Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are new build timelines?

Options
  • 26-03-2021 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi!
    my wife and I were fortunate to get mortgage approval and start seeing houses recently (virtually). We'd decided to be ambivalent between new vs old build and instead focused our criteria on other attributes such as location, commute, BER, house config., etc.
    We got to know about skylark phase 2 coming up for sale in the coming week and were wondering if folks have advice on timeline of new builds?
    Context:
    Skylark only has a brochure and a CGI house right now for the houses we are interested in. no showhouse, no construction started, no boots on the ground. They are estimated the house will be ready by Dec/Jan but given we do not know how the pandemic lockdown will play out, how certain should I consider it to be? Also, I've heard that even after a new build is "ready" - it takes ~2 months for flooring etc. before final move-in. so sounds like we are locking ourselves in now while we will need to pay rent for another year.
    Question:
    Is that the usual timeline for new builds? How long does it take to build new houses? At what stage of new build are buyers usually brought in (ground break, showhouse build, roof done, interiors done, etc.) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

not sure whether bumping the post would help, but would love to hear from folks about their experience in building a new build - when did you buy, when did you get to move-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DubLad69

A friend purchased a new build in August, moved in yesterday.

We are looking to buy a new build in the coming weeks and are expecting a wait time of almost a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Whack1983

brio09 wrote: »
    Hi!
    my wife and I were fortunate to get mortgage approval and start seeing houses recently (virtually). We'd decided to be ambivalent between new vs old build and instead focused our criteria on other attributes such as location, commute, BER, house config., etc.
    We got to know about skylark phase 2 coming up for sale in the coming week and were wondering if folks have advice on timeline of new builds?
    Context:
    Skylark only has a brochure and a CGI house right now for the houses we are interested in. no showhouse, no construction started, no boots on the ground. They are estimated the house will be ready by Dec/Jan but given we do not know how the pandemic lockdown will play out, how certain should I consider it to be? Also, I've heard that even after a new build is "ready" - it takes ~2 months for flooring etc. before final move-in. so sounds like we are locking ourselves in now while we will need to pay rent for another year.
    Question:
    Is that the usual timeline for new builds? How long does it take to build new houses? At what stage of new build are buyers usually brought in (ground break, showhouse build, roof done, interiors done, etc.) ?

We bought in dun si stage of development. We were told late summer when we put deposit down and got keys at end of October. This was before lockdowns and all that. We were driving past regularly and when a house looks complete from outside it still takes a while to actualky be ready for handiver.

Just to note that flooring did not come with ours and we needed to get this done after taking possession. We were living in house two weeks after getting keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

DubLad69 wrote: »
    A friend purchased a new build in August, moved in yesterday.

We are looking to buy a new build in the coming weeks and are expecting a wait time of almost a year.
    thanks! and back in august, when you purchased it, would you mind sharing what stage was the construction in? was ground breaking done, was the showhouse done, was roof done, etc?
    thanks!

Advertisement