Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused insurance for my son

• 26-03-2021 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I've been with the AA for car insurance since 2004. Renewed my policy with them this year and they put me on a policy with Allianz.

My son has been learning to drive on and off for the last couple of years and I had been adding him to the policy so he could get some practice in before tests etc.

Called to do the same this week. Went through the whole rigmarole with the quote only to be told Allianz don't insure under 25s. I asked if they could switch the policy to another provider but the age of the car (07) and my son (under 25) meant they couldn't do this.

I'm looking to find a provider that will be able to insure me and my son while he is learning to drive. Any suggestions?

Also the AA talked of cancellation fees. Can they be justified when there is no way I would have taken the policy if I'd known that I wouldn't be able to insure my son.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

AXA direct will do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

greendom wrote: »
    Also the AA talked of cancellation fees. Can they be justified when there is no way I would have taken the policy if I'd known that I wouldn't be able to insure my son.

I'm not sure how it works with brokers but normally, if you cancel in the first year of a policy, you get penalised. A lot of the insurers (not Allianz) publish a table of the % of your premium they will refund if you cancel in the first year, based on how many months have elapsed. Example: Aviva will only refund 50% after 2 months and nothing at all after 8 months.

In the second or subsequent year of a policy, the usual process is that you get a pro rata refund minus an 'administrative charge'. I tried to download the AA car policy document but their website sends you around in circles.

Allianz are a bit vague on the topic, this is for policies sold direct ....
    Cancelling Your Policy

You may cancel Your Policy at any time by returning to Us the Certificate of Motor Insurance and Insurance Disc. If there have been no claims during the current period of insurance We will allow a return of premium, (subject to premium transaction charge) for the un-expired Period of Insurance.

Clear as mud.

Advertisement