Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting USB output

Options
  • 26-03-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,

I need to send audio output to two different live online services. Does anyone know of any kit that would accept one usb input and provide 2 usb outputs? I know how usb works and realise that a standard usb hub won't work - are their any digital audio gurus here who might be amble to advise me?

I'm trying to avoid a 2 microphone, 2 preamp situation if possible.

Many thanks,
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Are the split usb outputs going to seperate devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

What's your input, what's your output?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brenoneill1

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    Are the split usb outputs going to seperate devices?

Yes, 2 laptops, each uploading the audio feed to a different live auction site.

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not possible with USB. Is there a reason you have to use the two laptops? Why not stream to both with the first one? If you have to stick with two you could listen to the stream from the first with the second and re-send it.

KeithTS wrote: »
    What's your input, what's your output?

Input is a USB from a Warfedale 802 mixer, output is usb to a laptop.

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not possible with USB. Is there a reason you have to use the two laptops? Why not stream to both with the first one? If you have to stick with two you could listen to the stream from the first with the second and re-send it.

Each laptop is uploading to a different live auction site, serving online bidders.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Each laptop is uploading to a different live auction site, serving online bidders.

Thanks,
    Brendan
    But is there a reason the same laptop can't upload to both sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The question is wrong.
    You do not need to split USB, ever. The USB is a serial bus, a way to transfer data between two digital devices. No more, no less.

But is there a reason the same laptop can't upload to both sites?

Yes. Each system allows an operator to update the current bid amount with bids taken from the auction room, telephone bids, or bids from the other online service. In addition, each is connected to an external monitor showing the bid information to the auctioneer on the podium. One laptop further feeds current lot pictures to TV screens in the saleroom. So the laptops are doing a fair bit as it is.

Given the vagaries of Internet speeds and quality, I don't want to risk introducing any delays between the audio and the current bid status, as someone might lose out on an item if they were bidding based on the sound feed.

Thanks,
    Brendan

JoyPad wrote: »
    The question is wrong.
    You do not need to split USB, ever. The USB is a serial bus, a way to transfer data between two digital devices. No more, no less.

Thanks for your comment. As per my original post, I know how usb works. I was hoping that maybe a bit of kit existed that took the original usb output, decoded the digital audio, then sent a separate signal to two usb outputs.

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Advertisement

Yes. Each system allows an operator to update the current bid amount with bids taken from the auction room, telephone bids, or bids from the other online service. In addition, each is connected to an external monitor showing the bid information to the auctioneer on the podium. One laptop further feeds current lot pictures to TV screens in the saleroom. So the laptops are doing a fair bit as it is.

Given the vagaries of Internet speeds and quality, I don't want to risk introducing any delays between the audio and the current bid status, as someone might lose out on an item if they were bidding based on the sound feed.

Thanks,
    Brendan
    I don't think having the same laptop uploading to two different sites is going to cause a massive load, you're more likely do introduce an offset between the two feeds by using two laptops processing the audio differently. People listening to the streams are likely to have different delays anyway.

If you do need to use two laptops it would be easiest to take the aux output from the amp if it has one, split it, and feed it into the microphone input of the two laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

As per my original post, I know how usb works.

You obviously don't. The data that is passed between an audio device and a computer is not simply a wrap around the digital audio. It is highly dependent on the device, and it's why you must have the exact driver that matches that device. Otherwise, we could have a single driver for all audio devices, which is obviously not the case.

Audio signal -> DAC => digital data over USB => driver -> Audio data

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks,
    Brendan

I've been next to people on the same network watching live sports and there is always a delay between our feeds, some as much as several seconds. Using 2 different feeds you will be introducing more variables.

You need to build a PC to do what you want.

I don't think having the same laptop uploading to two different sites is going to cause a massive load, you're more likely do introduce an offset between the two feeds by using two laptops processing the audio differently. People listening to the streams are likely to have different delays anyway.

If you do need to use two laptops it would be easiest to take the aux output from the amp if it has one, split it, and feed it into the microphone input of the two laptops.

Hmm...definite food for thought there, thanks. I've always used the USB input - hadn't considered the microphone input. I'll look into that.

Thanks,
    Brendan

JoyPad wrote: »
    You obviously don't. The data that is passed between an audio device and a computer is not simply a wrap around the digital audio. It is highly dependent on the device, and it's why you must have the exact driver that matches that device. Otherwise, we could have a single driver for all audio devices, which is obviously not the case.

Audio signal -> DAC => digital data over USB => driver -> Audio data

Surely this does not prevent someone from creating a device that takes the digital data, clones it, then sends it in 2 streams to USB out, then driver -> Audio data?

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Why don't you connect the USB to one of the laptops, and the main outputs to the other laptop?

Spocker wrote: »
    Why don't you connect the USB to one of the laptops, and the main outputs to the other laptop?

The USB comes from a little Warfedale mixer, as the audio also goes to speakers in the auction room. I don't have it with me at the moment, but I will check what other outputs may be available.

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

USB audio can transport multiple channels. A quick look at the manual for the 802 mixer indicates that you can output 2 independent stereo channels. So, you should be able to receive each of these at the one laptop and upload USB Channel A to site A, USB Channel B to site B.
    Latency shouldn't be an issue, even without any fancy audio drivers, it should be few ms.

A quick test to see the latency is to download a free DAW, check out the free trial for Reaper:
    https://www.reaper.fm/

Connect your mixer.
    In Reaper open up a new project with two tracks.
    Set the input to track 1 as Output1 from the mixer.
    Set the input to track 2 as Output2 from the mixer.
    Record something. Play both back, you shouldn't hear any latency between them.
    If you do, post back.
    If you don't, it shows that the 2 USB audio channels getting to your laptop are fine.

Hi All,

I need to send audio output to two different live online services. Does anyone know of any kit that would accept one usb input and provide 2 usb outputs? I know how usb works and realise that a standard usb hub won't work - are their any digital audio gurus here who might be amble to advise me?

I'm trying to avoid a 2 microphone, 2 preamp situation if possible.

Many thanks,
    Brendan

Thanks to all who responded to my post - you have provided me with several potential solutions that I will investigate.

Thanks,
    Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

This Virtual Audio Cable might help

https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/

• Advertisement

pm1977x wrote: »
    This Virtual Audio Cable might help

https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/

Thank you, I'll check it out.

Thanks,