Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Luxembourg - Match Thread - K.O 19.45 - RTE and Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Ah Kenny, get a grip. Luxembourg were good for the win, but that's not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Cunningham is a joke. Making excuse after excuse for the team. It’s embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Has Kenny ever shown a 'clinical edge'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Losing a lot of respect for Kenny Cunningham here. Talking absolute bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Who's paying Cunningham to talk this **** ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Oat23 wrote: »
    Luxembourg were ranked 148th in the world when they beat Michael O'Neill's Northern Ireland (ranked 89th) back in 2013. Was he sacked or had people calling for his head? Not to my knowledge. They gave him the time needed to develop his team and for players to come through the youth ranks. It paid off in the end.

We've got some seriously entitled fans in this country that are completely unaware of how far we've fallen.

Did Michael O'Neill losing the preceding 9 games and score 3 goals in that time?

I mean, all for giving him time, but I think the signs are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Our entire back 5 are all PL players. It's no excuse to be losing to Luxembourg

Most of them are playing for clubs that could likely get relegated. The talent isn't there anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Skid X wrote: »
    Stephen Kenny could keep losing every game for years and his supporters would still defend him unconditionally.

It's like a cult.

Well, we ran Trap, MON and Mick out the door because of crap performances and terrible results. Maybe, just maybe, we don't have the caliber of players we think we do and no matter who is put in charge we're going to be rubbish anyway. Guardiola wouldn't be able to get anything out of that squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Luxembourg were ranked 148th in the world when they beat Michael O'Neill's Northern Ireland (ranked 89th) back in 2013. Was he sacked or had people calling for his head? Not to my knowledge. They gave him the time needed to develop his team and for players to come through the youth ranks. It paid off in the end.

We've got some seriously entitled fans in this country that are completely unaware of how far we've fallen.

your unaware how far you have fallen if you think this is acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You can see he's trying to change a style that's been deeply embedded in our football for decades. That's a massive job especially when you've got the worst squad in living memory. It's a very ambitious thing to try and do.

But, there's no excuse for tonight. To lose to Luxembourg at home is unacceptable.

Thing is, the campaign is dead now. I can't see another manager making a massive difference because as poor as Kenny has been so far, he's got a poor squad that I don't believe any other manager will have success with. And we're broke so who could we afford?

I'd still give him the campaign to see if he can get any better.

How do you change the style of the senior national team? You are dealing with senior pros, coached from early teens in UK, you have them for 10 days Max. That work starts at underage.

The players are crap but Kenny is completely out of his depth. Completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I’d be happy for kenny to stay on for this campaign then assess
    Do you think any other recent Ireland manager would still be in a job with the run of results Kenny has had? Yes or no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Darragh Maloney saying Luxembourg beating us is like winning the World Cup to them is cringeworthy. "Lads, it's Luxembourg" is such an ignorant POV from someone in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Kenny Cunningham talking some ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kenny Cunningham trying to hard to be Dunphy and to look like he knows what he is talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Ah Kenny it’s not fcuking Peles Brazil that landed in Dublin and beat us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was embarrassing. One of our worst results ever. Stephen Kenny should never have been given the job. Mickey Mouse manager from a Mickey Mouse league. I think Luxembourg had only ever won 5 competitive games before tonight. And they lost to Qatar during the week. They're almost 60 places below us. Another competition wrote off already.
    ExhGOBVXAAIjhiu?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Even our RTE panels are 2nd tier these days..

Kenny C trying to defend that performance - at this particular moment of time , muppet pundit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well, we ran Trap, MON and Mick out the door because of crap performances and terrible results. Maybe, just maybe, we don't have the caliber of players we think we do and no matter who is put in charge we're going to be rubbish anyway. Guardiola wouldn't be able to get anything out of that squad.

He'd beat Luxembourg at home

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Did Michael O'Neill losing the preceding 9 games and score 3 goals in that time?

If Kenny goes I won't be mad, but sacking him isn't going to change the fortunes of this squad. Luxembourg's players look technically better than ours. I would gladly take that Thill player over many of ours any day.

edgecutter wrote: »
    Long is 34, we need to give mins to the next crop of players to prepare for the next set of qualifiers.

Ah lovely and now we're out of the WC. I'm sure Browne is delighted with that....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Could you imagine Dunphy right now on the telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Zico ! wrote: »
    your unaware how far you have fallen if you think this is acceptable

I never said it was acceptable. It was a poor loss, as it was when NI lost to them. I'm not going to call for the coaches head so we can install some failed ex PL manager to play old school hoof it to the corner b*llocks again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Absolutely shambolic performance and Kenny deserves some of the flak for it but this has been coming for a while and the FAI's way of running Irish football is a major factor

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

Dogs on the street knew the state of financial investment in Irish football, but people were too happy to get their free drinks or only care about the senior national team.

Well, Deloitte never spotted anything amiss in the audits over a 23-year period, but maybe your dog was better informed? It took a very brave book by those Sunday Times journalists to finally crack that wall of secrecy and shenanigans. But your basic point that a Kenny critic (a “shark”) can be conflated with a JD supporter is just wrong. The Kenny critic is probably somebody who feels a more pragmatic manager (Mick/Trap etc) would be getting much better results, even with this relatively poor hand of players ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

sligeach wrote: »
    That was embarrassing. One of our worst results ever. Stephen Kenny should never have been given the job. Mickey Mouse manager from a Mickey Mouse league. I think Luxembourg had only ever won 5 competitive games before tonight. And they lost to Qatar during the week. They're 60 places below us. Another competition wrote off already.
    ExhGOBVXAAIjhiu?format=jpg&name=small

Hope we avoid Lebanon and Jordan in the next round! :D

Darragh Maloney saying Luxembourg beating us is like winning the World Cup to them is cringeworthy. "Lads, it's Luxembourg" is such an ignorant POV from someone in his position.

Yeah. It's Ireland they beat, not France or Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

thebaz wrote: »
    Kenny C trying to defend that performance - at this particular moment of time , muppet pundit

Wants FAI work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

siblers wrote: »
    Kenny Cunningham talking some ****

He's some dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's two LOI managers now that have been proven to be out of their depth at this level.

Kerr had a much better squad and could not hold a 2-0 lead v Israel at home and now this ****e from Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

'Be a bit more patient'

OMEGALUL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    the FAI's way of ruining Irish football is a major factor

FYP

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Cunningham blaming Stephen Kelly now :pac:

Ah lovely and now we're out of the WC. I'm sure Browne is delighted with that....

Jesus, did you really think this team could compete for a world cup place? You need to have a look at the squad and realise that this is only going to get worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Call dessie farrell and get the dubs ready for qatar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

This level?

We're playing Luxembourg. In Dublin.

A well organised Luxembourg who everybody expected we would thrash. That was never going to be the case. We are in a transition period. Things are not going our way at the moment, but I think better days are on the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is just the players way of boycotting going to Qatar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

He's certainly overplaying it but this result is f**king embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭percy007

Both Kennys should never be involved in Ireland games again..... 2 spoofers

Has any manager ever had a start like this before and turn it around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

whiskeyman wrote: »
    When crowds are allowed back in, will be interesting to see who'll pay 50 hard earned quid to watch this sh*te.

FAI are screwed even more...

Maybe people could help by going to their club instead of spending a fortune on Man United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Our entire back 5 are all PL players. It's no excuse to be losing to Luxembourg

There's no way Clark should be a PL player let alone semi regular with Newcastle. He's been dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Since we don't have anybody who can pick passes in the top third, our only option, apart from reverting to lumping it, would be to work down the flanks to get the wingbacks into a crossing position and whip balls into the box. Didn't happen once tonight. Didn't even try it. What annoys me the most is that players didn't try half as hard as they did against Serbia. You'd think after our recent performances the players wouldn't be complacent against anyone. But they were ponderous and slow.

Are the problems all down to Kenny? Probably not. Did I want him to succeed and release us from a decade of long ball crap? Of course, you can check my post history. But I don't see how he can keep his job after that one.

I couldn't accept that we were player for player worse than Georgia under O'Neill and McCarthy and had to resort to booting it long against them. Likewise, I don't accept that we have worse players than Luxembourg. I know they're not a team of milkmen anymore, but they were bringing in subs who play in the German Third Division. Their captain is a squad player in the same league where Cullen starts every game. They're not feckin Spain, are they?

I don't see where the improvement is coming from. Literally the only reason not to sack him is that it costs money and the poor start has made it exceedingly difficult to qualify anyway.

I'm sure the people who've been saying we should be lumping the ball for the entirety of the Kenny reign are delighted. Personally I'm not because we're not going to qualify for anything for about 10 years at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mzungu wrote: »
    We simply don't have the players to compete at this level. This is not Kenny's fault.

Doesn't work when you're outplayed by Luxembourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

edgecutter wrote: »
    Jesus, did you really think this team could compete for a world cup place? You need to have a look at the squad and realise that this is only going to get worse before it gets better.

Do you think this team belongs bottom of the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DrumSteve wrote: »

Michael o Neill in fairness had a horrendous start as northern ireland manager. I don't think they won for 8 or 9 games??! Or something like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He has to go. There is no recovery from a humiliation like that. Laughing stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sobering stuff tonight.

More to come over this campaign.

John Delaney laughing in his evil lair as we speak.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I think the question has to be asked, even with the pool of players. Have we seen an improvement?

Was there an improvement going to Serbia and losing 3-2, yes we played okay and the result didn't happen but could we have done that with McCarthy, Trapattoni, etc.

I'm a Kenny fan and want him to succeed but there hasn't been an improvement, yes we can pass the ball a bit better now, but at times we look utter hopeless. That's not Kenny losing possession but it's on him to pick the players and get the team motoring.

I'm not Kenny out and not sure what the alternative is but we're allowed call out it being crap when we can see it.

Coleman rightly saying it's embarassing, players don't look half arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Kenny Cunningham trying to hard to be Dunphy and to look like he knows what he is talking about.

I don't think Dunphy would be trying to defend tonight's fiasco.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

'Be a bit more patient'

OMEGALUL

The next two games are critical. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement