Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend drive reader?

Options
  • 26-03-2021 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've several old drives from about 20 years of computers and laptops between me and the kids that I would finally throw out.

I have a 2.5, 3.5 and 5.25 IDE and SATA cable (BIPRA) but its so old it only plugs into one of the old computer drives (nothing happens), and I think the SATA cable alone on the newer laptop drives isn't working. (Nothing happens when I plug it in using just the SATA alone although it does show power light). I think I had another cable to slot into the laptop drives but I seem to have lost it in one of the moves.

What would anyone recommend I purchase to get the drives to power up / connect to a laptop so I can take off what I can (if anything)? Especially the newer laptop drives?

Many thanks in advance.

Edit to add: I have a Macbook Pro that I must pull the hard drive out of and see if I can get anything off it. It died!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

For 2.5in drives you can use something as simple as this.
    I don't think the USB port can provide enough power for 3.5in HDDs. For those, you might need an external enclosure.

How old is your MBP? I've successfully replaced the HDD with an SSD in my late 2011 Macbook Pro, and the old drive can still work with the USB adapter I linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

JoyPad wrote: »
    For 2.5in drives you can use something as simple as this.
    I don't think the USB port can provide enough power for 3.5in HDDs. For those, you might need an external enclosure.

Thanks. Whilst decluttering before inevitable house move I found the power cable for my 2.5 external drive connector. I'll try again tomorrow.

How old is your MBP? I've successfully replaced the HDD with an SSD in my late 2011 Macbook Pro, and the old drive can still work with the USB adapter I linked above.

Its a second hand mid 2012 MBP, which replaced my original mid 2012 MBP. I even swapped out the french keyboard with my own english one, and put in new OS. It was going for a while, I lent it to my sons girlfriend and it gave up on her.

I'll try and replace the hard drive and see can I get it running again as it's a handy backup.

Appreciate the answer!:)

Advertisement