part of the community in which the Beacon is sited.

5. This is not a sh i t story and yes it is a scandal.
    Only clowns who normally prosper from connections think otherwise.

PS try and be less obvious than two posts into your posting history come out with such garbage.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

You're in the post office at Christmas and the queue is out the door and round the corner. All types of people in the queue with lots of older and frail looking people too, all taking their turn. But then the person behind the counter suddenly stands up and says - hey Mary, Jack, Suzie, Gordon etc for twenty names out of the queue, come on up here to the top of the queue, shure don't I know ye. Don't ye be minding any old queue. So would you be fine with that. Well Beacon/St Gerards situation far far worse, could be life and death worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Rosestick, I don't think you quite understand the concept of corruption.

There were guidelines. The Beacon did not follow the guidelines. Not only did they breach the guidelines, they breached them in a manner that benefited the person making the decision to breach the guidelines.

This breach may have resulted in putting certain individuals at risk of dying, when in fact they could - had the Beacon followed the guidelines - been immunised.

Not only is this not acceptable, it is close to criminal negligence, if not actually crossing the threshold for it.

I'm just flabbergasted that people are trying to excuse this.

JDD wrote: »
    This breach may have resulted in putting certain individuals at risk of dying, when in fact they could - had the Beacon followed the guidelines - been immunised.

Not only is this not acceptable, it is close to criminal negligence, if not actually crossing the threshold for it.

I'm just flabbergasted that people are trying to excuse this.

i am flabbergasted that you think this constitutes criminal negligence,

i hope you aren't a practicing solicitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No one here knows the health status of principal and teachers in the six other schools that are much closer to the Beacon, but were passed over in favour of the school that the Beacon CEO's kids attend.

You can choose not to be angered if you wish, but this was very poor practice by a health institution leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of anger here today.

Just sayin’

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lot of anger here today.

Just sayin’

:(

Yeh , can you blame people ? Corruption is an awful thing and makes people very angry .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yeh , can you blame people ? Corruption is an awful thing and makes people very angry .

No, I can not, effendi..... no I can not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Cyrus wrote: »

Yeah in fairness the moral compass around the beacon is spinning. Hard to tell which way is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

No one here knows the health status of principal and teachers in the six other schools that are much closer to the Beacon, but were passed over in favour of the school that the Beacon CEO's kids attend.

You can choose not to be angered if you wish, but this was very poor practice by a health institution leader.

Best sanction is VHI refuse to cover the Beacon,

You've taken offence to everything on this thread apart from the fact that a hospital CEO prioritised his own network over cancer patients.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    You've taken offence to everything on this thread apart from the fact that a hospital CEO prioritised his own network over cancer patients.

Not at all but some posts can’t be left unremarked upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

GazzaL wrote: »
    Comical. Bringing vaccines home to get the wife and kids sorted while people in much greater need are overlooked.

The medical community in Ireland are really letting themselves down.

Some of the medical community .

• Site Banned Posts: 16 RoseStick

Mrsmum wrote: »
    You're in the post office at Christmas and the queue is out the door and round the corner. All types of people in the queue with lots of older and frail looking people too, all taking their turn. But then the person behind the counter suddenly stands up and says - hey Mary, Jack, Suzie, Gordon etc for twenty names out of the queue, come on up here to the top of the queue, shure don't I know ye. Don't ye be minding any old queue. So would you be fine with that. Well Beacon/St Gerards situation far far worse, could be life and death worse.

That's not comparable. You'd have to have thousands of people in the queue ahead of you to make it comparable.

Not at all but some posts can’t be left unremarked upon.

So you are "flabbergasted" that cancer patients were marked down the priority list relative to the CO'S kid's school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

h2005 wrote: »
    Oh FFS are you for real? The doctor should be struck off. The vaccines belong to the nation not the doctor.

I find it really bizarre that people are putting their jobs/reputation on the line for this vaccine.

Even if you got the vaccine nothing is open, there's still absolutely no where to go. I could half understand it if you were suddenly given advanced levels of freedom etc but we are still in lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

I find it really bizarre that people are putting their jobs/reputation on the line for this vaccine.

Even if you got the vaccine nothing is open, there's still absolutely no where to go. I could half understand it if you were suddenly given advanced levels of freedom etc but we are still in lockdown.

Ya but at least you've a better chance at staying alive !!!

Advertisement