Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast bar or wall, other modifications

Options
  • 26-03-2021 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭

I am currently gutting a rental property. There is a wall between the kitchen and the living room but an opening (not door way). I am thinking of taking the wall down and replacing it with a breakfast bar. Personally I like have the kitchen separate but rentals are different.
    The bathroom is very awkward and at play too. I either put in a new area to create a bathroom or use the existing small bedroom as a bathroom. It is very small about 7foot×9foot but 2 beds better to rent than one.
    The rest of the place is very well proportioned and quite large. A couple with a child would have a nice place once done.
    It is the top floor of a Georgian house and the return room is the 2nd bedroom.
    Any opinions on layout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I won’t offer opinion on layout but take a step back. Has that unit been rented before within the last 2 years? If so there’s no benefit to gutting as you won’t be able to increase it to market rent. This may not be relevant but thought I’d add my twopence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I won’t offer opinion on layout but take a step back. Has that unit been rented before within the last 2 years? If so there’s no benefit to gutting as you won’t be able to increase it to market rent. This may not be relevant but thought I’d add my twopence.

As we will be making substantial changes so can rent at market rates regardless of last rent. The last occupant died there and was a hoarder. Detroyed the place but we will be at least adding a new bathroom in a location where none existed. Not my own property a relatives who didn't pay attention to tenants.

I do appreciate the warning and sorry if that came across as rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I wouldn't be arsed with a breakfast bar really. Just sit at the table to eat your bowl of cereal in a hurry.

https://www.ipav.ie/sites/default/files/rtb_guidelines_for_good_practice_on_the_substantial_change_exemption_in_rent_pressure_zones.pdf

I’m just not sure what you are undertaking would meet the new requirements. Increase in floor area, increases in BER. I did substantial refurb before the criteria were set out so got away with it. It’s lot of money spent if you don’t qualify.

https://www.ipav.ie/sites/default/files/rtb_guidelines_for_good_practice_on_the_substantial_change_exemption_in_rent_pressure_zones.pdf

I’m just not sure what you are undertaking would meet the new requirements. Increase in floor area, increases in BER. I did substantial refurb before the criteria were set out so got away with it. It’s lot of money spent if you don’t qualify.

I am completely sure that either adding space or reducing space qualifies. It is not the point and you are welcome to give your opinion when relevant. I have stated what opinion I am looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

My twopence as a potential tenant. The breakfast bar would be useful if there is no table. If there is a table that would only work if underneath you have some storage and if it is increasing the light in the combi kitchen/living area. Right now lots of people are working from home, and they will be working at least part-time from home when this is over. So if you go for the breakfast bar and no table, consider the space that might be available for a computer desk of some kind.

Whatever you do, please, please, please consider storage needs (wardrobes, cupboards, etc). People have clothes and need storage space so either built in ones or buy the items (I am sick at looking at places with no storage space). And do not put a 3 seat couch when a two seater will do it. In small spaces a 3 seater or a set are absolutely useless. And back to storage space, people also have books consider maybe leaving some space for the tenant own bookshelves or installing something yourself in the place.

Finally, if your tenant was elderly there is a great likelihood that they might not have cared for something like broadband. The majority of tenants will want a good broadband connection. If needed make arrangements for the bills to come under their name when new tenants rent the place.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I am completely sure that either adding space or reducing space qualifies. It is not the point and you are welcome to give your opinion when relevant. I have stated what opinion I am looking for.

Sure an increase in size of 25% or more by way of extension or any 3 of the following.

A ‘substantial change’ in the nature of the accommodation has been defined in law and an exemption will only apply where the below criteria is met:
    A permanent extension to the property that increases the floor areas by not less than 25% or work that has improved the BER rating and it has increased by at least 7 energy ratings or any 3 or more of the following:
    1. A permanent alteration of the internal layout of the property;
    2. Adaptation of the property to provide for access and use by a person with a disability;
    3. A permanent increase in the number of rooms in a dwelling;
    4. An improvement in the BER rating by at least three energy ratings; or
    5. The improvement by two energy ratings where the property had a BER of C3.

Sure an increase in size of 25% or more by way of extension or any 3 of the following.

A ‘substantial change’ in the nature of the accommodation has been defined in law and an exemption will only apply where the below criteria is met:
    A permanent extension to the property that increases the floor areas by not less than 25% or work that has improved the BER rating and it has increased by at least 7 energy ratings or any 3 or more of the following:
    1. A permanent alteration of the internal layout of the property;
    2. Adaptation of the property to provide for access and use by a person with a disability;
    3. A permanent increase in the number of rooms in a dwelling;
    4. An improvement in the BER rating by at least three energy ratings; or
    5. The improvement by two energy ratings where the property had a BER of C3.

You don't have to worry about it. It will qualify, no need to bring it up again. Do you have an opinion on the breakfast bar or not?

Advertisement