Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Full tank vs frequent visits to petrol station

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Truckermal wrote: »
    Bastard I only get 600km to 80 euro...

But usually it goes higher when the daysul warms up or it's a 1.5 DCI french engine.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    70 litres of diesel is 60 kgs. Or the size of a decent sized wife. That's not negligible.
    1) Very few cars have a tank size of 70 litres (even 65l is relatively rare)

2) Even if a car did have a fuel capacity of 70 litres, you're not carrying an extra 70 litres around e.g.:

Car A fills up by 70 litres
    Car B fills up by 20 litres
    Diff is 50 litres

After 20 litres of consumption;
    Car A is at 50 litres
    Car B has filled up and is at 20 litres
    Diff is 30 litres

After another 20 litres of consumption;
    Car A is at 30 litres
    Car B is at 20 litres
    Diff is 10 litres

After another 20 litres of consumption;
    Car A is at 10 litres
    Car B is at 20 litres
    Diff is -10l litres

Even at it's worst, the difference in weight is max ~42kg on a car that's likely to be 1700-1800kg, and there isn't a linear relationship between weight and fuel consumption.

Add in having to drive to petrol stations, the start-stop cycle, and your own valuable time spent doing it - it's extremely unlikely that it'll ever make financial sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Running a diesel I only put in €20 a time, simply because if I mis-fuel I can

A Fill to the brim with diesel which should get me going again.

B If I decide that I'd rather get it bled off and refuelled I only waste €20 of fuel not a €100

Now if I'm off on a long journey I'll put more in but I have no hard and fast rule of what consists a long journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Can ye not fill it up to the brim and still have frequent visits to the petrol station? The best of both worlds there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Another thing I don't understand is smokers buying cigarettes every day or a couple of times per day. When I smoked, I'd buy a few cartons on payday to avoid having to visit shops.

From my experience when you buy a few boxes of 20, you smoke more because you think "I have loads of them". Buying a box every few days makes you smoke less.

It's like payday - when you get paid you think you have loads of money so you'll spend. The closer you get to the next pay day you have less and will spend less.

When it comes to fuel I let it go just below half way then brim it. I've actually always done this so it's habit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I’ve always been filling my car to the brim and refilling after the refuel light comes on.

From my understanding especially with diesel cars (post 2004), that there is a sensor local to the filler cap, which registers its removal on the ECU. Doing a top up on fuel resets one of the parameters required for a DPF regeneration cycle. Now I know there’s many other parameters that the ECU also need to happen, but why add in a unnecessary reset. The manufacturer's intention is that you fill the car to the brim, drive it until the light comes on and fill it to the brim again, is it not?

Let’s say, if the tank takes €80 to fill and you’re only adding €20 at any one time, well then you are potentially adding two to three extra DPF regeneration cycles, if the engine does do extra DPF regeneration cycles, you're only burning more diesel because the cycle needs the engine to run at a higher temperature to burn off the soot in the DPF.

There is another possible problem with the €20 top up. If there isn’t enough fuel in the tank even after the €20 fill (how full the tank is, is I believe another parameter of the DPF regeneration cycle on the ECU) and the cycle doesn't happen, and lets say it doesn't happen for a long period of time, your adding more problems with premature blockage of the DPF or / and EGR valve failure, both of which can be expensive to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

What's the story with EVs? Is there a weight difference between fully charged and empty?

And should gloves be worn? A friend who is an engineer told me that he got a fierce smell off his finger after a full recharge.

(Very entertaining thread - I couldn't resist adding my own, eh, questions :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I’ve always been filling my car to the brim and refilling after the refuel light comes on.

From my understanding especially with diesel cars (post 2004), that there is a sensor local to the filler cap, which registers its removal on the ECU. Doing a top up on fuel resets one of the parameters required for a DPF regeneration cycle. Now I know there’s many other parameters that the ECU also need to happen, but why add in a unnecessary reset. The manufacturer's intention is that you fill the car to the brim, drive it until the light comes on and fill it to the brim again, is it not?

Let’s say, if the tank takes €80 to fill and you’re only adding €20 at any one time, well then you are potentially adding two to three extra DPF regeneration cycles, if the engine does do extra DPF regeneration cycles, you're only burning more diesel because the cycle needs the engine to run at a higher temperature to burn off the soot in the DPF.

There is another possible problem with the €20 top up. If there isn’t enough fuel in the tank even after the €20 fill (how full the tank is, is I believe another parameter of the DPF regeneration cycle on the ECU) and the cycle doesn't happen, and lets say it doesn't happen for a long period of time, your adding more problems with premature blockage of the DPF or / and EGR valve failure, both of which can be expensive to fix.

Pretty sure that only on older PSA stuff using eolys dpf fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Dirty Nails

GeneHunt wrote: »

You have bits of it right. There was a magnetic sensor in the fuel caps - nothing to do with regen. It set up the mode to inject Eolys in to the diesel tank. The amount injected was proportionate to the amount of fuel filled,hence the warning not to refuel with the ignition on. The number of refuels has no bearing on regens either. Since Adblue,that's not necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Finally, emptied the tank today, drove the fluence up until the fuel light comes up, full tank lasted roughly around 800km trips, almost 2 weeks pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Finally, emptied the tank today, drove the fluence up until the fuel light comes up, full tank lasted roughly around 800km trips, almost 2 weeks pretty good.

How many litres to fill her up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Truckermal wrote: »
    How many litres to fill her up?

Tank worth of litres. Tank is a unit of measurement on boards!

Advertisement