Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a pre-pay network that's plan-less

Options
  • 26-03-2021 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hoping somebody can shed some light on this. I have two sim cards currently:
    • SIM1 Vodafone - work number from which I do pretty much all of my calling/texting, and use for mobile data
    • SIM2 48.ie - personal number that I want to keep by topping up by €x every 6 months, not interested in a plan or anything

Because of the work number, I know very little about this stuff nowadays, and could only see lengthy threads on specific networks.

Due to a weird issue where unidentifiable data charges were draining my account, I moved my number from eir to 48 (eir were of no help to me at the time, not surprisingly).

I'm now out of my first 48 plan and realise that I can't just use the number with normal 'credit'- I added a fiver yesterday (out of 'membership') and a text wouldn't send- their chat agent confirms that this is correct. All other similar providers seem to require a plan/membership for the number to be use-able. I just want a normal 'credit' situation. Does anybody know if the likes of Lycamobile or whoever allow a sim-only credit-only type situation?

Apologies if this has been asked/covered, I searched a bit but couldn't see anything recent covering this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

They all allow plan-less PAYG (except 48 as you discovered) but the rates for calls are high (c.40c per min).

If you need to send texts the cheapest option is a Vodafone PAYG SIM which needs 5e every 6 months. This allows sending SMS for free via webtext, doesn't work for short codes but will work for international (and ROI) SMS to standard mobiles.

Calling from a number with no credit is possible from apps like Yolla which use VOIP with a number you possess, once it's verified by SMS (call rates are about 2c per min).

Lyca SIMs deactivate after 90 days without top up so aren't suited to low or no usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Ten Pin wrote: »
    They all allow plan-less PAYG but the rates for calls are high (c.40c per min).

If you need to send texts the cheapest option is a Vodafone PAYG SIM which needs 5e every 6 months. This allows sending SMS for free via webtext, doesn't work for short codes but will work for international (and ROI) SMS to standard mobiles.

Calling from a number with no credit is possible from apps like Yolla which use VOIP with a number you possess, once it's verified by SMS (call rates are about 2c per min).

Lyca SIMs deactivate after 90 days without top up so aren't suited to low usage.

Is that definite about the Vodafone - 5 euro every 6 months ? I have an EIR sim in my alarm monitor and now you have to top up every two months - I’d definitely be interested in VF sim if that’s deffo

Is that definite about the Vodafone - 5 euro every 6 months ? I have an EIR sim in my alarm monitor and now you have to top up every two months - I’d definitely be interested in VF sim if that’s deffo

5e every 6 months for outbound usage. Another 2 months inbound.

What does alarm use....SMS or data or both? SMS is easy as it just uses credit. Data usage on Vodafone is pricey without a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Really interesting conversation as I just had a problem with EIR, I have an EIR (old meteor SIM) in my alarm system and never had a problem till 2 weeks ago .
    My SIM was de-activated, I had to contact EIR and top up to re-activate it ....
    Have EIR changed their terms and conditions with pre-pay?

castle2012 wrote: »
    Really interesting conversation as I just had a problem with EIR, I have an EIR (old meteor SIM) in my alarm system and never had a problem till 2 weeks ago .
    My SIM was de-activated, I had to contact EIR and top up to re-activate it ....
    Have EIR changed their terms and conditions with pre-pay?

Yes - I had to renew after two months - when it’s up soon I’ll be changing - 6 months - fiver - is better !!!

• Advertisement

Yes - I had to renew after two months - when it’s up soon I’ll be changing - 6 months - fiver - is better !!!

Paddy I just have to figure how to replace the SIM in the alarm box. I'm sure it's straight forward enough.

Paddy I just have to figure how to replace the SIM in the alarm box. I'm sure it's straight forward enough.

Can be - once you have the engineer code ! What model alarm is it - might be able to give you a few tips

Can be - once you have the engineer code ! What model alarm is it - might be able to give you a few tips

That would be great. Its a HKC alarm . The key code box in the hall and the box in the hot press. Where would I find the engineer code ?

That would be great. Its a HKC alarm . The key code box in the hall and the box in the hot press. Where would I find the engineer code ?

Keypad in hall ? Know a little about them if it’s a hkc quantum - as I have one - engineer code you will have to ask the installer - unless it’s default - code -45678 I think !

Keypad in hall ? Know a little about them if it’s a hkc quantum - as I have one - engineer code you will have to ask the installer - unless it’s default - code -45678 I think !

Paddy thanks for that... I'll give that a go tomorrow. Cheers

• Advertisement

Paddy thanks for that... I'll give that a go tomorrow. Cheers

O4567 - sorry that’s the default engineer code -
    A lot of installers change it - so , you have to call them out for any minor error - including change sim !

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

They all allow plan-less PAYG (except 48 as you discovered) but the rates for calls are high (c.40c per min).

Lyca SIMs deactivate after 90 days without top up so aren't suited to low or no usage.

Really? I can't see anywhere online to order a sim-only, without buying into a plan. I'll admit I didn't look into Vodafone as much as others because the work sim happens to be with them- and I figured that it is no harm to be on two different networks if at all possible. But that's not a major requirement.

Anyway, I can't see a way of ordering a sim-only online with Vodafone, do you have a link to this? Incidentally, before moving to 48, I asked in a Virgin Media store who informed me that you have to buy a plan to get a sim. They sent me to Carphone Warehouse who weren't of much help.

Don't mind paying an initial plan amount once I can be sure that I don't have to keep the play going to use the number after that. Don't care about charges- this sim is barely used.

Link...
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x0.html

...you need to enter card details but it's not charged, when you see 20e displayed it's the recurring cost, which is optional. If you step through the checkout process, it shows the upfront cost which should be zero.

There's an option to keep number or get new number. Normally I'd suggest a new number so that you can check SIM works but with Vodafone, porting afterwards isn't a self service process like it is with other networks, needs live chat to do it after SIM arrives. If you choose 'keep number' then it will send a code to the number straight away and no need to contact them afterwards.

Virgin Media don't offer PAYG plans at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Link...
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x0.html

...you need to enter card details but it's not charged, when you see 20e displayed it's the recurring cost, which is optional. If you step through the checkout process, it shows the upfront cost which should be zero.

There's an option to keep number or get new number. Normally I'd suggest a new number so that you can check SIM works but with Vodafone, porting afterwards isn't a self service process like it is with other networks, needs live chat to do it after SIM arrives. If you choose 'keep number' then it will send a code to the number straight away and no need to contact them afterwards.

Virgin Media don't offer PAYG plans at all.

Excellent- thank you very much- just ordered a new SIM card and ported number as part of the process. Thanks a million.

Advertisement