Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's a good place to watch the ships coming and going from Dublin port?

Options
  • 27-03-2021 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Odd question, I know. I'm looking for somewhere that would have other people around and that I could get to without a car. It's kind of hard to tell by just scrolling around Google maps.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Where are you based?
    Northside or Southside?

Northside - The 130 bus will leave you by the wooden bridge at bull island and you can walk to the end out to the Star of the sea statue and see from there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I often watch them from the pier in Dún Laoghaire.

I also think the view’s from 3 Rock across Dublin and the port is one of the best city views in Europe, it’s outside your range but certainly go sometime if you enjoy watching ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Get a dublinbike and cycle out to the lighthouse on the South wall.
    Might have to walk a bit, not sure if the bike is suitable for the flagstones

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TornadoAli

The Master wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    Northside or Southside?

Northside - The 130 bus will leave you by the wooden bridge at bull island and you can walk to the end out to the Star of the sea statue and see from there

Northside but I can go wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

TornadoAli wrote: »
    Northside but I can go wherever.

+1 for star of the sea. Often go there to see the big cruise ships

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Star of the Sea Northside for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

You can walk across the east link bridge, nice enough in & of itself & then walk easily to the south pier- the ships come past so close !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

retalivity wrote: »
    Get a dublinbike and cycle out to the lighthouse on the South wall.
    Might have to walk a bit, not sure if the bike is suitable for the flagstones

The South Wall is doable on a Dublin Bike. I've gone out to the lighthouse on a road bike - the surface is crap and bumpy but grand once you take it slow and easy.

That said, you don't have to go all the way to the lighthouse to see the ships come and go. Just go to where the flagstones begin and sit on the concrete barriers and view from there.

You could get the 53 bus to the Irish Ferries terminal on the northside and walk around from there to get a decent view but personally I'd prefer the South Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When lockdown ends, Howth Summit / The Baily makes you feel like you are looking down on the ships.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Killiney Hill is also good but you'll need binoculars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

South Wall for me too.

You almost feel like you can reach out and touch the bigger ships.

Star of the Sea is OK but you don't feel anywhere as near.

Advertisement