Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish family appeal mandatory quarantine..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

GoneHome wrote: »
    This exactly, they knew what they were signing up to, not a bit of symapathy for them

How on earth did they know what they were signing up to? It only came into being the day before they arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,807 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well Spain is not on the list for hotel quarantine so that doesnt hold

Didn't realize that till now. It should be every country as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 25,807 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

pwurple wrote: »
    How on earth did they know what they were signing up to? It only came into being the day before they arrived?

It was well known for quite a while before that

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Wouldn't be surprised if they on the late late show this Friday..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was in the process of being signed into law for what 8 weeks roughly? They knew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The Adrian Kennedy Show on dublin's 98FM is discussing this (without Adrian Kennedy*)

Predictably, the stand-in host provides a dumb commentary on the video saying it's impossible for a family of 5 to survive in one room etc...you get the idea, it's to not investigate the circumstances, but to poke a fire.

*Stand in host has a voice like nails down a blackboard so good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

is_that_so wrote: »
    The most telling line imo

He understands the importance of protecting the public from the virus. “It is harsh but it is necessary,” he says.

gmisk wrote: »

He understands the importance of protecting the public from the virus. “It is harsh but it is necessary,” he says.
    Just hope he doesn't catch it when he's released!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I saw this article - basically it seems a single man with a good internet connection and some good books doesn't mind being holed up for 10 days despite some grumbles. I'd be interested to hear how single female travellers, vulnerable or disabled people are finding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Wouldn't be surprised if they on the late late show this Friday..

A story that may not portray the government or NPHET as anything but positive shining lights of brilliance in this time of COVID, on RTE!!!

No chance.

Wallander wrote: »
    I saw this article - basically it seems a single man with a good internet connection and some good books doesn't mind being holed up for 10 days despite some grumbles. I'd be interested to hear how single female travellers, vulnerable or disabled people are finding it.
    Huh?
    What difference would it be for a single female?
    Does a single female traveller need more books or better internet in her room....

I think ideally vulnerable or disabled people shouldn't be travelling at the minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Huh?
    What difference would it be for a single female?
    Does a single female traveller need more books or better internet in her room....

I think ideally vulnerable or disabled people shouldn't be travelling at the minute...

But if you are allowed to safely quarantine at home, a vulnerable or disabled person could travel when essential. Yet they are effectively being denied this right (from certain countries) due to the political grandstanding of putting quarantine hotels in a country with a wide open land border.

Wallander wrote: »
    But if you are allowed to safely quarantine at home, a vulnerable or disabled person could travel when essential. Yet they are effectively being denied this right (from certain countries) due to the political grandstanding of putting quarantine hotels in a country with a wide open land border.
    I think you are looking for issues where there have been none yet...have any vulnerable or disabled people complained about the conditions in quarantine?

The open land border thing is a tad overstated imo.
    My parents are in Lanzarote (since last year) and are looking at coming home in next few months. If they came home via Dublin they would only need a single negative PCR test. If they come via Belfast they would as well as a negative test also have to present two more negative tests at a set number of days after being at home.
    Also take into account the fact the massive volume of people who are now vaccinated in northern Ireland (one dose at least).

I think hotel quarantine here isnt sufficient, picking and choosing countries based on not a whole lot of logic.

I think you are looking for issues where there have been none yet...have any vulnerable or disabled people complained about the conditions in quarantine?

The open land border thing is a tad overstated imo.
    My parents are in Lanzarote (since last year) and are looking at coming home in next few months. If they came home via Dublin they would only need a single negative PCR test. If they come via Belfast they would as well as a negative test also have to present two more negative tests at a set number of days after being at home.
    Also take into account the fact the massive volume of people who are now vaccinated in northern Ireland (one dose at least).

I think hotel quarantine here isnt sufficient, picking and choosing countries based on not a whole lot of logic.

The logic is the possible risk of other variants from countries on the list, nothing else.

The logic is the possible risk of other variants from countries on the list, nothing else.
    I get that, but those variants are also in other countries now, plus some of the countries not on that list have a really high incidence rate.

I get that, but those variants are also in other countries now, plus some of the countries not on that list have a really high incidence rate.

Exactly , makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

So what happens if someone in the hotel quarantine falls ill with a variant covid and has to go to hospital here? Covid doesn’t spread in hospital? Numbers would strongly suggest otherwise. What a waste of time this all is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The biggest issue is that he flew into Paris and took a flight from there to Dublin. If he was infected, he could have spread it on the flight from Paris to Dublin but others on the flight don't have to do the hotel quarantine? Who made this shït up?

This is the usual consequence of pandering to the mob, who were screaming for this quarantine thing.

If you step back for 2 minutes and realise there are so many holes in the concept, it doesn't make any sense to do it. We have open borders all over the place. Quarantine is pointless.

Decent leadership would be communicating that challenge (it won't work because x,y,z) , instead of this half-arsed thing slapped in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This is the usual consequence of pandering to the mob, who were screaming for this quarantine thing.

If you step back for 2 minutes and realise there are so many holes in the concept, it doesn't make any sense to do it. We have open borders all over the place. Quarantine is pointless.

Decent leadership would be communicating that challenge (it won't work because x,y,z) , instead of this half-arsed thing slapped in.

A last ditch money grab no doubt, I could understand it a year ago, but now?

We're about 6 months away from the end game and we decide to stick 33 countries on a list that have only 2 have direct flights to Ireland anyway. Yet we let countries with thousands of cases a day with direct flights come here willy nilly.

I can understand UAE but to put people just catching connecting flights from there is a bit of a stretch.

There's a dodgy 'handshake' involved somewhere with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

all these points were made for reason not to have quarantine but people kept pushing on about it, why should we do 5km when people flying in ect.
    Reacting to 'the people' it was introduced now the voices against it are getting the air time.
    Frustrating way this cycle is happening one of the reasons I am avoiding news, current affairs, radio as much as possible now. Things have not changed much over the year what needs to be done to supress virus is the same but to 'shake things' up a bit change content producers focus on different things.
    Vaccine roll out is happening, numbers in hospitals are down, steady number of people getting virus each day. Schools open most work places are closed or happening at home.
    Not many facts to report on so 'personal stories' taking over and causing outrage and frustration.
    The story of this family shows how hard it is to understand living with restrictions when in a country which does not have them.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A last ditch money grab no doubt, I could understand it a year ago, but now?

We're about 6 months away from the end game and we decide to stick 33 countries on a list that have only 2 have direct flights to Ireland anyway. Yet we let countries with thousands of cases a day with direct flights come here willy nilly.

I can understand UAE but to put people just catching connecting flights from there is a bit of a stretch.

There's a dodgy 'handshake' involved somewhere with this.
    A money grab?!? where it is probably costing more to administer it than is being recouped....a system which had after opening about 70 bookings....lol
    I do agree it should be all or nothing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A money grab?!? where it is probably costing more to administer it than is being recouped....a system which had after opening about 70 bookings....lol
    I do agree it should be all or nothing imo

No doubt the hotel group is profiting whilst the taxpayer is footing the 'administration' cost

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm curious about how long it will take before people from affected countries decide to travel via Belfast instead of Dublin and we will see hardly anyone take up these quarantine places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

so lots of people on here slagging the Mum cos "we have been in lockdown etc and so as we have had to suffer, then they should suck it up too etc"...

2 wrongs do not make a right... granted she was being a bit dramatic about it all - but yeah, she's human.. but she wasn't trying to get out of quarantine - she just wanted better conditions for her and her family..

thats what baffles me.. people so quick to judge them.. yet are moaning about our lockdown - so i wonder how ye would in with their situation!! the irony of it all.. thats the nature of the species i guess... quite sad.. not v nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I would rather stay in a tent up the side of a mountain kms from civilisation and people than stay in any hotel.. could we put campsites in as an alternative? :D

Benefits no risk from hotel or security staff etc..out in fresh air less transmission..vit D.. better for my mental and physical health and I dont care about the one downside the Irish weather. Motorbike couriers can deliever a freezor box with food to me... apologies all away with the faries today...I think restrictionitis is the medical term . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

sporina wrote: »
    so lots of people on here slagging the Mum cos "we have been in lockdown etc and so as we have had to suffer, then they should suck it up too etc"...

2 wrongs do not make a right... granted she was being a bit dramatic about it all - but yeah, she's human.. but she wasn't trying to get out of quarantine - she just wanted better conditions for her and her family..

thats what baffles me.. people so quick to judge them.. yet are moaning about our lockdown - so i wonder how ye would in with their situation!! the irony of it all.. thats the nature of the species i guess... quite sad.. not v nice!
    By slagging do you mean "expect some kind of perspective"?

And it's been pointed out many times the mental health issues caused by lockdown over the last year, impact on abuse survivors and victims, domestic abuse, people in care homes suffering isolation, people being buried in body bags, dying alone, minimum numbers at funerals, babies unable to meet their family, some women giving birth alone, all antenatal appointments including those where the woman receives devastating news, attended alone.

So, not just "we have been in lockdown too". But more of a "please have a bit of perspective and think about the cohorts affected by the above mentioned before whingeing to the national press about not being able to get a birthday cake".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm curious about how long it will take before people from affected countries decide to travel via Belfast instead of Dublin and we will see hardly anyone take up these quarantine places.

If you go to the hotel booking site there is an option under 'how you arrived' for 'by car via Belfast'. They will get lots of people using that option no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Insane the level of vitriol for the family. It’s as if the public want them to suffer. Comparisons with direct provision and homelessness. Jesus, tactics the Catholic Church used to use to shame people.

Ironically the family came from the safest places in the world as far as covid is concerned and had a mere 45 minute layover and they’re forced to a 2 weeks quarantine at the cost of €5000.

They don’t even have a bed or chair each!

No provision for the exercise programme the state assured would be in place for mental and physical health. No room for it either.

Meanwhile John and Mary will have been diagnosed with covid yesterday in Ireland and can come and go from their house as they please, visit the supermarket, pick up their take away coffee and pop in to the chemist for a few lemsips. So can their close contacts. No one will check that they’re quarantining and no will know

The family in the hotel are low risk. John and Mary have covid and will spread it.

Bonkers

Advertisement