Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Luxembourg - Match Thread - K.O 19.45 - RTE and Sky Sports

• 27-03-2021 2:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/ireland-v-luxembourg-what-time-what-channel-and-all-you-need-to-know-about-saturdays-world-cup-qualifier-40242651.html

Ireland's World Cup qualifying campaign takes its second step on Saturday evening with Stephen Kenny still searching for his first win as Ireland boss.

What time is kick-off?

7.45PM at the Aviva Stadium on Landowne Road.

Where can I watch it?

The game will be shown on RTE2 and Sky Sports Main Event with coverage on starting at 7PM and 7.30PM respectively.

Goalkeepers: Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Gavin Bazunu (Rochdale, on loan from Manchester City), Kieran O'Hara (Burton Albion).

Defenders: Seamus Coleman (Everton), Matt Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Shane Duffy (Celtic, on loan from Brighton), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Ryan Manning (Swansea City), Cyrus Christie (Nottingham Forest), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers).

Midfielders: Alan Browne (Preston North End), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Jayson Molumby (Preston North End, on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion), Jason Knight (Derby County), Josh Cullen (Anderlecht), Conor Coventry (West Ham United), Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McClean (Stoke City), Daryl Horgan (Wycombe Wanderers), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth).

Strikers: Callum Robinson (West Bromwich Albion), Aaron Connolly (Brighton and Hove Albion), Shane Long (AFC Bournemouth, on loan from Southampton), James Collins (Luton Town), Troy Parrott (Ipswich Town, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur).

What about Luxembourg?

Luxembourg have leaned on their government to intervene in a row over release of players for international duty and they will now have key midfielder Vincent Thill available.

The 36-times-capped player, one of three Thill brothers in the squad to face Ireland, had been denied permission by his Portuguese employer Nacional to report for the national team, with his Madeira-based club claiming that the player would have to quarantine upon his return and miss key games in their relegation battle.

There was a blow for the Duchy as Dutch-based defender Mica Pinto picked up an injury in Wednesday’s friendly defeat to Qatar and misses out. Luxembourg, ranked 98th in the world, come to Dublin on a run of three defeats and a draw in their last four games.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1375764986702749698?s=20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

This could be a real banana skin. Lux are much better than they were and could cause real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Luxembourg are much improved side in recent years but I feel we are on the verge of a win and I'm going to go with 2-0 to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

crossman47 wrote: »
    This could be a real banana skin. Lux are much better than they were and could cause real problems.

I think you are right. They are not complete eejits by any means.

Looking at the record in recent games. Luxembourg have a better record than Ireland

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/comparison/?team_ids%5B%5D=1202&team_ids%5B%5D=1425

https://afootballreport.com/predictions/head-to-head/europe/wc-qualification-europe/republic-of-ireland/luxembourg/NDMyNy00Nzk1

Luxembourg have achieved a win 2-1 away against Montenegro back in October 2020. They also got a draw against Azerbaijan in November 2020. Azerbaijan a team which Portugal struggled to break down only recently in a 1-0 win.

It is true that Luxembourg were beaten by Liechtenstein 7th October 2020. But after that game Luxembourg beat Cyprus three days later.

https://uk.soccerway.com/teams/luxembourg/luxembourg/1425/

Plus, I seem to remember in fairly recent history Ireland were humiliated by/struggled against Cyprus a few times. When the 'gaffer' was manager.

Looking at the Luxembourg team on transfermarkt

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luxemburg/startseite/verein/3580

Their top three valued lads are as follows:

Leandro Barreiro a midfielder who plays in the Bundesliga for Mainz - a regular starter in the side -

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leandro-barreiro/leistungsdaten/spieler/357233

Played 24 times for Luxembourg and scored once.

Christopher Martins Pereira a Defensive Midfielder who plays for Young Boys - Switzerland

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/christopher-martins-pereira/profil/spieler/248054

Played 38 times for Luxembourg scored once

Gerson Rodrigues Centre Forward owned by Dinamo Kiev - was loaned out to Turkish club Ankaragücü who play in the first tier.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gerson-rodrigues/profil/spieler/282734

Played 31 times for Luxembourg and has scored 5 times.

A fella from Luxembourg called Ben was on the 'Green Machine' Podcast.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy85OWE1NGQwL3BvZGNhc3QvcnNz/episode/YjE5M2QyMTAtZjMwZC00NjA0LWIyMDktYzRhN2NmMmIxZGZh?ep=14

@14.54 mins

Vincent Thill is supposed to be the next up and coming player. He is a midfielder who plays for Nacional in Portugal.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/vincent-thill/profil/spieler/316760

Maxime Chanot a defender who plays for New York City was also mentioned

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxime-chanot/profil/spieler/89030

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Luxembourg are much improved side in recent years but I feel we are on the verge of a win and I'm going to go with 2-0 to Ireland.

That is what I would guess as well, if I was told to put my money where me mouth is.

But I would take a 1-0, along with a nice solid structure and pattern of play. That is the stage Ireland are at I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

That is what I would guess as well if I was told to put my money where me mouth is.

But I would take a 1-0 along with a nice solid structure and pattern of play. That is the stage Ireland are are I think.

As Dan McDonnell said it's a must win game with no win potential. Scrape past Luxembourg and people will be like you could barely beat Luxembourg, but comfortably beat them and people will be like sure it's only Luxembourg cool your enthusiasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'd expect a two-goal winning margin

Luxembourg don't fall into the "minnow" category anymore.

I heard their youth structure and Under 21s have developed nicely.

That being said, there is no excuse for dropping points tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm going 2-0. Same team with Collins in for Connolly and hopefully Jeff Hendrick's passport burned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They are ranked 98th in the world lads.

Are they improved? Yes. But if we can't beat a team like this, serious questions need to be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

It's only two and a half years since Luxembourg held France to a draw in France. Last time they played Serbia away they lost by the same scoreline as us: 3:2. They have nothing to fear except the sight of Stephen Kenny's hairdo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Duff wrote: »
    I'm going 2-0. Same team with Collins in for Connolly and hopefully Jeff Hendrick's passport burned.

:D:D

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I'd expect a two-goal winning margin

Luxembourg don't fall into the "minnow" category anymore.

I heard their youth structure and Under 21s have developed nicely.

That being said, there is no excuse for dropping points tonight.

Obviously our U21s are better, we did recently play them and think we play them again this year, but their underage set up pisses all over ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Would imagine it’ll be 1-0 to Ireland or 1-1. We’re crap but they should be worst.

If doherty or Stevens don’t perform it’s time to find new wing backs. Would prefer to see Parrott start over Collins.

sugarman wrote: »
    ...and Georgia are currently ranked 89th and we couldn't beat them either on 2 occasions in recent years under 2 different managers with arguably better squads. (They were ranked 94th and 103rd on those occasions)

2 occasions? Only one no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2 occasions? Only one no?

September 2017 and October 2019. Both shocking performances

September 2017 and October 2019. Both shocking performances

It must have morphed into one in my mind but I can distinguish them now.

So Kenny's Kids, it's currently run by Pundit Arena so not sure how ITK those lads are, but they're reporting that Jason Knight is going to be in tonight's starting XI and that both Bazunu, and Collins should also be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

So Kenny's Kids, it's currently run by Pundit Arena so not sure how ITK those lads are, but they're reporting that Jason Knight is going to be in tonight's starting XI and that both Bazunu, and Collins should also be starting.

I’d be happy with that , who would Knight replace ? Molumby ? Probably can afford the more attacking attacking option of Knight at home to Luxembourg.

Il go for a 2 nil , Robinson & Browne. Definitely feel more positive after the game the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Would imagine it’ll be 1-0 to Ireland or 1-1. We’re crap but they should be worst.

If doherty or Stevens don’t perform it’s time to find new wing backs. Would prefer to see Parrott start over Collins.

They have both played one game as wing backs for Ireland. Considering the drop off in quality to the next ones I don't think they should be in danger though they are both starting to get on.

God forgive me, I am actually looking forward to this game.

The auld lockdown, must be getting to me at last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I just hope the positives from Wednesday are there to see again. A result is needed though. I know he won't be sacked after tonight, but you do need results or else the unwarranted criticism just gets louder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Looking forward to it too. Putting it down to a total change in play and attitude compared to what was served up to us under Trap and O'Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

sterz wrote: »
    Looking forward to it too. Putting it down to a total change in play and attitude compared to what was served up to us under Trap and O'Neill.

For me it was because the players actually showed a bit of fight about them the last day. OK Serbia were too good for Ireland. But I felt they gave it a go.

O'Neill's and Trap's team's gave it rattle on occasion, before they forgot how to play football at all after a while, and were terrified.

The players today shouldn't even be bothered about losing to Luxembourg. Because if they do so what? They live in England anyway they won't have to face many Irish fans day to day.

The expectations are still low I feel (rightly so). And I have not heard anyone make a prediction of higher than 3-0 Ireland so far.

But at least there is a curiosity now, a glimmer of hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I hope Coventry isn't exploring his options and that's why he's not on the subs ?

good to see Bazunu making his debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Happy with that team considering Connolly is out. Thought we might go 433 again but wouldn't have fancied Collins up top on his own. Hopefully a 2-0 win, would take any win right now.

Happy with that team considering Connolly is out. Thought we might go 433 again but wouldn't have fancied Collins up top on his own. Hopefully a 2-0 win, would take any win right now.

I'd even play 3-5-2 against Qatar and the friendlies in the summer. We've got Portugal and Serbia in September which would probably see 3-5-2 used again, and if so might as well keep using until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Would have liked to see Molumby start. Disappointed to see Travers dropped. He should have backed the young lad imo. Then again it plays into a convenient scapegoat narrative for the Serbia game. There's an element with all this chopping and changing of throwing a bunch of stuff at the ceiling and hoping something sticks.

Reminder of Kenny's record going into tonight's game:
    9 games played; 0 wins, 3 draws, 6 losses.

3 goals scored, 10 goals conceded.

Luxembourg are ranked 98th in the world and bookies have Ireland 8/15 to win. It's probably the easiest game in the group, and anything besides a win would be dismal. Should be a comfortable enough victory, and by at least two goals.

Don't want to hear any excuses, i.e. Bazunu getting blamed, or about injuries, or that Kenny just needs another 55 games to bed in his style. If we can't get the better of these lads, then we have regressed massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Parrot has done zero to warrant starting for ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Most important thing tonight is the win, don't care how it's done, even if its a 95th minute winner that goes in off Collins' arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Would have liked to see Molumby start. Disappointed to see Travers dropped. He should have backed the young lad imo. Then again it plays into a convenient scapegoat narrative for the Serbia game. There's an element with all this chopping and changing of throwing a bunch of stuff at the ceiling and hoping something sticks.

Luxembourg are ranked 98th in the world and bookies have Ireland 8/15 to win. It's probably the easiest game in the group, and anything besides a win would be dismal. Should be a comfortable enough victory, and by at least two goals.

Don't want to hear any excuses, i.e. Bazunu getting blamed, or about injuries, or that Kenny just needs another 55 games to bed in his style. If we can't get the better of these lads, then we have regressed massively.

We absolutely should win but I'd expect it to o be anything but comfortable. Luxembourg have improved hugely in recent years from where they were. There players play in the top league in Germany, Belgium, Portugal and Ukraine to name a few. I'd be hopeful we'd win but it'll be tough and we need to play well.

Just as well you posted this, don’t think anyone was aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Not getting the win here is unthinkable, we're bad but we're not that bad, Qatar beat these Wednesday night, should be good to get a few goals.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Most important thing tonight is the win, don't care how it's done, even if its a 95th minute winner that goes in off Collins' arse.

It's like 2007 with Stan v San Marino all over again.
    Stephen Ireland scoring deep in injury time to grab a 2-1 win

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think we all know the recent results.
    I think we all know we should win this game.

I'm looking forward to the game and the fireworks in here if we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Won't do Travers confidence any good, he is only 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Kenny will be gone after this game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Won't do Travers confidence any good, he is only 21.

Thats true but these are the hard calls a manager has to make

Regressed to what point?

Georgia are currently ranked 89th and we couldn't beat them either on 2 occasions in recent years under 2 different managers with arguably better squads. (They were then ranked 94th and 103rd on those occasions).

Didn't we struggle to beat them when qualifying for Euro 16? Pretty sure the 2-1 win with the McGeady wonder goal late in the game was 2014.

Thats true but these are the hard calls a manager has to make

Wouldn't be surprised to see O'Hara play against Qatar and all three get game time this international window. Could very well have been the plan all along.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Parrot has done zero to warrant starting for ireland.

No but really I’m looking at 2024 and preparing for that campaign. If Collins is our starting striker for 2024 qualification we’ll be up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

Kenny will be gone after this game

Saying that shows how little you know about irish football and the current state of the game/sqaud/fai finances.

athlone99 wrote: »
    Saying that shows how little you know about irish football and the current state of the game/sqaud/fai finances.

I'd wager it's not their first time saying it and won't be their last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I predict it will be a narrow win for us tonight, going to guess 2-1 victory but it would be nice to see a goal fest for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

I'd wager it's not their first time saying it and won't be their last

That or they're just really trolling for the crack at this stage......

As SK is qualifying for 2024/2026 they'll still be saying it....

No but really I’m looking at 2024 and preparing for that campaign. If Collins is our starting striker for 2024 qualification we’ll be up against it.

He could be playing LOI in 2 years for all we know. Has shown no great form so can’t start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I'll go for a 1-0 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think we’ll do the business. 2-0.

If 0-0 or a defeat, I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Wouldn't be surprised to see O'Hara play against Qatar and all three get game time this international window. Could very well have been the plan all along.

He took a gamble on Travers and it didn't pay off, maybe he performed well in training, I've seen it before where a lad can be brilliant in training but loses it with nerves when he crosses the white line, goalies need confidence more than anyone on the pitch its a funny trade between the sticks thats why a lot of em are a bit mad imv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Kenny has had awful luck but fingers crossed it changes tonight

2-0 my prediction

Cmon the boys in green

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement