Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Luxembourg - Match Thread - K.O 19.45 - RTE and Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

mzungu wrote: »
    A well organised Luxembourg who everybody expected we would thrash. This was never going to be the case. We are in a transition period. Things are not going our way at the moment, but I think better days are on the horizon.

We're not in transition, we're in freefall

Not all Kenny's fault but we should be a lot better than tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

SlickRic wrote: »
    Doesn't work when you're outplayed by Luxembourg.

Luxembourg have put hard work into their team instead of getting pissed with John Delaney. Stop looking down on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Seamus Coleman looks seriously embarassed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I feel sorry for Coleman here having to try and explain this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So who should manage the team instead of Kenny?
    Which players should be retained and who should be dumped?
    What style of play should we now adapt?

Just a few questions for all the would be managers here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

kenny has no authority over that squad they dont give a fcuk -he has to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

siblers wrote: »
    Has any manager ever had a start like this before and turn it around?

In Escape To Victory, the Allies were 4-0 down at half-time.

The rest is history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

mzungu wrote: »
    A well organised Luxembourg who everybody expected we would thrash. This was never going to be the case. We are in a transition period. Things are not going our way at the moment, but I think better days are on the horizon.

Barely anyone thought we'd thrash them. We thought, with good reason to, we'd win narrowly, put them under some pressure, keep a clean sheet, and create something at the very least. We done very little to that.

Gerson looked dangerous early on. Why didn't we pay him more attention? Why didn't we close him down more and ensure he couldn't create or remain a threat to us? That is down to the manager more than anything.

gmisk wrote: »

Angry and embarrassed as he just said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Fair play Seamie honest and pulling no punches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Like a lot of people on here, I’m disappointed but even if Kenny goes the team is what it is - you could get any top level manager in and they would have the same players to work with.

So I would stick with Kenny for this campaign and then assess and yes if need be ask Stephen to move on and get someone else in. Remember though, the players will largely stay the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Emotional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Not easy for Coleman, not much he can do but admit the disaster it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Mike Bassett got to a tournament after a bad start as far as I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

Worst Irish team ive followed. Dont think even Klopp or Guardiola could win with this squad - the quality just isn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Coleman is 100 % honest -

I'd like Roy Keane back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Why don’t the FAI order their (handsomely paid) employee Robbie Keane to dust off his boots and get a kit on???? Surely he could still do a half decent job in that team....

Zico ! wrote: »

If they need some sort of special manager to get motivated for Ireland then I don't ever want to see any of them in an Irish shirt again

He should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

We've had 10 games with Kenny with Serbia being the peak of the opposition and the results aren't forthcoming. This wasn't a particularly difficult group, neither Portugal nor Serbia are necessarily anything special yet our campaign is over after two games.

Losing to Luxembourg is an absolute disgrace. Yes they've improved and they're not a San Marino or Gibraltar but they're at best an ordinary side. We looked completely blunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ireland's worst ever defeat... one other point and I'm not accusing Kenny of it at this stage. But haning a poor manager, a cheap manager, is extremely costly ...

statesaver wrote: »
    Emotional.
    Very much so always gives everything he has

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Michael O'Neill didn't win in his first nine games, including a draw at home to Luxembourg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Who will the FAI roll out for Live Line on Monday.

After the San Marino game in 2007 they had poor old Brian Robson to take the flack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Will we get an interview with Kenny? That's all I'm hanging on for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Remember though, the players will largely stay the same.

Unless 'Paddy' Bamford finally gives up waiting for the call from Southgate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Zico ! wrote: »

Exactly. Hire LOI, get LOI and the players will treat you like you're from a lower league naturally because you are. It's instinct, not choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

luckyboy wrote: »
    Well, Deloitte never spotted anything amiss in the audits over a 23-year period, but maybe your dog was better informed? It took a very brave book by those Sunday Times journalists to finally crack that wall of secrecy and shenanigans. But your basic point that a Kenny critic (a “shark”) can be conflated with a JD supporter is just wrong. The Kenny critic is probably somebody who feels a more pragmatic manager (Mick/Trap etc) would be getting much better results, even with this relatively poor hand of players ...

Yes I'm sure Deloitte never spotted anything, or turned blind eyes, and that book came out after all the **** that happened. And let's be clear there was lots of people silenced for years by legal threats from Delaney, his mouth couldn't cash any more big cheques when Mark Tighe finally caught him with that court case.

And yes my dogs were better informed than a bunch of accountants, they happened to be invovled in grassroots football. You know the football that's been underfunded and neglected for so long.

And I didn't say that a Kenny critic was a JD supporter. Tonight's performance was poor because the only time we showed real urgency was when we were losing, and I made that point at half time that I hate how we're always like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Christ the poor guy is in tears. Sad to see from such a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Coleman was one of the few outfield players who can come out if this with any dignity. He had a very good game and tried really hard to try and push the team on.

• Advertisement

6 wrote: »
    He should be
    This defeat is definitely not on him, worked his socks off, same in Serbia match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Great, honest interview from Coleman there, real leadership.

Thought he had a good game, if we had another 10 of him and the commitment he gives when he sticks on the Irish shirt, we'd be doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I think the question has to be asked, even with the pool of players. Have we seen an improvement?

Was there an improvement going to Serbia and losing 3-2, yes we played okay and the result didn't happen but could we have done that with McCarthy, Trapattoni, etc.

I'm a Kenny fan and want him to succeed but there hasn't been an improvement, yes we can pass the ball a bit better now, but at times we look utter hopeless. That's not Kenny losing possession but it's on him to pick the players and get the team motoring.

I'm not Kenny out and not sure what the alternative is but we're allowed call out it being crap when we can see it.

Coleman rightly saying it's embarassing, players don't look half arsed.

There was an improvement against Serbia and I think had we had Kelleher or Randolph in that match, or even taken the punt on Bazunu then, we'd have come away with a draw.

But then were were far worse against Luxembourg than we were against Serbia. Likewise the performance against Slovakia was far better than any of the games around it.

Even happened a bit under Mick. Best performances were draws against Denmark and Switzerland, but then we couldn't score from open play against Georgia and laboured to narrow wins against Gibraltar. (At least they were wins though).

It seems to be that a gallant draw or hard luck story against a better side is the limit of this current Ireland squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

So who should manage the team instead of Kenny?
    Which players should be retained and who should be dumped?
    What style of play should we now adapt?

Just a few questions for all the would be managers here tonight.

Are you actually happy with Kenny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

sterz wrote: »
    Michael O'Neill didn't win in his first nine games, including a draw at home to Luxembourg.
    He also drew with Portugal in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If they need some sort of special manager to get motivated for Ireland then I don't ever want to see any of them in an Irish shirt again

a good manager needs to be special -watch the egg chasing so if you dont think a manager is responsible for preparing and motovating a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Mike Bassett got to a tournament after a bad start as far as I remember

Only to get done over by the Mexicans!

Three cheers for Ramirez!

Unless 'Paddy' Bamford finally gives up waiting for the call from Southgate...
    That ship has well and truly sailed...we have begged him and it's a definite no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Luxembourg have put hard work into their team instead of getting pissed with John Delaney. Stop looking down on them

I'm not.

Our players play, as a whole, a better standard of football on a weekly basis than theirs do. That's just a fact.

Luxembourg are just far better coached. That's just it. You can't hide from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    In Escape To Victory, the Allies were 4-0 down at half-time.

The rest is history.

Was it not 4-1 - was the Allies goal not used as the carrot to persuade the boys not to go down the bath tunnel and play out the second half.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

You're an 11 year old football fan growing up in Ireland today, excluding Seamus Coleman, complete the sentence "When I grow up I want to be like..."

You probably can't, that's the state Irish football is in right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

He also drew with Portugal in fairness.

Yeah and he drew with Luxembourg. Maybe Ireland will beat Portugal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

That ship has well and truly sailed...we have begged him and it's a definite no.

I suspect it won't make a material difference without anyone to supply a ball to him even if he would consider it.

thelad95 wrote: »
    We've had 10 games with Kenny with Serbia being the peak of the opposition and the results aren't forthcoming. This wasn't a particularly difficult group, neither Portugal nor Serbia are necessarily anything special yet our campaign is over after two games.

Losing to Luxembourg is an absolute disgrace. Yes they've improved and they're not a San Marino or Gibraltar but they're at best an ordinary side. We looked completely blunt.

Forgetting everything else for a second did you just say portugal are nothing special?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kenny looks way out of his depth. If at least there looked like a plan you could bear it for an end result. But this is brutal.

• Advertisement

Worst Irish team ive followed. Dont think even Klopp or Guardiola could win with this squad - the quality just isn't there.

They couldn't get the team playing at a level to beat the mighty Luxemburg?

You're an 11 year old football fan growing up in Ireland today, excluding Seamus Coleman, complete the sentence "When I grow up I want to be like..."

You probably can't, that's the state Irish football is in right now.
    "...Declan Rice...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Great, honest interview from Coleman there, real leadership.

Thought he had a good game, if we had another 10 of him and the commitment he gives when he sticks on the Irish shirt, we'd be doing well.

Called out his team-mates for not showing for the ball. He wasn't wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Exactly. Hire LOI, get LOI and the players will treat you like you're from a lower league naturally because you are. It's instinct, not choice.

And these players who have no experience in Europa League group stages should think like this? Surely anyone can see he did very well and is why he was in contention for the roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement