Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Luxembourg - Match Thread - K.O 19.45 - RTE and Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Akesh wrote: »
    Really disappointed for Kenny but it's very clear the players aren't there for the style he wants to play. No urgency at all. Irish football is in a bad place.

It's reminding me of Scotland during the noughties. I know Kenny will shift the blame (some of it is deserved) for this but we only scrapped 1 nil wins against Gibralter last campaign so something is seriously wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

At least we have the moral victory over Serbia to fall back on.

That's a comfort. Hopefully it will allow Ireland to take a place at the Moral World Cup finals in 2022.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I've been supportive of Kenny but he will be deservedly under pressure after this. But, honestly, the FAI literally cannot afford to sack him. I'm praying that this is a good thing and fortunes improve but this is a pretty low point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Kenny playing Browne at RWB all second half is up there with the most baffling decisions an Irish manager has ever made. Keeping our best attacking player in Seamus Coleman at CB so we can play 3 at the back at home to Luxembourg in the process. Sackable offence on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Here come the sharks.

Don’t let your support of Dundalk fool you here Tayto, you have to see how truly awful this is, he’s drowned at this level. You can’t defend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Johner wrote: »
    True they are a decent side and deserve the win.

We made them look decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Stan, Trap, O'Neill, McCarthy. If any of those managers started the way Kenny has there would be national uproar with people calling for them to be sacked immediately. Why is Kenny exempt from this? He has to go. Poor Irish side or not, this isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    In fairness, there's only so much you can forgive or defend before uncomfortable questions need to be asked.

Problem is most people won't ask the proper question. Most Irish fans myself included are not members of a club and many more have never been to a club game in Ireland which leads them to shouting and screaming about Kenny when the real change needs to be a complete tearing up of the FAI and football structure in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I wasn't too bad at 5 a side back in the day, how do I sign up for this panel??

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've defended Kenny, but that's him finished (not necessarily straight away)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The worst result for Irish football in a long time even worse than the 5-2 against Cyprus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Absolutely shocking. Don’t know where they go from here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

We need a goal

No **** George

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You'd have to feel for Kenny but he's miles out of his depth here

He was out of his depth in Scotland FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

SheldonC17 wrote: »
    How Alan Browne got 88 minutes tonight is beyond me. He has played well recently and deserved to start but he wasn’t at the races at all tonight

Would help if his manager didn't play him at RWB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

SlickRic wrote: »
    Nothing positive bar Bazunu.
    Coleman has been very good too in fairness.

Brave performance by plucky Ireland against the sleeping giants of Europe, felt we had done just enough to scrape a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Irish football is in a horrifically bad place, one of the worst nights I can remember as a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

glenjamin wrote: »
    Stan, Trap, O'Neill, McCarthy. If any of those managers started the way Kenny has there would be national uproar with people calling for them to be sacked immediately. Why is Kenny exempt from this? He has to go. Poor Irish side or not, this isn't good enough.

We had better players under all those managers tbh. The lack of talent is at an all time low

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

We simply don't have the players to compete at this level. This is not Kenny's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Our protest against the World Cup in Qatar will be more effective now we've made it public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

NOW we start to play with a bit of urgency?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And where were the sharks for years when JD was bleeding the FAI dry and lead us to this position. Probably out singing ole ole at the two tournaments we qualified for since 2002 and hoisting JD on their shoulders for a few cans in Poland.

Why is it that Kenny is immune to criticism because of Delaney? I dont remember Mick/Trap/O'Neill/Kerr all getting the Delaney FreePass card?

Is Delaney making Kenny play this way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The media here will still defend him.

We'll be told this campaign should be written off altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

Not quiet. Stan had a much better squad.
    Thats true I suppose.

Feel gutted for these players. They are limited triers, with poor management, that will now be known as the guys that lost at home to Luxembourg

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

an Irish player man of match??? get ta **** RTE . embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Giving MOTM to an Irish player is just so pointless.

It's almost degrading.

Utter muck.

Bazunu prob more deserving.

Think you have to pick an Irish for these motm things because they're from a home sponsor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

mzungu wrote: »
    We simply don't have the players to compete at this level. This is not Kenny's fault.

What Lux level would you go away.... it’s stuff like this that makes you worry he’ll stay about clueless stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

The comparison with Steve Staunton's record needs to stop. Stan won 6 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Would be a bit of a robbery if we were to equalize.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭luckyboy

And where were the sharks for years when JD was bleeding the FAI dry and lead us to this position. Probably out singing ole ole at the two tournaments we qualified for since 2002 and hoisting JD on their shoulders for a few cans in Poland.

So Kenny critics are themselves criticised for not being forensic accountants? Nice deflection! This whole era is based on a conceit that we can choose a prettier method of being competitive. But we just sacrificed the results for something more superficial and intangible (an impression, moral victories). And now we all pay the price ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Soups123 wrote: »
    Don’t let your support of Dundalk fool you here Tayto, you have to see how truly awful this is, he’s drowned at this level. You can’t defend it

Tayto compared Kenny to Alex Ferguson earlier today. Koolaid has been drunk I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah, as someone who is a big LOI head, I desperately wanted Kenny to succeed. That's not to say there are not good managers in the league, but international football is a different beast. Who knows how this would work if he had these players weekly.

But this is not working out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

3 cheers for the Luxembourgers !

If that Rodriguez doesn't win player of the group there's no justice !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

so much time is wasted talking about international managers. really there isn't all that much they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This level?

We're playing Luxembourg. In Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

It's true we're ****. I'd give Kenny more time because what he's trying to do is huge.

But there is no excuse for tonight. It's unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Does this surpass the lows of the Stan era?
    Trumps it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Zico ! wrote: »
    get out ya fcukin spoofer -appalling fcuk off back to dundalk

Proof that empty vessels do indeed make the most noise.

• Advertisement

"We don't have the players to compete at this level".

Against Luxembourg.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Man I really wish Giles and Dunphy were on the panel tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

:

Bollox, when mick and Mon didn't qualify it's their fault, when Kenny doesn't qualify it's the players.. :rolleyes:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Kenny shouldn't survive the evening. This is disgraceful. He's been out of his depth since day one. The step up from LOI was too much and a ridiculous decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Stan, Trap and first time Mick had options and you could debate decisions made. This team are just crap and I can't see anything any manager could do.

Couldn't care now if he is sacked but it won't change a thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stephen Kenny's record updated:
    10 games played; 0 wins, 3 draws, 7 losses.

3 goals scored, 11 goals conceded.

Winless in ten.

Beaten at home by Luxembourg.

I'd like to think things couldn't get any lower, but I'm genuinely not sure.

We have regressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

wadacrack wrote: »
    We had better players under all those managers tbh. The lack of talent is at an all time low

Of course, we all know that. But this is Luxembourg. A half decent manager should be able to utilize this squad to tactically outplay this Luxembourg team. We have 5 Premier League players starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

wadacrack wrote: »
    How did Mick McCarthy manage to get decent results?....he was in charge not that long ago

It...is...fecking.... Luxembourg...at home..
    Look at their reaction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Some scenes in Serbia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ah lads.

Just didn’t do enough to get it over the line

Still, we go again

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement