Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three people escape from quarantine

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭standardg60

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Latest on hotel quarantine now is that two women who had travelled to Dubai during Level 5 restrictions have been arrested for refusing to go into quarantine upon their return to Dublin yesterday. They both said they were single mothers and had no one to look after their children at home so couldnt go into quarantine. Which begs the question as to who was looking after the children while they were in Dubai. RTE also reported that they were in Dubai to get boob jobs.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0403/1207737-courts-quarantine/

The judge has given them bail but only on condition that they pay 2,000 each into an account as a bond AND that they present themselves at the hotel to start their 2 weeks quarantine. If they dont present then the cops will pick them up for breaking the bail conditions and put them in prison. So their choice now is a 2 week stay for 1,900 euro in the hotel or a stay in prison.

For me the biggest scandal in this is that both women were issued with 'hardship waiver letters' by the Department of Foreign Affairs after being stuck in the airport in Dubai for two days.
    They had both refused to book and pay for the quarantine. To date 21 of these letters have been issued on an entirely ad-hoc basis, basically by lobbying local politicians.

I would love to know if these waiver letters are provided for in the legislation.
    Imo they are entirely discriminatory and anyone who has paid for their accommodation should now be entitled to reclaim their expenses from the state. It's one rule for all or none.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

For me the biggest scandal in this is that both women were issued with 'hardship waiver letters' by the Department of Foreign Affairs after being stuck in the airport in Dubai for two days.
    They had both refused to book and pay for the quarantine. To date 21 of these letters have been issued on an entirely ad-hoc basis, basically by lobbying local politicians.

I would love to know if these waiver letters are provided for in the legislation.
    Imo they are entirely discriminatory and anyone who has paid for their accommodation should now be entitled to reclaim their expenses from the state. It's one rule for all or none.

The letters should be public knowledge or atleast overseen by an independent group for scrutiny.

Yesterday the department said it's embassies had issued a few waiver letters in 'cases of hardship' when people could not pay the 1900 euro in advance.
    It said it was up to the departments of health and justice to decide if these people should pay the bill once they arrived in Ireland.

Staff at the quarantine hotel had no idea of the existence of the letters until people turned up with them.

You honestly couldn't make this stuff up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Is the thread gone about them? I saw a thread called "promising young women" and thought it might have been renamed but that seems to be a film.

Is the thread gone about them? I saw a thread called "promising young women" and thought it might have been renamed but that seems to be a film.

It was suspended for 'a clean up' but looks like it's gone altogether now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks like it was nipped in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This quarantine setup isn't really working properly is it?
    Is it an Irish thing?

Why can other countries do it, and do it properly yet we can't?

We have people avoiding it, challenging it in court and others constantly moaning on radio about it. People know the rules now, if you don't want to quarantine when you arrive in Ireland, DONT TRAVEL!

And then we have sensationalist stories like the one on the Indo website, "our family is effectively split in 2". Yes it may be, but it's for 2 weeks, not forever, get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it an Irish thing?

We have people avoiding it, challenging it in court and others constantly moaning on radio about it. People know the rules now, if you don't want to quarantine when you arrive in Ireland, DONT TRAVEL!

And then we have sensationalist stories like the one on the Indo website, "our family is effectively split in 2". Yes it may be, but it's for 2 weeks, not forever, get over yourself.

Australia and New Zealand aren't subject to European human right laws.

I think the experience here has shown that most people travelling at the moment are doing so for highly essential reasons like visiting dying relatives etc. Saying don't travel in capital letters is great, but not much of an option for some people who may have contracts running out overseas etc. and have no means to support themselves or even legally remain in the country they are based without returning to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Begs the question, Why aren't they just flying to Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The waivers are so that the airline will let them get on the flight.

And you would need such a mechanism for people who are genuinely stuck and would organise payment later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

afatbollix wrote: »
    Begs the question, Why aren't they just flying to Belfast?

AFAIK there are currently no flights to Belfast from outside the common travel area..and the UK also has hotel quarantine for people coming in from red list countries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Is it an Irish thing?

You’re ignoring the extortionate cost of €1,875 per adult. Plus for non-MHQ countries, people can exit quarantine on day 5 if you pass a test.

There’s a substantial difference and not everyone is travelling to go on holidays.

As you’ve seen from the recent news stories, people are being prohibited from attending urgent family matters on compassionate grounds and funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wallander wrote: »

I think the experience here has shown that most people travelling at the moment are doing so for highly essential reasons like visiting dying relatives etc.

Sorry but I can't agree with that. Of course there are people travelling for very essential reason like seeing dying relatives, and these cases rightly make the news.

But don't forget the ones travelling for boob jobs.

And we had thousands landing per week up until 2 weeks ago, you really think they are all coming here for essential reasons?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sorry but I can't agree with that. Of course there are people travelling for very essential reason like seeing dying relatives, and these cases rightly make the news.

But don't forget the ones travelling for boob jobs.

And we had thousands landing per week up until 2 weeks ago, you really think they are all coming here for essential reasons?

How do you know the reasons they’re travelling for?

I’ve no doubt not everyone is travelling for essential reasons but given passenger numbers are down 97-98% I think it’s fair to say we are looking at very low numbers of those flouting the rules. I’ve travelled to Ireland a few times over the past year. Flights from my nearest airport in Spain in normal time flights to Ireland ranges from between 18 to 24 times a week depending on the time of year. There’s currently only one flight a week to Ireland and the flight isn’t operating at full capacity. It’s not tourists filling the flight either.

And you’re obsessed with boob jobs. What’s your issue with boob jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

faceman wrote: »
    How do you know the reasons they’re travelling for?

I’ve no doubt not everyone is travelling for essential reasons but given passenger numbers are down 97-98% I think it’s fair to say we are looking at very low numbers of those flouting the rules. I’ve travelled to Ireland a few times over the past year. Flights from my nearest airport in Spain in normal time flights to Ireland ranges from between 18 to 24 times a week depending on the time of year. There’s currently only one flight a week to Ireland and the flight isn’t operating at full capacity. It’s not tourists filling the flight either.

And you’re obsessed with boob jobs. What’s your issue with boob jobs?

The thing is that there is the ideal and then there is the reality. Both for travel and for boob jobs but I will ignore the latter for now.

In an ideal world, if nobody took the piss, we wouldn't need any enforced restrictions and the genuine cases could just go. I mean if people who didn't absolutely need to go somewhere, just didn't go.

The problem is that, given human nature, too many people would take the piss and that means we have to check people and it also will result in genuine cases getting caught up or having to prove their circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

For all the mention here of family funerals not ONE story has hit the media of anyone coming home for a funeral.

Please point me in the direction of one story where the family were stopped attending a funeral.

Beatty69 wrote: »
    For all the mention here of family funerals not ONE story has hit the media of anyone coming home for a funeral.

Please point me in the direction of one story where the family were stopped attending a funeral.
    you didn't look very hard.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/puerto-rico-mandatory-hotel-quarantine-in-ireland-5402575-Apr2021/

Advertisement