Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private school teachers prioritised for vaccinations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

eggy81 wrote: »
    Probably the most likely scenario alright.

You would be wrong there.

As stated earlier the teachers are not the issue The CEO is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

khalessi wrote: »

As stated by whom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭thomas 123

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    As stated by whom ?

Yeah let’s blame the teachers!

Rabble rabble rabble

As stated by whom ?

IN the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Any sign of the lads from golfgate going to court?

• Advertisement

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Yeah let’s blame the teachers!

Rabble rabble rabble

Actually I dont blame the teachers in this instance , I blame the CEO in fairness who made that decision .The teachers would not be privy to lists and priorities and who was contacted .,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

Considering the predictive grading element of this years leaving cert, this could easily be viewed as corruption on the school's part too.

I know I my company, any action that could even be perceived to be corrupt is disallowed, as it may bring the company into disrepute.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

kirving wrote: »
    Considering the predictive grading element of this years leaving cert, this could easily be viewed as corruption on the school's part too.

I know I my company, any action that could even be perceived to be corrupt is disallowed, as it may bring the company into disrepute.

This is the crux of it. Even if they believed it was all above board how did nobody say hang on lads this looks a off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Why are teachers in general so far down the list anyway? I would have thought they would be way higher up the list given the risks they take.

Earlier, HSE CEO Paul Reid has said he is "annoyed and frustrated" by the latest controversy, and suggested there were "other cohorts that could have been prioritised".

He told Newstalk: “I’m extremely annoyed and frustrated… I cannot condone [it]. It does frustrate the public

At least Paul Reid gets it .

• Advertisement

Why are teachers in general so far down the list anyway? I would have thought they would be way higher up the list given the risks they take.

Because of the mantra constantly repeated by NOrma and Dept that schools are safe:rolleyes: To move teachers up further would contradict this and maybe people would ask questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The CEO and the teachers both have blame to share in this, if you accept a vaccination through cronyism knowing there are still more vulnerable people out there you deserver to be named and shamed.

From counting the teachers on their website I'd say most of them got it. They must already be taking allot of heat as the twitter account that was up last week is now down.

The bigger societal concern here is if the public start loosing faith in a fair rollout as then ll bets are off and the government will lose control of an already very fedup public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Actually I dont blame the teachers in this instance , I blame the CEO in fairness who made that decision .The teachers would not be privy to lists and priorities and who was contacted .,

If I got a call to say I could get the vaccine today I’d push my mother out of the way to get there.
    This is on whoever decided to give it to them ahead of closer more deserving people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The ethical rationale for 10 is

High risk of exposure as unable to work without physical distancing.

and for 9

Disadvantaged sociodemographic groups more likely to experience a higher burden of infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

It would have been fine if the teachers hadn't been from a private school. Those pesky do-gooders who want what's best for their children and who have worked their balls off to achieve everything they have in life. How dare they do the same for their children.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Earlier, HSE CEO Paul Reid has said he is "annoyed and frustrated" by the latest controversy, and suggested there were "other cohorts that could have been prioritised".

He told Newstalk: “I’m extremely annoyed and frustrated… I cannot condone [it]. It does frustrate the public

At least Paul Reid gets it .

I'll believe Paul Reid gets it if he actually does something about it.

salmocab wrote: »
    If I got a call to say I could get the vaccine today I’d push my mother out of the way to get there.
    This is on whoever decided to give it to them ahead of closer more deserving people.

Of course I dont know what I would do but if I got a call tomorrow for a vaccine knowing I was not in the group being done I think I would question how it happened . At very least question it ?

DrumSteve wrote: »

Yes I agree this cannot be left without serious questions asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

By no means condoning what happened, it is now the headlines, but it was only 20 doses, surely the bigger picture is what matters, why is the vaccination rollout so slowly, thats what I think people should be really angry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

DrumSteve wrote: »

Don't hold your breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

thebaz wrote: »
    By no means condoning what happened, it is now the headlines, but it was only 20 doses, surely the bigger picture is what matters, why is the vaccination rollout so slowly, thats what I think people should be really angry about.

Can be people not be angry at both ? These aren't mutually exclusive incidents where it's one or the other.

Blatant cronyism and abuse by those in a position of power is such an issue precisely because things are rolling out so slowly.

The only way the public can be happy that things are thinking along ok is if they feel that it's been done fairly, obviously it's not and this is probably too of the iceberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

khalessi wrote: »

Not blaming the teachers at all. Anyone offered the vaccine would take it. I’m with the quoted post on how it most likely transpired. It of course would have had to have been initiated by the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Akabusi

My cousin works in a Sainsbury in the UK which is beside a vaccination centre. On two occasions staff from the vaccination centre have come into Sainsbury and announced over the tannoy that there were spare vaccines. Now they are at a very different phase in there roll out but I'm sure they could easily have found 20 people deserving of them very quickly.

Apologies but I don't buy the binned claim. I won't name the hospital where the masters family members were vaccinated but I can tell you there is a Garda station and Fire station less than 10 minutes away. I don't find it credible that no on duty members were available to take a shot rather no call was made.Personally I believe the health of a frontline worker is paramount importance at the moment of course my son being one may influence my opinion . We can stay home, that option doesn't exist for them.

Maybe so but that doesn't change what happened in the thread about that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Maybe its just me but im not sure how comfortable id be sitting there getting a vaccination as a relatively healthy man whos not at a huge risk from this virus knowing there are people out there who are in dire need of this vaccination and havent been even offered it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭eggy81

It would have been fine if the teachers hadn't been from a private school. Those pesky do-gooders who want what's best for their children and who have worked their balls off to achieve everything they have in life. How dare they do the same for their children.....

Who pays for the vaccines.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Not blaming the teachers at all. Anyone offered the vaccine would take it. I’m with the quoted post on how it most likely transpired. It of course would have had to have been initiated by the hospital.

You reckon teahers knew beforehand but I very much doubt it. I reckon they got a phonecall and were told 20 doses available and normally there would be a lot of staff in school after hours and they sent 20 up.

If anyone was told doses were going to waste and they could have one, most would take it.

THe CEO is the problem here. He knows there were other more eligible but chose his kids school and probably told them doses were going to waste but he could have thought of others first.

An investigation is needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

While I don't agree with it, I think theres a serious portion of outrage that wouldn't be here if they were public school teachers.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The ethical rationale for 10 is

High risk of exposure as unable to work without physical distancing.

and for 9

Disadvantaged sociodemographic groups more likely to experience a higher burden of infection.

Which is a joke. Perhaps if they didn't go around licking each other at parties and behaved, they wouldn't experience a higher burden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This seems worse than The Coombe situation to me. While I'm still quite critical of what happened at The Coombe and I think their approach was wrong, it was early in the vaccination programme and processes for dealing with left over doses weren't formalised.

At this stage, everyone giving out vaccines is meant to have standby lists and plans. The Beacon has been designated as a central vaccination centre, so they absolutely should have these. Failure to follow this is completely unacceptable and there should be repercussions. These vaccines weren't the property of The Beacon, they're the property of the State, and the hospital should be financially liable and the CEO's position in question.

Advertisement