Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I wonder how those teachers under 60 who received this vaccine now feel about getting a second dose of Astrazenica rather than being scheduled to receive a different vaccine along with others in that age cohort.

This is not intended to come across as vindictive or gloating but it does occur to me that if the provision of vaccines was expected to generate gratitude it probably backfired once this went so public, and perhaps doubly so now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Irish Wheelchair association offered vaccines https://extra.ie/2021/04/12/featured/top-brass-charity-offered-vaccines including those working from home. CEO refuses to say if she got vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’m surprised people are surprised...... I really am......

Pat never misses a chance to game the system.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Irish Wheelchair association offered vaccines https://extra.ie/2021/04/12/featured/top-brass-charity-offered-vaccines including those working from home. CEO refuses to say if she got vaccinated.

I initially read that thinking that there was no problem. They're wheelchair users getting vaccinated so what's the problem?

Well on closer inspection the problem reveals itself:
    An IWA whistleblower spoke out against the ‘rotten, disgusting’ practice whereby the vulnerable people who the charity is supposed to serve are being skipped in the queue for the jab by staff who aren’t even on the frontline.

Wheelchair bound patients were being skipped over in favour of non-frontline staff. We have a disgusting problem with nepotism and cronyism in Ireland. Previously in the HSE I seen it in terms of people getting jobs based on who they know. Now we know that it goes as far as bypassing cancer patients and wheelchair users in favour of non-frontline staff.

We're suffering through a pandemic that has revealed a problem endemic to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I initially read that thinking that there was no problem. They're wheelchair users getting vaccinated so what's the problem?

Wheelchair bound patients were being skipped over in favour of non-frontline staff. We have a disgusting problem with nepotism and cronyism in Ireland. Previously in the HSE I seen it in terms of people getting jobs based on who they know. Now we know that it goes as far as bypassing cancer patients and wheelchair users in favour of non-frontline staff.

We're suffering through a pandemic that has revealed a problem endemic to Ireland.

I do think that these were known about a few weeks ago but were leaked in a particular order. Teachers first as they are used to being attacked by public, stir the public outrage then teachers get lambasted by public, then public exhausted and leask the rest, less outrage as public come to expect it.

No major outrage about people wfh getting vaccine over people with special needs or wheelchair users. At least teachers and SNAs are public facing in small spaces but Bob wfh since March getting vaccinated is nuts. Especially SNAs who are carrying out intimate needs of pupil such as checking bloods etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

khalessi wrote: »
    I do think that these were known about a few weeks ago but were leaked in a particular order. Teachers first as they are used to being attacked by public, stir the public outrage then teachers get lambasted by public, then public exhausted and leask the rest, less outrage as public come to expect it.

No major outrage about people wfh getting vaccine over people with special needs or wheelchair users. At least teachers and SNAs are public facing in small spaces but Bob wfh since March getting vaccinated is nuts. Especially SNAs who are carrying out intimate needs of pupil such as checking bloods etc.

they werent teachers in a posh school so the level of interest is less :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Cyrus wrote: »
    they werent teachers in a posh school so the level of interest is less :rolleyes:

Which is bizarre and just speaks loads about public bias

totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I read it as some are front line, some would be front line except that services are stopped at the moment because of the pandemic. They are healthcare workers and should be in line anyway. Once services resume they will be front line. Until they are vaccinated services can't resume.
    Public bias against the CEO of a private hospital calling up his childrens school, not even in the vicinity of the hospital to vaccinate a select few teachers ahead of vulnerable people in the hospital??? Oh ya, that's completely bizarre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

so now all the faux outrage hype has passed i presume the ceo kept his job and the school is fully booked for next year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Joe Lynch, Sunbeam’s CEO and a former Fianna Fáil candidate

Of course he was an FF candidate, although probably no need for us to know that detail, except to p"ss us off even further

Yes of course. That is completely obvious. There's considerable debate about the fairness of private schools. We know for fact that private school students are much more likely to send students to university. However, those same students are much less likely to do as well as state school students when they get to university. This is a well documented unfairness so it's unsurprising that this gets attention when they get a head start in medical treatment as well as education.

Yes of course. That is completely obvious. There's considerable debate about the fairness of private schools. We know for fact that private school students are much more likely to send students to university. However, those same students are much less likely to do as well as state school students when they get to university. This is a well documented unfairness so it's unsurprising that this gets attention when they get a head start in medical treatment as well as education.

Why are you conflating the teachers and students

Why are you conflating the teachers and students

I'm not. However, it was the student's relatively well off parent that arranged these teachers to get vaccines ahead of cancer patients. I'm stating that the fact that this is a private school is newsworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm not. However, it was the student's relatively well off parent that arranged these teachers to get vaccines ahead of cancer patients. I'm stating that the fact that this is a private school is newsworthy.

The technical term is begrudgery.

First Up wrote: »
    The technical term is begrudgery.

