Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Luxembourg - Match Thread - K.O 19.45 - RTE and Sky Sports

Comments

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Stan, Trap and first time Mick had options and you could debate decisions made. This team are just crap and I can't see anything any manager could do.

Couldn't care now if he is sacked but it won't change a thing

We are not playing against the Czechs or the Slovakians here. This is Switzerland. No amount of "we don't have the players" can paper over the cracks. Kenny tried to play a system with players that don't have the skills to play that system, so it's his fault.

If this was MON or Keane they would have had Long on from the start and gone route one from the first whistle and we would have likely scored a few scrappy goals and gotten 3 points. The idea of playing attractive football and losing against Switzerland does not impress me or anyone with a few brain cells to rub together. This was a must win and Kenny has bottled it. Who knew a manager at a semi professional level club couldn't get a national team to compete? Everyone who isn't a Dundalk fan anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Skid X wrote: »
    Stephen Kenny could keep losing every game for years and his supporters would still defend him unconditionally.

It's like a cult.

That's not true.

He has his supporters and detractors, like any other manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Those players no matter their standard just did not seem motivated by the manager and did not look like they were playing for him.

Stephen Kenny could keep losing every game for years and his supporters would still defend him unconditionally.

It's like a cult.

I'm less bothered about kenny himself being replaced I just really don't want us going back to 11 behind the ball and hoofing it back to them for 90 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

blueser wrote: »
    Is this worse than the 5-2 against Cyprus when Staunton was in charge?

Not sure you can compare the quality of the rep starting 11s.

Kenny, Finnan, O'Shea, Andrew O'Brien (Lee 71), Dunne, Kilbane, McGeady (Alan O'Brien 80), Ireland (Douglas 83), Morrison, Keane, Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

nullzero wrote: »
    I miss the decent teams we used to have.

I know it's over 30 years now, but the memories of Irish teams absolutely penning teams in their own half relentlessly on Wednesday afternoon's at a jam-packed Lansdowne Road with the fans baying for opposition blood.... ahh, bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We are not playing against the Czechs or the Slovakians here. This is Switzerland. No amount of "we don't have the players" can paper over the cracks. Kenny tried to play a system with players that don't have the skills to play that system, so it's his fault.

If this was MON or Keane they would have had Long on from the start and gone route one from the first whistle and we would have likely scored a few scrappy goals and gotten 3 points. The idea of playing attractive football and losing against Switzerland does not impress me or anyone with a few brain cells to rub together. This was a must win and Kenny has bottled it. Who knew a manager at a semi professional level club couldn't get a national team to compete? Everyone who isn't a Dundalk fan anyway...

The same Long who hasn't scored since 2016 and almost set a record for not scoring in the Premier League

Soups123 wrote: »
    There is nothing to consider, he should be sacked ahead of Qatar.

Optimistic to think we are going to Qatar

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Its Luxembourg not Switzerland mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The media here will still defend him.

We'll be told this campaign should be written off altogether.

Well it can sure as sh1t be written off after that result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Problems everywhere, but not a huge surprise. Manager out of depth (not totally surprising but wanted it to go well), quality of most players not good enough, national body in a heap.

I won't say its as bad as Cyprus, stan had far better players, but the totality of the situation for football in Ireland is certainly worse than ever. Highly unlikely to change over the next decade too, no matter the manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Luxembourg don’t have the players either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's like a cult.

There’s an issue in this, FAI are trying to keep a few onside and have money problems. They’ll back him for a while yet. There is nobody in the FAI now leading the show who has to make a decision here, it’ll be hiding behind a committee and lack of leadership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I kind of just don't care who's in charge at this stage, Kenny has done absolutely nothing to justify staying in the job but I wouldn't feel even a slight sense of relief if he was sacked, whoever replaces him will be just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

It's like a cult.

And the people looking for him to be sacked think that by doing so we'll suddenly find a team of 11 quality players.

Hard to know which side is worse.

Really like Sadlier

Very honest analysis

Yes, he has grown into the role, and he’s either tamed his irritating mannerisms, or I’ve gotten used to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

sterz wrote: »
    Terrible result but a dose of reality for people thinking it's just down to the management team. It's the worst squad we've seen and the gap in the rankings doesn't really reflect the actual quality of both sides.

Totally deserved and a strange performance considering what we saw on Wednesday night.

At what point though does Kenny take responsibility for these results? Winless in 10, 3 goals scored. We haven't even begun to play what you would call a strong nation yet. The performances are so flat. We may lack the quality but you would hope an international manager would have some degree of tactical process about him. He doesn't look like he knows how to get the best out of this team. The lack of quality we have is apparent, but it's compounded by a manager who doesn't seem to have an actual game plan. Trapattoni was tactically defensively astute, whilst O'Neill and McCarthy were somewhat decent man managers and motivators. What is Kenny's strength?

clsmooth wrote: »
    Not sure you can compare the quality of the rep starting 11s.

Kenny, Finnan, O'Shea, Andrew O'Brien (Lee 71), Dunne, Kilbane, McGeady (Alan O'Brien 80), Ireland (Douglas 83), Morrison, Keane, Duff.

Just posted the same. I bet both posts get ignored

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as an Irish fan reared on all the great teams of the past - Giles / Brady/ McGrath /Keane can we sink much lower than been at the level of Luxembourg - Kenny takes some of the blame , but look at the quality of players he has to pick from - the only one at a big club is Coleman , and hes not nailed starter . Sad sad times.

• Advertisement

It's like a cult.

Doubt anyone is defending him now. He's a goner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The same Long who hasn't scored since 2016 and almost set a record for not scoring in the Premier League

I swear every single time Shane Long scores a goal it's accompanied with a "his first goal in X months" stat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What is he trying to do? Seriously? I'd say he has no clue himself

You can see he's trying to change a style that's been deeply embedded in our football for decades. That's a massive job especially when you've got the worst squad in living memory. It's a very ambitious thing to try and do.

But, there's no excuse for tonight. To lose to Luxembourg at home is unacceptable.

Thing is, the campaign is dead now. I can't see another manager making a massive difference because as poor as Kenny has been so far, he's got a poor squad that I don't believe any other manager will have success with. And we're broke so who could we afford?

I'd still give him the campaign to see if he can get any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I'll go for a 1-0 here.

Well, technically I was right, I did say "a" 1-0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Islander13 wrote: »
    Appointing a manager from the League of Ireland has predictable result. We play like a LOI team.

Out the door bossman steo

Well that's not true.

I can count at least 3 LOI teams that would beat that Luxembourg side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

sterz wrote: »
    And the people looking for him to be sacked think that by doing so we'll suddenly find a team of 11 quality players.

Hard to know which side is worse.

Nah, it's definitely the side making excuses for losing at home to Luxembourg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

I support the team

Win lose or draw

Supporting the team doesn’t mean that being critical of dross is not allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Well, that was awful.

This is our level. We beat the worst team in Europe 3-0 on aggregate in the last campaign. Anyone ranked in the top 150 in the world can put it up to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's like a cult.
    It's crazy.

Whatever you say about the players not being good enough, Kenny got the tactics badly wrong today. Playing three central defenders from the start was a terrible idea. We had far too many men in our own half for most of the game, and when Kenny was forced to change things up, the players looked confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Whats the odds on the qatar game, id nearly take a handicap on it. Xavi is involved there and they are getting results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

I feel sorry for Coleman if he has to give an interview after that and pretend he has a manager who knows what he's doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Has he been sacked yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Kenny but if you think Kenny is the problem here then you need to take another look. Worst Irish squad in 40 years. The quality of Irish players has declined dramatically in the last 20 years. When you think about the squad we had in 2002 versus this rabble it's literally unbelievable how much worse Irish players have become. Magnitudes worse.

Luxembourg were ranked 148th in the world when they beat Michael O'Neill's Northern Ireland (ranked 89th) back in 2013. Was he sacked or had people calling for his head? Not to my knowledge. They gave him the time needed to develop his team and for players to come through the youth ranks. It paid off in the end.

We've got some seriously entitled fans in this country that are completely unaware of how far we've fallen.

I wish Irish fans could stop sucking up this nonsense that we should be looking down on Luxembourg or anyone else.

Can anyone show me what we have done as a footballing nation to make them believe we deserve to be a top footballing nation

The same Long who has more PL experience and international goals than Alan fcking Brown!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

We know our quality isn't great. Yes we don't have top strikers. Yes lower league players all over. No one is under any illusions.

But we havent created one chance in the second half. Hardly a shot on target. He took off Robinson for Long. Maybe one chance created in the first? Other than the subs we kept doing the same thing.

It's not like we went for it and got caught which would feel bad but at least we went for it. No, they deserved it as they went for it.

Kenny has to go. Yes he has a tough job with all the factors...players covid etc but he has proved he doesn't know how to change things when its going wrong.

He has had 10 games. Its abysmal. He should just say it hasn't worked out. He tried and just not his run. It happens.

Time for him as well as us to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Morrison J

It's like a cult.

Yep same people who were screaming for Jack Byrne to start for years and Daryl Horgan in his Dundalk days to be in the team too. Once these guys all actually move to a decent level of football they eventually realise. Taking more time with Kenny than normal though. I reckon it might finally dawn on them tonight.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Coleman if he has to give an interview after that and pretend he has a manager who knows what he's doing.

And he has to take the motm award

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Kenny has to go after tonight, fair enough our players aren't as good as previous campaigns but we're going backwards under Kenny.

He's trying to do the right things with our style of play but there's something missing and we haven't done as well as we should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Even our RTE panels are 2nd tier these days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

gmisk wrote: »
    As do I....but...you honestly support Kenny after that?

Any other manager would be gone imo

I’d be ok for kenny to stay on for this campaign then assess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

The same Long who has more PL experience and international goals than Alan fcking Brown!!!! :mad:

Long is 34, we need to give mins to the next crop of players to prepare for the next set of qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Stan had Keane, Duff, Given, O'Shea, Kevin Doyle, Dunne, Finnan, Stephen Ireland all prem regulars for decent teams. Kenny doesn't have 1 comparable player of that quality arguably.

Our entire back 5 are all PL players. It's no excuse to be losing to Luxembourg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭clsmooth

We looked toothless up front and disconnected. McGoldrick’s retirement was a huge loss. He was capable of dropping deep and linking up play. Our striking options are weak. Robinson is a good player. Connolly is decent. Both seem better out wideZ Beyond that we’re looking at unproven young lads, a journeyman in James Collins and a Shane Long whose technical abilities have unfortunately been the weakest part of his game over his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That stat is mad...that was Luxembourgs...4th win in 125 away qualifiers...says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

When crowds are allowed back in, will be interesting to see who'll pay 50 hard earned quid to watch this sh*te.

FAI are screwed even more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

What I would say is that we were never ever going to this World Cup anyway so I can’t say I have that “loss” feeling where dreams are dashed.

But our seeding is gonna be screwed for what matters- the euro draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

blueser wrote: »
    Is this worse than the 5-2 against Cyprus when Staunton was in charge?

staunton had good results too - wins over Wales and Slovakia, drawing with Czech Republic and Germany. Kenny has zero good results.

But he's 10 years older though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It's true we're ****. I'd give Kenny more time because what he's trying to do is huge.

But there is no excuse for tonight. It's unacceptable.

To be fair, Luxembourg's first team get their games in the top divisions in Portugal, Belgium, Holland & Ukraine. On paper, you could nearly argue they have as much quality in their team as we do. The only man on the pitch that played in the Champions league this season got the goal. Quality always shines through. Do all our boys even get first team games consistently at club level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Even our RTE panels are 2nd tier these days..

Someone get Dunphy into a taxi to the Aviva at once, would be box office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement