Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland v Luxembourg - Match Thread - K.O 19.45 - RTE and Sky Sports

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is more embarrassing than the 0-0 to Lichtenstein under the dying days of Charlton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

gmisk wrote: »
    ...Declan Rice....

That 11 year old would want to move to England sharpish in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

sligeach wrote: »
    That was embarrassing. One of our worst results ever. Stephen Kenny should never have been given the job. Mickey Mouse manager from a Mickey Mouse league. I think Luxembourg had only ever won 5 competitive games before tonight. And they lost to Qatar during the week. They're almost 60 places below us. Another competition wrote off already.
    ExhGOBVXAAIjhiu?format=jpg&name=small

We were never going to the world cup. That result changes nothing in that regard. But there's decades of mismanagement that need to be sorted out along with new approaches to our teams.

As for your Mickey Mouse league comment, if the likes of yourself weren't so absorbed by foreign leagues perhaps this 'new low' wouldn't be happening to begin with.

Tonight was awful, but it's best to have a bit of perspective on it rather than barstooling all around you.

Get down to the Showgrounds when you get the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They killed Kenny! The bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Ireland's worst ever defeat... one other point and I'm not accusing Kenny of it at this stage. But haning a poor manager, a cheap manager, is extremely costly ...

You must be completely unaware of how we were overpaying managers before Kenny? He's on half a mil per year. This is exactly how much a NT manager of a country our size should be earning. It's on par with Steve Clarke at Scotland for example.

The days of paying managers millions per year are long gone I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You're an 11 year old football fan growing up in Ireland today, excluding Seamus Coleman, complete the sentence "When I grow up I want to be like..."

You probably can't, that's the state Irish football is in right now.

Most 11 year olds aren't playing the game.

The GAA and IRFU have sounded out all the good young athletes and have been doing so for decades. The FAI are responsible for this situation. Funny how you get nothing out when you put no effort in.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Zico ! wrote: »
    a good manager needs to be special -watch the egg chasing so if you dont think a manager is responsible for preparing and motovating a team

Preparing yes but motivated for Ireland no he shouldn't need to do much. It's all about Kenny on here tonight but those players are just not good enough and motivation isn't the problem because they ran and got stuck in but are just not a good team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The slack Kenny was being given ends after that result. Even an experimental young side should have enough about them to beat Luxembourg. This is bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You're an 11 year old football fan growing up in Ireland today, excluding Seamus Coleman, complete the sentence "When I grow up I want to be like..."

You probably can't, that's the state Irish football is in right now.

True. I was 11 in 1990. Grew up with Ireland winning nearly every game they played. You'd forget the impact of this current malaise will have on the future generation of potential Irish footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

whiterebel wrote: »
    Kenny looks way out of his depth. If at least there looked like a plan you could bear it for an end result. But this is brutal.

Kenny's plan is aimless possession for no reason 60%+ possesion yielded two shots on target. Thats not creating. Luxembourg created more chances with less possesion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

This is more embarrassing than the 0-0 to Lichtenstein under the dying days of Charlton.

at least we got a point there away from home :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

A lot of Fans, probably the majority, have being going on for yonks about dropping Coleman, playing wing backs with doherty, dropping Hendrick, Brady. Throwing in Knight, Molumby.

So you virtually got all you asked for from Kenny. So it’s on ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

What we do at senior level should be an absolute irrelevance for next few years until we get our underage set up and league in order.

We have outsourced development of young players to the UK, so any chance of changing the senior teams "style" is pure aspirational pie in the sky guff.

He's out of his depth but leave him at it. Invest in the game at home instead of another big money manager who will try and cobble together a hard to beat XI who will admirably fail to qualify, whilst lining his pockets with little interest in football in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Worst Irish team ive followed. Dont think even Klopp or Guardiola could win with this squad - the quality just isn't there.

Yeah the quality is the worst I can remember and it's why I'm laying most of the blame at the FAI for neglecting the game in this country for so long.

We're still trying to convince journeymen in the 2nd tier of English football to declare for us

We left Noel King in charge of the under 21's for too long when he was absolutely awful.

The national league was completely neglected when it has produced some of our best players in the last few years like Long, Doyle and Coleman. Even young Bazuno came through Shamrock Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

nullzero wrote: »
    Most 11 year olds aren't playing the game.

The GAA and IRFU have sounded out all the good young athletes and have been doing so for decades. The FAI are responsible for this situation. Funny how you get nothing out when you put no effort in.

Sat back drinking champagne at junkets hoping the English would keep producing players for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Peter File wrote: »
    Are you actually happy with Kenny?

I said before that this qualifying tournament should be used to let him get an established side together. The players are not there.
    I will give him this time and I won’t worry about the results. The last few games of it I’d expect to see a settled squad and improvements in our results.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Does anyone know where Luxembourg are in the rankings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Darragh Maloney has piled on the weight.

Aidric wrote: »
    The slack Kenny was being given ends after that result. Even an experimental young side should have enough about them to beat Luxembourg. This is bleak.

He'd have been booed off the pitch tonight. He's lucky there was no fans in there. Whatever little support he had is gone now.

• Advertisement

Zico ! wrote: »
    at least we got a point there away from home :pac:

Great point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Not sure what Kenny is at here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Blanco100 wrote: »
    What we do at senior level should be an absolute irrelevance for next few years until we get our underage set up and league in order.

We have outsourced development of young players to the UK, so any chance of changing the senior teams "style" is pure aspirational pie in the sky guff.

He's out of his depth but leave him at it. Invest in the game at home instead of another big money manager who will try and cobble together a hard to beat XI who will admirably fail to qualify, whilst lining his pockets with little interest in football in Ireland.

I wish I could like this post more than once, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

So who should manage the team instead of Kenny?
    Which players should be retained and who should be dumped?
    What style of play should we now adapt?

Just a few questions for all the would be managers here tonight.

Embarrassing, defend that ****e? Were 10 games in.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Preparing yes but motivated for Ireland no he shouldn't need to do much. It's all about Kenny on here tonight but those players are just not good enough and motivation isn't the problem because they ran and got stuck in but are just not a good team

yes he needs to motivate the players-unfortunately we cant sack the limited players we have ,he deserves the boot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Ah come on Kenny C. This was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Has Kenny Cunningham recieved a massive head injury or what!? "I'm not embarrassed!". Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kenny Cunningham says he's not embarrassed.

Well i'm fcuking embarrassed and so is every right thinking Irish person this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cunningham is the only one proud of that performance - Dunphy was right about this muppet pundit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Oat23 wrote: »
    You must be completely unaware of how we were overpaying managers before Kenny? He's on half a mil per year. This is exactly how much a NT manager of a country our size should be earning. It's on par with Steve Clarke at Scotland for example.

The days of paying managers millions per year are long gone I hope.

We should be paying managers what they would earn in other football jobs. No one would pay 500k to Stephen Kenny for any football Job in the world other than the FAI.

He’s very lucky to earn what he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

They'll be dancing in the streets of Dudelange and Esch tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would love to know where a replacement manager is gonna pull better players from. Kenny been dealt the worst hand in probably, what, 10? 20? 30 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Richie Sadlier giving Kenny Cunningham the "you are talking some ****e" look.

crap manager crap players ,kenny cunningham no pubs and its p1ssing rain lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Belgium outsource everything and it doesn't seem to be an issue for them. The UK has some of the best facilities in the world its a no brainer to use them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

We were never going to the world cup. That result changes nothing in that regard. But there's decades of mismanagement that need to be sorted out along with new approaches to our teams.

As for your Mickey Mouse league comment, if the likes of yourself weren't so absorbed by foreign leagues perhaps this 'new low' wouldn't be happening to begin with.

Tonight was awful, but it's best to have a bit of perspective on it rather than barstooling all around you.

Get down to the Showgrounds when you get the opportunity.

Thank you. I’m so fckin sick of the LOI bashing on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Kenny is saying we lost because....players aren't used to playing two games together....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We know it's not acceptable Stephen. What are you suggesting to do about it?

Another useless interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I’d say Kenny goes into the dressing room and just sits in the corner. Man can’t talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Stephen Kenny is very unconvincing in all his interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

bagdad-bob.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sorry Kenny is just out of his depth - Coleman so much more polished and talking sense in interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Luxembourg have outsourced their player development too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I've already said tonight, the lad is just completely out of his depth at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Anyone still backing Kenny after that must be trolling or enjoy seeing Ireland playing their worst football ever, hopefully he will be gone in the morning but we all know he's not going to be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Kenny even sounds so weak in his interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Just tell him you’re the gaffer you’re the boss and the buck stops with you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Stephen Kenny is very unconvincing in all his interviews.

I'm sure it's an uncomfortable interview but he's very poor talking there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Kenny's post match interviews are about as coherent as the recurring nightmare that you are doing the leaving cert Irish oral as a mid thirty year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

kona wrote: »
    Embarrassing, defend that ****e? Were 10 games in.

Answer the questions then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement