Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how can you run some of the lights in your house during a blackout

Options
  • 27-03-2021 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

ill get straight to it esb/eirgrid are doing upgrade works where i live (i want to say i have no issue or problem with this). But quite frequently we can suffer power cuts from a fraction of a second to several hours, i have a generator and am aware change over switches exist for between the meter connection but i dont want to get one installed if it could be avoided, is there any kind of device that exists where you could basically run your house lights off a plug plugged into a generator for when the power goes off at night.

Thanks.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

Technically you can use the changeover switch for whatever final circuits or appliances/lights that u want depending on where you site it

I'm not a fan of the basic generators being connected to domestic electrical equipment

Rereading your post it sounds like some form of backup lighting is what you need

Battery backed sensor lights strategically located in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 28,600 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can cope with lack of light etc during a blackout - and we get quite a few - but our issue is that the well pump goes off so we are without water too, which is harder to cope with. Still mulling over getting a generator.

looksee wrote: »
    I can cope with lack of light etc during a blackout - and we get quite a few - but our issue is that the well pump goes off so we are without water too, which is harder to cope with. Still mulling over getting a generator.

I would look at backup for the well pump and pir battery lighting

You can spend money on a decent generator to backup the house if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 16 throwaway657yf

Tredstone. wrote: »
    Technically you can use the changeover switch for whatever final circuits or appliances/lights that u want depending on where you site it

I'm not a fan of the basic generators being connected to domestic electrical equipment

same, im sure there is noting wrong with the generator hook up, but i wouldnt be over the moon with the idea, ill look into the emergency lighting and see how that goes, does anyone have any suggestions for a small home emergency light, if one even exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

I have a change-over switch in the house lighting circuit only. Lighting can be powered by a 12v-230v inverter if/when necessary. All lighting in the house is now low power LED type. Because of the waveform (an approximation to sinusoidal but with transients) from the cheap inverter the powering of motors may be a noisy problem.

May not be appropriate for you, throwaway.

Iderown wrote: »
    I have a change-over switch in the house lighting circuit only. Lighting can be powered by a 12v-230v inverter if/when necessary. All lighting in the house is now low power LED type. Because of the waveform (an approximation to sinusoidal but with transients) from the cheap inverter the powering of motors may be a noisy problem.

May not be appropriate for you, throwaway.

id only be looking at powering 5/6 9.5watt led bulbs, so ill consider everything at this point with 2 to 3 years of work ahead for upgrades on the line/route/substation

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

For lighting, one possible option might be to get a second hand Computer UPS, with a reasonable capacity, it would then run lights for quite a few hours if the supply goes off. Would need an electrician to change the wiring to the main fuse board, but not a big job to do.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

For lighting, one possible option might be to get a second hand Computer UPS, with a reasonable capacity, it would then run lights for quite a few hours if the supply goes off. Would need an electrician to change the wiring to the main fuse board, but not a big job to do.

might just go with the change over switch if i can find one thats aesthetically pleasing enough for the boss

Advertisement