Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cursor Freezes?

Options
  • 26-03-2021 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭

When I tried Linux, my mentor told me a sequence to type in, should my cursor lock up. Saved me hitting the dreaded 'Power' button on the machine. It would power me off safely.

Is there any such escape mechanism for 10, please?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

So is it specific program/application or whole PC that freeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Stigura

Can't really tell, now ye mention it. All I see it that I'm suddenly jerking the mouse around but, the cursor stays put. I've tried Esc and hit every F. Always ends with the big button.

I tested the mouse (Wireless) batteries. Put fresh ones in anyway. No change. Hit the button. Logged back. All fine.

It's making a habit of it now.

Same time, does the keyboard still work?
    Ctrl+Alt+Del or Win + D or Win + L

Ho, Yeah!!! :D The windows / L just threw me to the log in page. But, when I logged in, this half typed post was still there.

Found out where the " DEL " key was. Clicked the " Ctrl+Alt+Del " combination and completely wrecked myself! :DThat's the Bad Boy I was looking for! Thanks!

Workaround, however, not solving your issue with hung application.

Task Manager, available from Ctrl+Alt+Del or right-click on taskbar menu, will let you to close that application without need to restart PC.
    In Task Manager>Processes tab right-click on non-responsive app and select End Task.

In RUN type perfmon /rel to review information about failing app.

• Advertisement

Hmm. Isn't that presupposing I'll be able to move the curser, to choose anything?

Damn! Come to think of it; If I can't move the mouse over that Ctrl+Alt+Del screen? I can't escape anyway! Errr .....

No worries. I've memorised the procedure to attempt now. And, I get a horrible feeling this thing won't let us down. Tonight, or soon, it'll happen again and we'll see.

What you doing when it happens? is it browser, outlook, etc?
    Pay attention when it happens again.

perfmon /rel should show you all events

It's weird! It Always happens at night. I can have been on all day. Then, I get the feeding done and settle down for the night. So, we'd be talking after 20:00.

All I'm Ever doing is sitting here, reading a forum and generally minding my own business. I'll shift the mouse, to do what ever? Boom! Here we go again! Cursor tends to be sat up towards the top of the page. But, that'#s just where I normally park it as I read.

Firefox. Everything seems to be up to date. In fact; FF Updated when I logged in today! I won't hold my breath though.

Could FF effect my mouse / cursor?

Nah, i wasn't sure you talking about mouse itself and not blinking cursor where you type.
    Sounds like mouse related(make/model?).
    If its not battery related then more like connection (Bluetooth/wireless). Could be insufficient power provided to USB adapter(if in use) - try remove any other unnecessary USB connected devices(pen drives, external storage, etc.).
    By chance you have backup running to USB external storage @20:00 ?

Also, see is "selective suspend" enabled on USB - Win10 has it ON by default i think and it might disable port after prolonged non use period.

Try different USB port.
    Could try uninstall and reinstall fresh with manufacturers provided driver - Win10 known to push-in their drivers with updates for some devices.

Well, tonight, it didn't do it. Typically! Probably knows we're onto it.

Mouse? " Anker AK - UBA 2.4G " Bought it Dec '19. Which reminds me; I only got this machine last December.

Odd. It came with a built in PITA with the DVD drive. I believe we discussed That here? Appeared resolved. Went again. I got onto the seller and they were talking to me every day. Talking me through another idea, when Boom! Started working, again! Still working yesterday.

I think, for now, it all pivots on whether C-A-D will allow me to pick, on the screen that brings up. We'll likely only know that once it does it again. And so we wait.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Houston ....?

So, earlier this morning, I sitting here, enjoying an audio book? Boom! All hell let loose! The roaring, from the speakers, was instantly doing my head in! (I mean, one moment, " Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee ". The next? " SKOOOOOORRRRR!!!! ")

I'll be perfectly honest with ye: What the cursor might, or might not have been doing was the last thing on my mind! I can't even remember what the screen was doing. But, I seem to remember I had a forum page open, behind the book. I think that stayed there.

Point is, hitting CAD had absolutely no effect on Anything. So, yeah. I had to hit the big button, again :(

How many times are we supposed to get Away with that? Anyone know :confused:

:eek: Hang about! Could this mean 'The Event' knocks out my Key Board, as well as my mouse?! Oh lawd!

Just happened Again!

And, yes; I stayed composed enough to check:

Cursor? Locked.

Was typing in search bar at the time. Tried to type more? Nope. Keyboard locked.

Tried CAD? See above. Obviously. Big button.

How long before this kills my machine? :(

"....This is ground control to major Tom....." :D

Is there any info in perfmon /rel , obviously ignore "unexpected shutdown" as it was you did it.
    Once again, wireless mouse and ???? keyboard ? Wireless?

Chance you have wired ones? To eliminate wireless issue.

And you not alone ....
    http://community.anker.com/t/wireless-vertical-mouse-freezing/58132/16

Good stuff!

Ok, as per posts 19 & 20, in that link? I've just moved the little USB peg from the back, where everything lives, to the empty front.

Keyboard's a generic, cheap USB wired. Only problem I ever really have with KBs is that, as a two fingered poker, I dig the characters off the keys. (I lie! Actually, I have a couple more KB problems. One, interestingly, appeared only with this machine / 10. Let's leave them for now though!)

Just had a finger tip search through that Perfmon / Rel? Nothing much in there But my shutting it down.

Back to one of the KB snags ~ just because I've never in my life encountered it, till this machine? Now and then, I'll type " Me ". Damn thing will come up with " Mee ".

Again, I've paid close attention. I Have To look at the keys I poke. I'm getting tired of looking up and spotting douubled up characters ~ There! Damnit! I'll leave that one, as an example!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Try getting your hands on a wired keyboard/mouse. Problem may very well be signal interference between current usb wireless dongle and kb/mouse. The wireless signal normally sits in the 2.4GHz band which is shared with wifi/dect phones/microwave....

Thing is, Degsie; I've been using this exact equipment / set up for Years now. No problemmo.

Only thing that's changed / 'Caused this to start happening' is that I've dumped my old machine ~ which I'd latterly installed Linux on. (Never any such issues with that, which had 7 since for ever before)

It's only in the few months that I've been using this new machine, with 10, that glitches have started.

It's walking like a duck ....

Advertisement