Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I upgrade my 7700k to 5600x

Options
  • 26-03-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

So for almost the last four years I've had a 7700k running at 4.8 without issue and still hasn't missed a beat but I was very close to puling the trigger yesterday on a 5600x from amd for €311. My system also has an rtx2080, 16gb 3200 ram and a 1440p 144hz monitor. I only game at the min and it's mainly milsim and triple A titles.

I'm getting good frames at high settings on almost everything but I've the upgrade itch, basically should I resist the itch for another while and see what amd bring to the table next year or jump to am4 now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not a bad move but I wouldn't rush out. The 5600X is a better rounded processor and going forward it's going to really separate due to the higher core/thread count, but right now at 4.8Ghz a 7700K is still a pretty good CPU.

We are in a sort of in-between period where it's hard to answer when you have a high refresh 1440p monitor. In some cases your OC'd 7700K + something like an RTX3080 would be better, in others the 5600X + RTX2080.

I always say CPU first as you can lower graphics settings if needs be, nothing you can do with CPU ceilings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

IIRC it's around 10-15% uplift at 1440p

Advertisement