Actually the technical term is the psychology of unfairness. Begrudgery is the very untechnical term used by those have an emotional reaction to unfairness being questioned and can't think of an intelligent rebuttal.

Although I'm sure this doesn't apply to you. The study I cited states that private schools let in less able people than state schools do. I don't think it's begredgery to hope that the most intelligent students get in.

Actually the technical term is the psychology of unfairness. Begrudgery is the very untechnical term used by those have an emotional reaction to unfairness being questioned and can't think of an intelligent rebuttal.

Although I'm sure this doesn't apply to you. The study I cited states that private schools let in less able people than state schools do. I don't think it's begredgery to hope that the most intelligent students get in.

the study is from the uk is it not?

and i assume no matter how intelligent you are, if you cant afford a private school you wont be going there.

steddyeddy wrote:

No, begrudgery is the term for those who would prefer if the vaccines had been put in the bin rather than given to teachers at a school they can't afford.

No, begrudgery is the term for those who would prefer if the vaccines had been put in the bin rather than given to teachers at a school they can't afford.

No F. The term for that is stupidity. As there's no suggestion the options were bin vs give to teachers in your kids school. We know for a fact that there were people living closer to the school e.g cancer patients.

steddyeddy wrote:
    No F. The term for that is stupidity. As there's no suggestion the options were bin vs give to teachers in your kids school. We know for a fact that there were people living closer to the school e.g cancer patients.

I knew the cancer patients would be wheeled out pretty soon.

It boils down to this; if the only options left - however they came about - were give it to teachers or put it in the bin, which would you choose?

• Advertisement

I knew the cancer patients would be wheeled out pretty soon.

Yep because they were passed over in favour of people with connection's to the CEO's kids. We can't leave out facts that make you uncomfortable.
    It boils down to this;

In your head and only your head. The facts say otherwise.
    if the only options left - however they came about - were give it to teachers or put it in the bin, which would you choose?

If there was two choices; bin it or give it to teachers then obviously I would give it to teachers. This wasn't the situation here.

steddyeddy wrote:
    If there was two choices; bin it or give it to teachers then obviously I would give it to teachers. This wasn't the situation here.

Just to be clear - the teachers in St Gerard's?

Just to be clear - the teachers in St Gerard's?

If they were the only choices between binning and not binning then yes of course.

Would you choose to vaccinate them over cancer patients?

steddyeddy wrote:
    If they were the only choices between binning and not binning then yes of course.
    Good.
    steddyeddy wrote:
    Would you choose to vaccinate them over cancer patients?

Assuming there was that choice in the circumstances and time available, of course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Good.

Assuming there was that choice in the circumstances and time available, of course not.

Would have thought if time was an issue patients in the hospital rather than rounding up teachers in the CEOs kids school 12 Km away would have been the obvious choice?.
    Anyway, how did the CEOs kids school become the Beacons first backup choice?

Would have thought if time was an issue patients in the hospital rather than rounding up teachers in the CEOs kids school 12 Km away would have been the obvious choice?. Anyway, how did the CEOs kids school become the Beacons first backup choice?

We've been around the block a few times on this but the people who should answer that question are the HSE.
    They were supposed to arrange for people to present at the Beacon for vaccination. Did that 1,269 include cancer patients?

And when 200 of them didn't turn up, did the HSE include cancer patients among those yhey found to replace them?

And if they were giving priority to cancer patients, how come they only found 180?

We've been around the block a few times on this but the people who should answer that question are the HSE.
    They were supposed to arrange for people to present at the Beacon for vaccination. Did that 1,269 include cancer patients?

And when 200 of them didn't turn up, did the HSE include cancer patients among those yhey found to replace them?

And if they were giving priority to cancer patients, how come they only found 180?

The Beacon board itself stated that the CEO's kid's school was not in line with guidance. Have you got information they don't?

steddyeddy wrote:
    The Beacon board itself stated that the CEO's kid's school was not in line with guidance. Have you got information they don't?

Nobody disputes it was not in line with guidance. What we would all like to know is how the system created a situation where that looked the best way to use the 20 vaccines that the HSE were unable to find a use for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nobody disputes it was not in line with guidance. What we would all like to know is how the system created a situation where that looked the best way to use the 20 vaccines that the HSE were unable to find a use for.

It didn't, the CEO had rang them earlier in the principal early in the day, and told them to be ready, the junior principal then rang the senior principal to decide which teachers to ring to get it, those who got it didn't tell their colleagues. The CEO had all day to find people on the priority group, but planned for any excess to go to the school. It's corruption 101 on both the CEO, school and Beacon's part.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote:
    It didn't, the CEO had rang them earlier in the principal early in the day, and told them to be ready, the junior principal then rang the senior principal to decide which teachers to ring to get it, those who got it didn't tell their colleagues. The CEO had all day to find people on the priority group, but planned for any excess to go to the school. It's corruption 101 on both the CEO, school and Beacon's part.

I hope you have passed your evidence of all this to Eugene McCague. It should make his investigation much quicker

Advertisement