Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish family appeal mandatory quarantine..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Pelezico wrote: »
    That is tight. People are on their high horse.. it is joy at someone else's misfortune.

All the better because they were in Australia probably earning the big money. We will show them and make them hurt.

I'm sorry, but this is such a bullshít!!

Again, they choose to fly over, they knew about quarantine. It's not like they have to be living in a basement of haunted house.

But yeah high horse.. misfortune..etc

Twisting simple story is your joy I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭carveone

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    True enough . I wonder are there any cheaper options ? Or is it the only hotel available ? I mean a single person with no kids might be willing to be in a cheaper hotel ?

I don't believe you get a choice. The website essentially says "Pay this amount" and that's it, no other information is given. You go where you are put, which is to one of four hotels sanctified by the government.

Why those particular four were chosen might be interesting but the govt and media have got us all so busy being outraged about so many things we're not asking what the govt is doing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Suckit wrote: »
    Tough for them, but they must have had a fair idea what they were coming back to.

All I can think of is to say them, stfu, it's two weeks, the world is suffering, get over it. Stop Whingeing.

+1
    This isn't suffering. It's an expensive inconvenience to reduce the risk of putting someone into real suffering from this virus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

carveone wrote: »
    I don't believe you get a choice. The website essentially says "Pay this amount" and that's it, no other information is given. You go where you are put, which is to one of four hotels sanctified by the government.

Why those particular four were chosen might be interesting but the govt and media have got us all so busy being outraged about so many things we're not asking what the govt is doing anymore.

Is there a self catering option where you can pay for accomodation only and handle your own cooking \ grocery deliveries \ take out food delivery I wonder?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Antares35 wrote: »
    So she can whinge about it.

My experience of Australians over the years tend to be reflected in this lady's actions.
    It would appear she has immersed herself in the real Australia,and is now keen to spread the good word.....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Yes...and we gladly gave away our freedoms. It really is a horrible vindictive little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I would love to see that contract. It's in fact one hotel group called Tifco Hotel Group that got the contract. No doubt the taxpayer is picking up the bill for unused hotel rooms whilst the hotel keeps the profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So true , we are all weary now and hear only white noise when Micheal Martin speaks . I wonder is the high price to discourage people coming ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

KaneToad wrote: »
    I don't get why they didn't just rebook the flights? Go via Qatar. Would cost a few quid, but it wouldn't be as bad as paying 5K to stay in a hotel room for the guts of two weeks...

2k but yeah traversing through Malaysia or Singapore etc etc would be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I would love to see that contract. It's in fact one hotel group called Tifco Hotel Group that got the contract. No doubt the taxpayer is picking up the bill for unused hotel rooms whilst the hotel keeps the profit.
    Why it was a chain to begin with and how they were chosen, and not randomly chosen small Irish businesses etc.. is another thing.
    The cynic in me is getting louder throughout this F*cking pandemic.
    It wouldn't surprise me if every step of lockdown was only done after our government only found a way of getting another backhander for each of them.
    I'm particularly angry this evening, and being stuck in the longest lockdown in Europe/The World isn't helping.

I hope people remember how some acted etc. during all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AlekSmart wrote: »
    My experience of Australians over the years tend to be reflected in this lady's actions.
    It would appear she has immersed herself in the real Australia,and is now keen to spread the good word.....:(

Was thinking the same. She's picked up the whingeing about everything trait nicely.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is there a self catering option where you can pay for accomodation only and handle your own cooking \ grocery deliveries \ take out food delivery I wonder?

That would make a lot of sense for relocating families. So, no...

The system seems to be have been designed (as much as our glorious govt design anything) to cater for business travellers and, as "iamwhoiam" points out, the high price would deter holiday makers.

It's possible noone was thinking about entire relocating families. When my sister relocated from Luxemburg it took them months and months of planning - they were committed to a date two months before they moved.

As everyone may have noticed, this government doesn't do things on remotely those timescales - it's all panic-react-ignore the scientists-panic-react. The schools need to close so they given two days notice. Lockdown needs to happen so they given two hours notice.

As I minor aside and I don't want to aggravate anyone, but the only way things change in this country is if someone complains loudly enough. If you do what I was taught to do - sit down and shut up or "I'll give you reason to complain" - then those in power get to sit back and do whatever they're doing. Granted, this is not on the level of contraception or divorce but as a modern Irishman I consider it my god given right to bitch about something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭wassie

AlekSmart wrote: »

My experience of Irish with narrow minded views of Australians over the years is that they construct narratives to accord with their own unconscious bias.

Oranage2 wrote: »

I put my head in my hands just now thinking "Oh my god, I really hope that just completely cynical thinking and that's not actually happening". But as "Suckit" just said, "the cynic in me is getting louder".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

I just pity whatever section she'll be working, sorry saving, in nursing.

I think she is an oncology nurse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

LilyShame wrote: »
    High horses! High horses! This whole thing has lost its plot. What if her 13 yo reads this, the boards mafia tearing their mother to threads.

@.

This mod needs to close this one down.

She's the one who willingly put her children into the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well this thread rapidly became a place for angry isolated people to vent their righteous indignation at a family with young children for their perceived wrongdoing. I wonder what could be causing all the frustration.

Divide and conquer working excellently, the government don't need to do anything as we tear ourselves apart in the next two months.

I think most people will see quite clearly that you are the one trying to be righteous

wassie wrote: »
    My experience of Irish with narrow minded views of Australians over the years is that they construct narratives to accord with their own unconscious bias.

She has been put in Auatralia earning big money.Time to rinse her qhe she gets home.

We cant have anyone getting above their station.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So true , we are all weary now and hear only white noise when Micheal Martin speaks . I wonder is the high price to discourage people coming ?

No it is to discourage people leaving. The whole I'm going to sunny Spain for "essential" botox on my ass is still going on and that is what the quarantine is there to stop. Don't forget we tried the quarantine at home thing and loads of people took the pi$$ and went shopping or whatever

breezy1985 wrote: »
    No it is to discourage people leaving. The whole I'm going to sunny Spain for "essential" botox on my ass is still going on and that is what the quarantine is there to stop. Don't forget we tried the quarantine at home thing and loads of people took the pi$$ and went shopping or whatever

As far as I can tell, you aren't forced to quarantine if you come in from Spain. Just mostly Africa and South America. And the UAE of course, given the crux of this thread. And Austria, which is interesting. I must check the incidence rates in those countries...

Edit: The "high risk" list on which mandatory quarantine is based seems to be highly dubious. UAE is on there even though 80% of their population has been vaccinated! Many African countries are on there that don't have high incidence rates, Zambia and DRC for example (although their numbers might well be fictional). India, Russia, Czechia, Turkey, Italy and France are all fine apparently, come on in... I admit that I might be completely wrong here but who made this list anyway?

• Advertisement

You cannot enter Ireland from UK without a negative PCR test. Thia is hilarious on a number of counts.

You can enter from NI but not from port or airport. The fact remains that UK is remarkably more successful than us at vaccination rollout.

Who will pay for this ridiculous lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

jesus, some amount of **** behaviour from posters on here towards that family.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

copeyhagen wrote: »
    jesus, some amount of **** behaviour from posters on here towards that family.

Richly deserved. Actually they are getting off lightly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Edit: The "high risk" list on which mandatory quarantine is based seems to be highly dubious. UAE is on there even though 80% of their population has been vaccinated! Many African countries are on there that don't have high incidence rates, Zambia and DRC for example (although their numbers might well be fictional). India, Russia, Czechia, Turkey, Italy and France are all fine apparently, come on in... I admit that I might be completely wrong here but who made this list anyway?

As far as I can tell a country goes on the quarantine list when they report a number of cases of either the Brazilian or South African variant.

Anyone can come in with coronavirus just don't seed a variant with some degree of vaccine resistance and allow it to spread.

UAE have 2000 cases a day (twice our population) despite 80% of the population partially vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Probably been covered already in the thread but it's funny that UAE is even on that list when they've had less cases in a month than the US does most days, yet the US isn't on it :confused:

As far as I can tell a country goes on the quarantine list when they report a number of cases of either the Brazilian or South African variant.

Anyone can come in with coronavirus just don't seed a variant with some degree of vaccine resistance and allow it to spread.

UAE have 2000 cases a day (twice our population) despite 80% of the population partially vaccinated.

Thanks - I missed that number somehow which seems fairly high considering. Per million, it's almost twice as high as Ireland (but half that of France). It makes more sense when you consider the variants as the more important data set.

According to the Guardian anyway (last minute late night googling!) France's current numbers appear to be driven by the Kent variant, same as here. But the article suggests that 30,000 a day in France implies 2000 per day of the South African variant. Which is not to suggest that UAE shouldn't be on the list but to suggest that we should be tracking more people from more countries.

Given the way the UK ran around like lunatics trying to track down a few people with the Brazilian variant, obviously they're pretty anxious to keep it out.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Probably been covered already in the thread but it's funny that UAE is even on that list when they've had less cases in a month than the US does most days, yet the US isn't on it :confused:

I was about to suggest that the list might be more motivated by political concerns than medical ones. But then I'm becoming a cynical bastard ;) As "CIARAN_BOYLE" suggests though, the list may be heavily skewed towards countries with problematic variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

SteM wrote: »
    Jeez, they're really making the worst of their situation. Apparently they have to lay their suitcases on the ground to get their stuff out. Why don't they unpack their stuff into the wardrobes?

This exactly, they knew what they were signing up to, not a bit of symapathy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

breezy1985 wrote: »

Well Spain is not on the list for hotel quarantine so that doesnt hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fail to Appeal

Advertisement