Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing rent

Options
  • 26-03-2021 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, I have a house, with mortgage, that I have rented out to same tenants for 4 years now and have not increased the rent since they moved in. I mention 2 years ago that i wouldn't change the rent that year, then with covid I didn't increase it. Having checked around that area the rents for similar size/area are from between 800-950. They are paying 720. It is not a RPZ. Any ideas what would be appropriate? I am aware of the 90 days notice and have no issues with that. TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Hontou

There is a ban on rent increases at the moment. I think raising it to €820 when allowed is about right. This is a 14% increase. I think asking for more than an extra €100 could potentially affect your relationship with them. Then review every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭maggie magoo

Thanks for your reply. I think I can increase unless the tenant has been impacted financially by Covid but otherwise I think it's from April

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You can only put the rent up to the market rent. If the tenant disputes the new rent and you fail to convince the RTb that the proposed rent is no higher than the market rent you will get no increase. Give yourself some wriggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hontou wrote: »
    There is a ban on rent increases at the moment. I think raising it to €820 when allowed is about right. This is a 14% increase. I think asking for more than an extra €100 could potentially affect your relationship with them. Then review every 2 years.

is there a " ban on rent increases" at the moment ?

thought it was just evictions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It won’t be long before RPZ regs become nationwide, take this opportunity to increase to market level, your tenants have enjoyed sub-market rate for a couple of years, lucky them. Get examples of market rental rates for similar properties in your area and include them in rent review notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Hontou

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    is there a " ban on rent increases" at the moment ?

thought it was just evictions ?

You are right. Just evictions. My mistake.

Thanks for the replies... I guess they have been lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks for the replies... I guess they have been lucky!

It’s all relative, maybe you’ve been lucky too. With tenants for 4 years rent paid on time no relenting fees and void periods and possibly little requests from tenants.

I’m a landlord too so appreciate the whole picture.

I totally agree with you. I have been lucky with these people as have had a tenant from hell in the past. I don't want to take the piss either, that's why I am asking for advice here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Last place we rented at 600 I think. market was about 900. It went up to 700. We knew we were paying under market rates. We were happy because it meant we didn't have to worry about it increasing more than that for the next two years. But we also started looking for the landlord to perform maintenance that we would have looked after ourselves. Previously the only thing we notified them of was a leak, which they obviously would have wanted to know about.

• Advertisement

grassylawn wrote: »
    Last place we rented at 600 I think. market was about 900. It went up to 700. We knew we were paying under market rates. We were happy because it meant we didn't have to worry about it increasing more than that for the next two years. But we also started looking for the landlord to perform maintenance that we would have looked after ourselves. Previously the only thing we notified them of was a leak, which they obviously would have wanted to know about.
    I understand what you're saying, thanks. I'm sure there will be some things that need to be maintained now anyway.

Hi, you're possibly right on the date regarding increase. I sent email / letter and mentioned increasing from July, which would have covered me for beyond the 90 days. They've replied saying not a good time, etc, and on covid payment but maybe by July things will be better. I haven't got back to them

Advertisement