Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for ideas!!

Options
  • 27-03-2021 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I have an area of my garden that is a bit of an eyesore and would like suggestions as how I can improve it

Firstly I live on a hill so you can appreciate with heavy rain etc not always dry!

The garden itself is on a slope but was tiered a number of years ago as you will see from attached photos, there was a ditch between ourselves and neighbours behind us but this started to crumble so we had a retaining wall build

I must add about the retaining wall that it is what you see, there is no support structure behind this, just the earth rubble etc - It is standing now over ten years but has bulged a wee bit!!

So the area I am hoping to improve is the area on top of the retaining wall and the fencing my neighbour has erected between us

What ideas would people have - I could just remove the old sleepers, stones etc and place easy maintenance plants, I can't install weed suppressant fabric as the slope is too steep

I need access to be able to treat the neighbours fence as well

Also the sleeper steps in the photos probably should be replaced!

Love to hear ideas suggestions etc, any advice good or bad is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭macraignil

Edit:
    Seeing as my suggestion is just being ignored I think I'll just delete it.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would suggest gabions would sort that out. Not cheap, but nor would be a retaining wall. You would have to get it done professionally, I have seen absolutely beautiful walls installed with the outer layer of stone sorted for appearance - you will never have to build it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

looksee wrote: »
    I would suggest gabions would sort that out. Not cheap, but nor would be a retaining wall. You would have to get it done professionally, I have seen absolutely beautiful walls installed with the outer layer of stone sorted for appearance - you will never have to build it again.

Gonna be frank I was saying to myself as I read your reply what is a gabion!! And now I know after seeing them for all these years LOL

I have been googling them for ideas and some nice ideas with gabions out there

One question or concern would be the weight of this as I mentioned the wall upon which the potential gabions will sit does not have a retaining wall behind it

You would not put them on the wall, you put them in place to hold back the bank in place of the retaining wall. I misread your post, I thought you were looking for an alternative to the wall.

You would not put them on the wall, you put them in place to hold back the bank in place of the retaining wall. I misread your post, I thought you were looking for an alternative to the wall.

I have seen some good options/ ideas with gabions even gabions used as raised planters which is a good idea

In my situation I am trying to find options to improve the narrow strip between the top of my wall and my neighbour fencing - something that can hide the slope n rubble at the base of neighbours fence panels - maybe some narrow width gabions is an option!??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The first thing that jumped out at me is the bulge - not just in the retaining wall, but also in the fence at the same location. Do you know if this is because the ground at that point on your side is sinking, or are the conditions on the neighbour's side that are pushing it towards you?

And those sleeper steps - is their only purpose to give access to the top?

In any case, like the other posters, I thought you were thinking of a more comprehensive makeover. If it's literally just the strip between the top of the wall and the fence ... that's essentially just a border at an angle, isn't it? As a quick fix, I'd stick a whole load of nasturtiums in there: they'll thrive in the rubbly soil and cascade down in front of the wall. You could put a few grasses in there too to give some vertical interest and a change of foliage, perhaps aligned with the fence posts to make it easier to work on the fence panels.

The first thing that jumped out at me is the bulge - not just in the retaining wall, but also in the fence at the same location. Do you know if this is because the ground at that point on your side is sinking, or are the conditions on the neighbour's side that are pushing it towards you?

And those sleeper steps - is their only purpose to give access to the top?

In any case, like the other posters, I thought you were thinking of a more comprehensive makeover. If it's literally just the strip between the top of the wall and the fence ... that's essentially just a border at an angle, isn't it? As a quick fix, I'd stick a whole load of nasturtiums in there: they'll thrive in the rubbly soil and cascade down in front of the wall. You could put a few grasses in there too to give some vertical interest and a change of foliage, perhaps aligned with the fence posts to make it easier to work on the fence panels.

The bulge and yes the bulge in the last piece of small fencing that I had erected are due to soil creep or pressure, as I mentioned I live on a hill so downward pressure

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    The bulge and yes the bulge in the last piece of small fencing that I had erected are due to soil creep or pressure, as I mentioned I live on a hill so downward pressure

I'm seeing two posts and three of the big panels (one whole, two halves) out of alignment. What'd bother me is why here: why these posts, and that bit of wall? As it corresponds to the area above/behind the patio, I'd be wondering if the construction of that has disrupted that natural drainage and/or soil creep, and if so, is this an on-going problem? Alternatively, is something to do with the location of the neighbour's house (visible behind the better part of the fence)? Are they diverting water to that side of their garden, and exacerbating your problem?

I'm seeing two posts and three of the big panels (one whole, two halves) out of alignment. What'd bother me is why here: why these posts, and that bit of wall? As it corresponds to the area above/behind the patio, I'd be wondering if the construction of that has disrupted that natural drainage and/or soil creep, and if so, is this an on-going problem? Alternatively, is something to do with the location of the neighbour's house (visible behind the better part of the fence)? Are they diverting water to that side of their garden, and exacerbating your problem?

The patio and old style retaining wall were built at the same time bout ten years ago

I agree, the wall being out of alignment is concerning enough, but the fence bulging as well suggests there is more going on up there than I would be happy with. Was there any support there before you put in the decorative wall? We were in a similar situation in one house, except we were the higher house. When the builder sold the sites below he put in a massive 12' wall to support the end of our garden - which was not nearly as extreme as the slope you have there.

• Advertisement

I agree, the wall being out of alignment is concerning enough, but the fence bulging as well suggests there is more going on up there than I would be happy with. Was there any support there before you put in the decorative wall? We were in a similar situation in one house, except we were the higher house. When the builder sold the sites below he put in a massive 12' wall to support the end of our garden - which was not nearly as extreme as the slope you have there.

The decorative wall has a dry stone wall/ ditch behind it - before I go to bed I will drag out an older photo taken during construction

OK as promised here are taken in 2007 during renovations this show what the decorative wall has behind it

I hope you moved the cat before you finished the wall! :eek:

More questions than answers with those new photos: what happened to the eighth big fence panel? Were the original wooden posts replaced with concrete? And if so, does your neighbour know how to use a plumb-line or a straight edge? :p Were those stones re-used in the new wall, or are they buried behind it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’m going to have to google gabions!!! Love your three little bunnies!!

There’s a huge amount of money and manpower gone into that wall!

I’d +1 for annual returning bulbs up there - paperwhites, hyacinth, daffidols, lupins, ladyfingers - give you variety, different heights and beautiful scents throughout the spring and early summer.

grasses are nice but can look scruffy out of season. You could maybe train ornamental apple trees behind the shelter of the wall which might support the ground a bit and be interesting to look at - also flowers for the bees and fruits for the apple pies!! Take the yellow look off the fence too.

If you wanted even more green a varigated ficcus would give a lot of cover and be easy - it just depends what look you are going for!!!!

There is the new and popular evergreen Red Robbin which you could plant a hedge of in front of the fence - save in the painting & DIY & give year round green and red interest.

Some plants that climb or drape could look lovely tumbling down over the wall - I can’t remember if its vinca major or vinca minor that has quick ground cover & rapid growth, varigated leaves and little blue flowers - pretty hanging down over your wall but not everyone likes the natural look.

the issue of plants climbing up over the fence might be an issue with your neighbours but if it wasn’t I love Boston Ivy for big gloriously coloured vivid leaves in the Autumn and good green cover in the soring & summer - the leaves are spectacular in the Autumn.

There is also evergreen tumbling beautifully scented messy honeysuckle that would bring the seated place below alive with fragrance during the summer & give green all year long - it would work well with the bulbs low maintenance idea. You could also plant agapanthus which I love and allium - the big variety - so you’d have big blue and purple flowers (or white) in large clumps waving at you as you ate your BBQ beneath. They come back every year too. They’ll all do ok in rocky moist uneven soil with good light.

Lots to choose from!!!

PS - I don’t know whats going on in the rocky side part but you could grow that yellow ivy there or use evergreen honeysuckle or vinca as ground cover there - I’d be worrying that all those rocks were there to hold up something or to stop it being a waterfall!!! Using an evergreen climber as a ground cover could fix a multitude of problems! My honeysuckle and varigated ivy and clematis all managed to grow up and across a roof - looks fabulous & totally unplanned. Lots of little robins and bluebirds and butterflies in there now too. Never would of thought it would have worked but looks great & smells divine.

There are also little lilac trees that flower, can be used to drape lights in at Christmastime and are really charming - good root structure too and they stay low enough!

Also these to tumble down during the summer - a mad riot of colour that grow and grow and can be grown from seed : use in conjunction with bulbs or you’ll have nothing in spring!!!

https://gardenseedsmarket.com/garden-nasturtium-jewel-of-africa-decorative-leaves-indian-cress-monks-cress.html?currency=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_Hrc1I7josI5dZzYAsJ4YZKdQX1z_fZttcwhus-aADFK1QpO4OraoAaAh6MEALw_wcB

I’m going to have to google gabions!!! Love your three little bunnies!!

There’s a huge amount of money and manpower gone into that wall!

I’d +1 for annual returning bulbs up there - paperwhites, hyacinth, daffidols, lupins, ladyfingers - give you variety, different heights and beautiful scents throughout the spring and early summer.

grasses are nice but can look scruffy out of season. You could maybe train ornamental apple trees behind the shelter of the wall which might support the ground a bit and be interesting to look at - also flowers for the bees and fruits for the apple pies!! Take the yellow look off the fence too.

If you wanted even more green a varigated ficcus would give a lot of cover and be easy - it just depends what look you are going for!!!!

There is the new and popular evergreen Red Robbin which you could plant a hedge of in front of the fence - save in the painting & DIY & give year round green and red interest.

Some plants that climb or drape could look lovely tumbling down over the wall - I can’t remember if its vinca major or vinca minor that has quick ground cover & rapid growth, varigated leaves and little blue flowers - pretty hanging down over your wall but not everyone likes the natural look.

the issue of plants climbing up over the fence might be an issue with your neighbours but if it wasn’t I love Boston Ivy for big gloriously coloured vivid leaves in the Autumn and good green cover in the soring & summer - the leaves are spectacular in the Autumn.

There is also evergreen tumbling beautifully scented messy honeysuckle that would bring the seated place below alive with fragrance during the summer & give green all year long - it would work well with the bulbs low maintenance idea. You could also plant agapanthus which I love and allium - the big variety - so you’d have big blue and purple flowers (or white) in large clumps waving at you as you ate your BBQ beneath. They come back every year too. They’ll all do ok in rocky moist uneven soil with good light.

Lots to choose from!!!

PS - I don’t know whats going on in the rocky side part but you could grow that yellow ivy there or use evergreen honeysuckle or vinca as ground cover there - I’d be worrying that all those rocks were there to hold up something or to stop it being a waterfall!!! Using an evergreen climber as a ground cover could fix a multitude of problems! My honeysuckle and varigated ivy and clematis all managed to grow up and across a roof - looks fabulous & totally unplanned. Lots of little robins and bluebirds and butterflies in there now too. Never would of thought it would have worked but looks great & smells divine.

There are also little lilac trees that flower, can be used to drape lights in at Christmastime and are really charming - good root structure too and they stay low enough!

Also these to tumble down during the summer - a mad riot of colour that grow and grow and can be grown from seed : use in conjunction with bulbs or you’ll have nothing in spring!!!

https://gardenseedsmarket.com/garden-nasturtium-jewel-of-africa-decorative-leaves-indian-cress-monks-cress.html?currency=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0oCDBhCPARIsAII3C_Hrc1I7josI5dZzYAsJ4YZKdQX1z_fZttcwhus-aADFK1QpO4OraoAaAh6MEALw_wcB

Thanks for the great feedback on plants etc

The rocky side was just to hide the steep bank of clay, rubble including bovine bones, old glass, bottles etc as it seemed way way back in the day people just dumped stuff into the ditch

I felt it was too steep and just wanted to tidy it up a bit

Yes the way back in 2007 cost me 5K and i think the renovations snowballed from there. I had a number of people call to look at the job all bar one refused it - one couple of guys turned to me and said "they only wanted the easy jobs" - in the end it was an elderly guy I saw doing a job locally and he looked at it and agreed to do it.

It took a lot of work as you can see! I just hope it stays up!!!

I was not sure what to do to tidy it up and am worried that stress by extra weight (say extra fencing like before or a small wall etc) on top MAY cause mores stress so I will review all the suggestions here with regards plants and work on that

By the way my bunnies say hi!!

I hope you moved the cat before you finished the wall! :eek:

More questions than answers with those new photos: what happened to the eighth big fence panel? Were the original wooden posts replaced with concrete? And if so, does your neighbour know how to use a plumb-line or a straight edge? :p Were those stones re-used in the new wall, or are they buried behind it now?

The cat was fine!! :o

The eighth big panel fence was only ever supported by a concrete post on one side if I recall correctly.

Not sure if there were wooden posts before that.

Originally there was a large Sycramore tree on that ditch which I had cut down then cut even further now a rotten stump left and also a hedging (i think Lonicera nitida) that I had to climb up to cut by hand back in the day, the neighbours behind me but there house then put in the panel fencing in front of the hedging ( they disowned it as such) so I have to climb up and wedge in between the fence and hedging to cut it!!

Not sure about the reusing of stones, Had a couple tonnes delivered during construction in 2007

Advertisement