Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20V (4Ah) battery

• 27-03-2021 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi

In regard to a 20V (4Ah) battery - when used with a battery powered chainsaw with a 9 inch blade. Just for small odd jobs around the place. Obviously not for cutting down a tree, so my expectations are realistic ;)?

Roughly, how many minutes chainsaw cutting time would I get out of this 20V (4Ah) battery?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends on the wattage. At 1500W, about three minutes.

But I'd expect that a chainsaw running on a single 80Wh battery would be woefully underpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

Lumen wrote: »

But I'd expect that a chainsaw running on a single 80Wh battery would be woefully underpowered.

Ok. You have lost me already.

I know it will be underpowered. My expectations are not high, It’s for very light work.

I’m just wondering very roughly how many minutes it would last.

I can't tell you, because I don't know the power consumption of the chainsaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IVS4SBE/ check the reviews and filter by "hour" there are some pics of how much can be cut on one charge. Check what battery the guy was using.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Lumen wrote: »

I don’t see any wattage in the ad, but this is the yoke I’m on about:

https://www.lidl.ie/p/p9616?productId=9616&countryCode=IE

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    I don’t see any wattage in the ad, but this is the yoke I’m on about:

https://www.lidl.ie/p/p9616?productId=9616&countryCode=IE

Guess who makes the power tools for Lidl ;)

If you can get the recommended 4Amp hr batteries for that then it will perform very similar to the one I linked to.

Get two of these https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/cordless-tools/4ah-battery/p9609 and the charger if you can afford it.

Guess who makes the power tools for Lidl ;)

If you can get the recommended 4Amp hr batteries for that then it will perform very similar to the one I linked to.

Get two of these https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/cordless-tools/4ah-battery/p9609 and the charger if you can afford it.

Thanks. The 4Ah battery you linked - it only seems to be the battery you get. Does not seem to have a charger at all.

The 2Ah battery seems to come with a charger, would have presumed the 4Ah would come with a charger.

There is a separate fast charger https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/4ah-battery/c100 but the one that comes with the 2Amp battery is probably as good but will take longer to charge them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

Watch the reviews by googling the chainsaw.

• Advertisement

scotchy wrote: »

The Lidl version is also surprising good for the price and just about OK on the 2Amp batteries.

Certainly a safer tool particularly for someone who has never used a chainsaw before.

OP basically the bigger the battery the longer the tool will run but longer the batteries take to recharge. 4Amp batteries should last at least twice as long as 2Amp batteries. I also think you get more torque out of tool with 4Amp batteries as they can provide the current better but thats just a personal opinon.

There is a separate fast charger https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/4ah-battery/c100 but the one that comes with the 2Amp battery is probably as good but will take longer to charge them.

Thanks.

But I don’t see a link to a standalone charger.

The Lidl version is also surprising good for the price and just about OK on the 2Amp batteries.

Certainly a safer tool particularly for someone who has never used a chainsaw before.

OP basically the bigger the battery the longer the tool will run but longer the batteries take to recharge. 4Amp batteries should last at least twice as long as 2Amp batteries. I also think you get more torque out of tool with 4Amp batteries as they can provide the current better but thats just a personal opinon.

So looks like I can only buy the 4amp battery on its own. It does not come with a charger by default which seems weird.

Thanks.

But I don’t see a link to a standalone charger.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/cordless-tools/dual-quick-battery-charger/p9523

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are lots of chargers plus 2ah batteries in a lot of stores, they seem to have over ordered about 6 weeks ago.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There are lots of chargers plus 2ah batteries in a lot of stores, they seem to have over ordered about 6 weeks ago.

Would a 2Ah battery be a waste with this chainsaw? I.e. to get any use out of it at all, I’d need the 4Ah

There's no way I'd use a 2ah battery with a chainsaw. Generally speaking, the lower the capacity of the battery the less power it can supply, even disregarding run time.

My Makita electric lawnmower, for instance, which runs on 2x18V batteries, cuts significantly better with 5Ah batteries than 4Ah ones.

Would a 2Ah battery be a waste with this chainsaw? I.e. to get any use out of it at all, I’d need the 4Ah

imo the 4Amp will be more than twice as good. Don't forget you can use the batteries with other stuff "In the middle a Lidl" :)

You could get one 4Amp and the 2Amp with a charger.

Very min I'd go for is two 2Amp batteries - they sometimes sell them separately.

I have a good few DeWalt tools and with the more power hungry (like angle grinder) the 2Amp batteries are only just useable but the 4Amp are fine.

Ah ok. So looks like if I buy the 4Ah battery at 30 Euro, I still need to buy a charger.......and the only charger I can buy is a DOUBLE charger, which is a bit overkill

Ah ok. So looks like if I buy the 4Ah battery at 30 Euro, I still need to buy a charger.......and the only charger I can buy is a DOUBLE charger, which is a bit overkill

Thats the way they work at Lidl :mad:

Grab what you need when you get there as some of those items sell out quick leaving a pile of items with no batteries that sort of thing. Then have a really good hard look around as they have done the single battery chargers on their own.

• Advertisement

Grab what you need when you get there as some of those items sell out quick leaving a pile of items with no batteries that sort of thing. Then have a really good hard look around as they have done the single battery chargers on their own.

THANK YOU.

I actually already have the 2Ah battery AND charger (bought about a year ago for an SDS drill)

I presume this charger will work with the 4Ah battery?

Looks to be the same type interface etc.

Charger will work, yes.

Kinda Fair enough selling an item without a battery. But selling a battery without a bloody charger is a bit annoying.

THANK YOU.

I actually already have the 2Ah battery AND charger (bought about a year ago for an SDS drill)

I presume this charger will work with the 4Ah battery?

Looks to be the same type interface etc.

Because the charger is designed for 2Ah batteries then the only problem will be how long it takes to charge the 4Ah batteries. Some chargers are good for both but if the charger is specifically for 2Ah then it may take longer than double the time to charge the 4Ah but it should do it.

Yeah the standard charger is designed to take both, but as you said it takes twice as long (2 hours)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah the standard charger is designed to take both, but as you said it takes twice as long (2 hours)

I made the point because one dewalt charger I have is designed for 2 Amp hour batteries and it does them in about an hour and an 15 minutes (supposed to be an hour), but if I stick a 4 Amp in it then it takes about 4 hours but still gets there. What I think happens is the charger has the power to push the battery to 2Ah but then can only act like a trickle charger so it takes longer than double for the 4Ah batteries.

Is there such a thing as a 4ah SINGLE charger?

The capacity isn't relevant for charging compatibility.

It's a 20V Parkside charger you're after, like this

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy-tools/parkside-20v-battery-charger/p41451

Not listed on the ie site

Of course there is but there may not be one for Lidls Parkside range in Ireland although I'm fairly sure I've seen one in the UK.

Check the spec of your battery charger the one I looked up the Parkside 20V lithium ion battery charger PLG 20 A1 says it compatible with 2Ah and 4Ah batteries.

The charger with the 2Ah battery looks like tis the PLG 20 so it would be fine for both.

Edit> Just looked up an older Parkside charger possibly the same one you have already and its fine for 4Ah batteries and will just be a little slower than the new one.

• Advertisement

Of course there is but there may not be one for Lidls Parkside range in Ireland although I'm fairly sure I've seen one in the UK.

Check the spec of your battery charger the one I looked up the Parkside 20V lithium ion battery charger PLG 20 A1 says it compatible with 2Ah and 4Ah batteries.

The charger with the 2Ah battery looks like tis the PLG 20 so it would be fine for both.

Edit> Just looked up an older Parkside charger possibly the same one you have already and its fine for 4Ah batteries and will just be a little slower than the new one.

I have the PLG 20 A1 alright.

It could be more cost effective to buy the 4Ah battery with no charger for 30...........And then buy the 2Ah battery and charger for 30, as opposed to just the standalone 4Ah double charger for 25.

So you've got the charger you need so buy another 4Ah battery instead of another 2Ah battery and charger.

Got the chainsaw, working well for my needs. It comes with a small container of oil.
    Seems to be fairly specific. Attached.

Can this be bought in a standard DIY shop or is it only online really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For the chainsaw, working well for my needs. It comes with a small container of oil.

Bought 5 litres of bar and chain oil from Irish supplier for very little money couple of years back. Much more cost effective.

For the chainsaw, working well for my needs. It comes with a small container of oil.

Wow I assume thats biodegradable chain oil?

The whole point of chain oil is that it has an "anti fling" component that helps make more of it stay on the bar and not get flung off.

In reality for occasional DIY use any oil will do the job, I know foresters that used to use old car engine oil strained through a pair of tights - I know someone is already humming the lumber jacks song :D

The new big deal is oil that will degrade in the soil but that's relatively new and I don't think its a big deal at all for an amateur. Where I used to work commercially we got through around 400l of chain oil in a year in that case being environmentally friendly would have a lot more effect.

Anywhere that sells garden machinery should have cahinsaw chain oil.

btw how are the batteries working out and how well do they last?

Thanks all. Would any of ye have a link to the correct oil.

Haven’t had the time yet to properly test have only used it for a handful of small cuts so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

I've got chainsaw oil before in Woodies. not sure how it stacks up for price though.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Chainsaw chain oil and guess what it says on the bottle https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chainsaw-Chain-Guide-Bar-Litre

"Chainsaw chain oil" :)

Working link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chainsaw-Chain-Guide-Bar-Litre/dp/B00B4E8IH8/

Chainsaw chain oil and guess what it says on the bottle https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chainsaw-Chain-Guide-Bar-Litre

"Chainsaw chain oil" :)

Link not working ;)

The oil I got seems fairly specific though “ BIO CHAIN OIL OILB A1”

So was just double checking if it need to to be that specific one. But sounds like any oil will do.

I know oil for a car is very specific etc so was just double checking.

Any will do. Especially for DIY. Do keep the chain correctly adjusted and oil the bar and sprocket (the cogs as the end of the bar) before long term storage.

Advertisement