Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Quote Check

Options
  • 26-03-2021 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Just checking a quote I received for a new patio. Its about 70 sq mtr in total with about 20 mtrs of a border wall. Quote is for silver granite blocks and a black accents. Is from back of house over concrete footpath path and lawn (no existing patio) but will be built up about 6 inches to door level. A fully level site with easy access.

Quote I received was €8,200. No idea where that sits? Does it sound ok?

Also, when I say 'silver granite blocks' I think I am talking about the Kilsaran Newgrange blocks, not 100% sure.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Robertr wrote: »
    70 sq mtr in total with about 20 mtrs of a border wall.

For that and that, sounds quite reasonable to me.

If not sure, get another quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Robertr wrote: »
    Just checking a quote I received for a new patio. Its about 70 sq mtr in total with about 20 mtrs of a border wall. Quote is for silver granite blocks and a black accents. Is from back of house over concrete footpath path and lawn (no existing patio) but will be built up about 6 inches to door level. A fully level site with easy access.

Quote I received was €8,200. No idea where that sits? Does it sound ok?

Also, when I say 'silver granite blocks' I think I am talking about the Kilsaran Newgrange blocks, not 100% sure.

That's pretty good imo.
    I've been quoted 6300 for a 48sq metre patio exactly the same as yours, and when I explained I wanted border walls the price went up to 9000!!

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

based in Kildare, getting a few more quotes tomorrow.

I decided to change to a Indian Sandstone so will be interesting to see the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭chazlan

Seems similar, if not a little better, than quotes I have recently got in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Piggy backing on this, but I have a patch of grass beside our driveway, Im looking to get concrete laid to widen it a bit so we don't step on grass when getting out of the car

its 23 foot in length and 3 foot across.

Any idea what I would pay? I only got one quote and was for 3k (quoted over the phone after sending a picture) but I thought this was mad money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

fitzparker wrote: »
    Piggy backing on this, but I have a patch of grass beside our driveway, Im looking to get concrete laid to widen it a bit so we don't step on grass when getting out of the car

its 23 foot in length and 3 foot across.

Any idea what I would pay? I only got one quote and was for 3k (quoted over the phone after sending a picture) but I thought this was mad money

Would you consider decorative stone? Might look better and would be surprised if it cost you over 100e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Would you consider decorative stone? Might look better and would be surprised if it cost you over 100e

Its also to bring the bins out and not have to walk/drag them through the grass, stones will go everywhere/be hard to bring it through.

there is also a little fence separating us from the neighbour, so stones have the potential to go into their garden aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

That's an expensive slab. Another option would be to get imprinted concrete it'd be almost half the price. You can get a boarder and pick your colours.

Pavers and ground workers are flat out, even if you shop around you'll find they're more expensive now than 12-16 months ago. People sitting at home during lockdown has the home renovation side of construction booming.

https://patternconcretesurfacinguk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/stamp-design-concrete-driveways-wirral.jpg

That's something similar to what I got in my own home last September and couldn't be happier. Price approx 55/m2 incl. VAT. Excl. Ground works as I did that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

lemonkey wrote: »
    That's an expensive slab. Another option would be to get imprinted concrete it'd be almost half the price. You can get a boarder and pick your colours.

Pavers and ground workers are flat out, even if you shop around you'll find they're more expensive now than 12-16 months ago. People sitting at home during lockdown has the home renovation side of construction booming.

https://patternconcretesurfacinguk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/stamp-design-concrete-driveways-wirral.jpg

That's something similar to what I got in my own home last September and couldn't be happier. Price approx 55/m2 incl. VAT. Excl. Ground works as I did that myself.

To be fair the Kilsaran silver granite are about 35/m2

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

To be fair the Kilsaran silver granite are about 35/m2

Makes the whole quote look expensive then unless there's a lot of ground works and soil to come out.

Last paver I got was €17/m2 and that was for paving brick which has more work in it.

Slabs material €35/m2
    Labour €20/m2 (for this example)
    Bedding surround in concrete - €8/m - €272 total
    Sand & stone €5/m2 (complete guess on quantities/depth).
    Mini digger hire and driver for a days prep - €350
    Disposal of soil - €50 in some field
    2 labourers prepping for the day - €500

Total - €5,372 incl. VAT.

Above example is assuming there's only a full day for 3 men and a mini digger prepping. Not sure what your situation is. It also it priced over a flat area, not stepped or curved design.

I'd shop around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement