Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi on Roches Street

• 27-03-2021 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Anyone know when this is due to be open or when construction works are due to start?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It’s with an bord pleanala at the minute. It may not even go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It’s with an bord pleanala at the minute. It may not even go ahead
    I hope not. It's an unsuitable location, I think. Can you imagine the congestion caused by the extra traffic?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

chicorytip wrote: »
    I hope not. It's an unsuitable location, I think. Can you imagine the congestion caused by the extra traffic?
    ??? Its a supermarket in town. How on earth is it a bad location. We're not talking about about somewhere like Childers Road retail park here. The extra traffic will be negligible.

Anyways, to the OPs question. The case is indeed with ABP with a decision due date of 17th June. It was appealed by the owners of the Anne St car park and local business owners who don't want the competition and An Taisce, who appeal everything.

I'd be amazed if ABP don't rubber stamp the councils decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

How about poeple living in town people without cars. I think it's an excellent location and could help revitalise the surrounds as well tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Lots less traffic in town since the following locations have closed:

Debenhams
    Nevils
    All the offices that are working from home and even after Covid ends, will still have lots of people working from home
    All the pubs that won't reopen after Covid
    All the other businesses that won't survive the end of the Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme and the Pandemic Unemployment Payments

The city needs all the stores it can get. Its like a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Its a fantastic location my 76 yr old Mum will be delighted if it goes ahead and she can walk to the supermarket!

??? Its a supermarket in town. How on earth is it a bad location. We're not talking about about somewhere like Childers Road retail park here. The extra traffic will be negligible.
    Traffic volumes, are already very high on Roches Street with little on street parking available and the customer car park will be small due to the limitations of the site. It's difficult to judge what kind of customer Aldi is targeting here. City dwellers or those passing through town on their way to somewhere else who just need to stop in for something? If you happen to live in Dooradoyle or Castletroy, for example, you would no need to drive in to Aldi on Roches Street for the weekly shop. It is an odd location for what is proposed. A site much closer to the city centre might be more appropriate. The old Instore premises on Ellen Street or the vacant site adjacent to it, perhaps.

Traffic volumes, are already very high on Roches Street with little on street parking available and the customer car park will be small due to the limitations of the site. It's difficult to judge what kind of customer Aldi is targeting here. City dwellers or those passing through town on their way to somewhere else who just need to stop in for something? If you happen to live in Dooradoyle or Castletroy, for example, you would no need to drive in to Aldi on Roches Street for the weekly shop. It is an odd location for what is proposed. A site much closer to the city centre might be more appropriate. The old Instore premises on Ellen Street or the vacant site adjacent to it, perhaps.
    If you live in Castletroy you can go to one of two Aldi stores in either Rebogue or Roxboro. If you live in Dooradoyle you can also use the one in Roxboro or even the Lidl at Punches Cross. That's a very spurious argument.

Their car park, as stated in their planning application is more than large enough. There will not be any need for on street parking.

There is nothing at all odd about having a supermarket in that location. The InStore site is not an option. It's to be the city library for the next 4-5 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

Roches stores was bang in the city centre and had a busy grocery section

• Advertisement

Gary Owen wrote: »
    Roches stores was bang in the city centre and had a busy grocery section

It also had a car park on site and home delivery

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It also had a car park on site and home delivery

According to this, it will have 75 parking spaces. I don't think the old Roches had anywhere near that number?

Aldi also has home delivery, and click and collect, so looks like we're onto a winner!

MarkR wrote: »
    According to this, it will have 75 parking spaces. I don't think the old Roches had anywhere near that number?

Aldi also has home delivery, and click and collect, so looks like we're onto a winner!

God, I miss Roches Stores supermarket :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

God, I miss Roches Stores supermarket :pac:

With the brown paper shopping bags. I thought we were the height of fancy when we would shop there!

sioda wrote: »
    How about poeple living in town people without cars. I think it's an excellent location and could help revitalise the surrounds as well tbh
    Well, we already have Dunnes, Tesco and Dealz (which, admittedly, is more of a convenience store) located within yards of one another. Roches Street and it's immediate hinterland is not a residential district like the Quay's, Watergate or the Dock Road. The type of customer Aldi is targeting here is one driving from work to some suburban area, not local dwellers because there are none in that part of town. This means extra traffic entering and exiting the car park on to Roches Street which is already a congested thoroughfare particularly at evening rush hour. I am envisaging a post COVID scenario here of course.

Well, we already have Dunnes, Tesco and Dealz (which, admittedly, is more of a convenience store) located within yards of one another. Roches Street and it's immediate hinterland is not a residential district like the Quay's, Watergate or the Dock Road. The type of customer Aldi is targeting here is one driving from work to some suburban area, not local dwellers because there are none in that part of town. This means extra traffic entering and exiting the car park on to Roches Street which is already a congested thoroughfare particularly at evening rush hour. I am envisaging a post COVID scenario here of course.
    No houses nearby? I suggest you look at a map and see what's 5 minutes away at the other end of Parnell St. Watergate is only few minutes walk away as well.
    Then there's the housing estate on Sexton St and Garryowen.
    There's literally hundreds of homes within easy walking distance of Roches Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Careys road, Mallow street, lower Hyde road, Edward street etc etc???
    And a lot of older people who simply dont have access to a car!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd hope that the more services available in the city centre, more people will live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

In lived in that area for years there are plenty of people to use this without a car. I'll happily see more traffic if it brings life back into the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

sioda wrote: »
    In lived in that area for years there are plenty of people to use this without a car. I'll happily see more traffic if it brings life back into the city.

And town is tiny anyway the idea that it will only serve one part of town is ludicrous. If you lived in Steamboat Quay but preferred Aldi to Dunnes you would definitely take the extra 5 minute walk to Roches St.

• Advertisement
Advertisement