Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old PCI-E replacement

• 26-03-2021 3:32pm
    Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I've an old dell core2duo pc with faulty graphics

I know it's PCI express but will any card work in it or would it need to be a particular type ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Tredstone. wrote: »
    Hi I've an old dell core2duo pc with faulty graphics

I know it's PCI express but will any card work in it or would it need to be a particular type ? Thanks

Depends on the size of the PCI-E slot as to what you might be able to put in it, the CPU will heavily limit what the GPU can do, but you may find an old card on adverts or ebay that will allow older games to be played.

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Depends on the size of the PCI-E slot as to what you might be able to put in it, the CPU will heavily limit what the GPU can do, but you may find an old card on adverts or ebay that will allow older games to be played.

Thanks it's only a basic card I'm looking for

So do I need to be careful when choosing a basic card , as to the size of it ?

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

sugarman wrote: »
    What do you plan to do with the PC?

A Core2Duo is over 10 years old at this stage and not up to a whole lot performance wise for even the most basic of tasks these days.

Surely you would be better buying a newer used PC? You can get decent i3/i5 Dell Workstations on Adverts for as a little as €30-40.

Browsing , word processing , printing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Homelander

As others have said, you would literally buy a faster machine complete for €50.

However, if you want to keep yours, yes you can just replace the pci-e card, if yu are satisfied that is the issue.

You can get cards like the HD6450 for €10 second hand that will do the job just fine.

Anything more than €15-€20 would be a waste.

Advertisement