Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish family appeal mandatory quarantine..

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

faceman wrote: »
    You're taking all this very personally. Why is it so important to you that people in quarantine must suffer lower living conditions than everyone else?
    ]
    I never said it was important at all. I said she made the choice and now has to live with the consequences. The fact that it's not as plush as staying at home should be a given.
    Timing is irrelevant once the detention centres are in place. Should they be penalised further for not wanting to be there or because its their kid's birthday? :D:D

Timing is everything. She, herself, has admitted it. They should be quarantined (not penalised) for two weeks for the protection of everyone. She knew this going in, but decided to use her kid's birthday as a political football to garner sympathy to try to get out of the rules.
    Again why do you want them to suffer?

I don't. You're inferring that I do. I want her to stop playing 'poor me' and do what she signed up for.
    You're very much projecting.
    That's the second time you've said that, with nothing to back it up either time. Anything proposed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Auschwitz isn't a simile. Trivialising the holocaust is deplorable. I suggest you look up Abraham Foxman — a Holocaust survivor and the national director emeritus of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) who now heads the Center for the Study of Antisemitism at New York City’s Museum of Jewish Heritage.

To quote him:

"Stay away from the Holocaust, especially if you’re ignorant about it. Trivializing the Holocaust is as dangerous as denying it"

Correct, Auschwitz isn't a simile. But her level of giving out about a 4-star hotel is like someone giving out about the concentration camps. That's the simile, the comparison between the two. I'm sure someone with a high IQ like yourself can understand that, yes?
    Theres an error where the sentence isn't complete. Unless a reader as a low IQ they could not only see that, they could also work out what I was trying to say.

Let me know if you couldn't and I'll re-post it.

Insults, the last refuge of the damned. You made a balls of the sentence and it means absolutely gibberish. But, yeah, that's my fault as I've a low IQ :D
    Who said it was inhumane? Why are you using that word?

She did, in a separate radio interview I've heard.
    The use of the word 'love' is sexist and being used as an insult. Unless you are someone close to me. Are you someone close to me? If not, can you explain why you are using it?

Lol.....yeah, sure. I was using love towards herself, not towards someone called faceMAN.
    Are you a hotel critic that can show your credentials? If not I will have to assume you're lying about it being one of the nicest hotels in the country.

FFS.......I've stayed in over 200 hotels in this country, between work, weddings and whatnot. I also lived about 2 mins up the road from this one in Northwood for 10 years and have spent plenty of time in the Crowne Plaza, including staying in the rooms one night as a treat. It is easily in the top 15 hotels I've stayed in. Easily. Are you claiming otherwise? Why should we believe you when you've no hotel credentials?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

]
    I never said it was important at all. I said she made the choice and now has to live with the consequences. The fact that it's not as plush as staying at home should be a given.

Timing is everything. She, herself, has admitted it. They should be quarantined (not penalised) for two weeks for the protection of everyone. She knew this going in, but decided to use her kid's birthday as a political football to garner sympathy to try to get out of the rules.

I don't. You're inferring that I do. I want her to stop playing 'poor me' and do what she signed up for.

That's the second time you've said that, with nothing to back it up either time. Anything proposed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Correct, Auschwitz isn't a simile. But her level of giving out about a 4-star hotel is like someone giving out about the concentration camps. That's the simile, the comparison between the two. I'm sure someone with a high IQ like yourself can understand that, yes?

Insults, the last refuge of the damned. You made a balls of the sentence and it means absolutely gibberish. But, yeah, that's my fault as I've a low IQ :D

Lol.....yeah, sure. I was using love towards herself, not towards someone called faceMAN.

FFS.......I've stayed in over 200 hotels in this country, between work, weddings and whatnot. I also lived about 2 mins up the road from this one in Northwood for 10 years and have spent plenty of time in the Crowne Plaza, including staying in the rooms one night as a treat. It is easily in the top 15 hotels I've stayed in. Easily. Are you claiming otherwise? Why should we believe you when you've no hotel credentials?

Yours posts are getting more and more idiotic. I’m not engaging with you further

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

3 people in hotel quarantine have now tested positive.

I think there was only 30 or 40 who were booked in first round?

Anyway it clearly shows that this quarantine measure is needed.

I would apply it to all countries though not just some.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

appledrop wrote: »

We don't know if they arrived without a PCR test in the first place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

truth_01 wrote: »
    The question is why is the UK not on that list, they should have been there long time ago, it was spreading from there all this time, why do we block mostly African and South American countries when there is UK beside here with population of 80 million and pandemic out of proportion. what are the chances of someone landing and bring it from Burundi vs bring it from the UK ? UK should be in the red zone for Ireland for a long time by now to start with...
    It's almost as if there would be an issue with putting the UK on the list...what could it possibly be.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

We don't know if they arrived without a PCR test in the first place though.

I know yea, it would be even more worrying if they had a negative PCR test and then tested positive!

We will probably never know either way anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The question is why is the UK not on that list, they should have been there long time ago, it was spreading from there all this time, why do we block mostly African and South American countries when there is UK beside here with population of 80 million and pandemic out of proportion. what are the chances of someone landing and bring it from Burundi vs bring it from the UK ? UK should be in the red zone for Ireland for a long time by now to start with...

Simple reason. Its a relatively new list. Currently Ireland and the UK share a common travel area.

The spread.of the UK variant was one of the first of its kind and arrived here when the impact of the varient wasn't fully understood.

The spread of varients are now seen as a serious issue with regard to managing rates of infection- hence those countries on the red list where variants of concern are widespread.

At Christmas - even the CTA was suspended when Ireland imposed an initial ban on arrivals from the UK and then PCR testing for those arriving from the UK.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-ireland-britain-idUSL1N2JC0B5

And thats where we're atm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Had thought that Fergal lad on RTE said 26

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

gmisk wrote: »
    It's almost as if there would be an issue with putting the UK on the list...what could it possibly be.......

There is a common border between Ireland and UK which is as sacred as our beloved lockdown

There can be no restriction between Ireland and UK.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Have you ever though why is Ireland the only country in the EU adopting mandatory quarantine rules following the UK suit as per usual, no other country in EU had the brains to adopt something more stupid than this. Australia (an ex British colony follows the suit

What have Ireland, Great Britain and Australia got in common that no other country in Europe has???

Hint: we’re surrounded by water........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

]

You would make a good barrister sir. All points well made, he had nowhere left to go after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

brucky wrote: »
    You would make a good barrister sir. All points well made, he had nowhere left to go after this.

He made very good points imo. One thing I would leave out of this, is mentioning Auschwitz for sure.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I know yea, it would be even more worrying if they had a negative PCR test and then tested positive!

We will probably never know either way anyhow.

In NZ they had to revise their quarantine policies. People who had just arrived into quarantine were infecting those who were there 10 days, so they had to segregate into subsections further.
    I don't think that's happened here, but hopefully they've considered this angle.

I think quarantine is a good thing -if done properly with all travellers no matter where they come from, but it's pointless when people can fly into Belfast and come south, or fly into the UK and hop on a ferry.

So this is just a few quid for some crony of someone in government and maybe a slight deterrent for some. But it's not going to make any dent in our covid case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

In general terms, not just quarantine related, why are ports so easy to enter and exit from here. Doesn't seem to be the same drama as at airports at all.

I know passengers can arrive here by air via multiple hubs/stopovers from all kinds of places, but surely the same would apply to passengers who fly to say Amsterdam or elsewhere via Dubai or whatever country is on the quarantine list, catch a connecting flight to London and get the ferry over then. Opposite applies to exits from this country, are there fines for travelling by ferry to UK? I don't know.

Might be a bit of logistics involved for sure, and I think I must be missing something also, in my mushed Covid lockdown mindset.

Mandatory quarantine may come to a sudden end if it’s deemed illegal in its present form for EU citizens.

Won’t someone thing of the vaccine resistant viruses (that don’t exist) :pac: :pac:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/attorney-general-warnshealth-minister-it-may-be-illegal-to-charge-eu-citizens-to-stay-in-quarantine-hotels-40262921.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Neyite wrote: »
    In NZ they had to revise their quarantine policies. People who had just arrived into quarantine were infecting those who were there 10 days, so they had to segregate into subsections further.
    I don't think that's happened here, but hopefully they've considered this angle.

I think quarantine is a good thing -if done properly with all travellers no matter where they come from, but it's pointless when people can fly into Belfast and come south, or fly into the UK and hop on a ferry.

So this is just a few quid for some crony of someone in government and maybe a slight deterrent for some. But it's not going to make any dent in our covid case numbers.

MHQ certainly works well if done right, even when it doesn't it still has its advantages. Brisbane had a breach and they locked down for just under 3 days and have now lifted it as they were able to bring it under control with testing & tracing going back 14 days. Happy freedom Easter Bris-folks!!

All the experts said MHQ would never work in Ireland like elsewhere because of the border and Europe etc, even now like the 2 days joke Test/contact tracing MHQ looks so half-arsed why even bother.

The only alternative is closing down most of your businesses and locking up the entire population for 5-6 months at a time, definitely less sustainable.... like who wants to live like that?

it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Wait for the inevitable fallout as all of the contracts involved in MHQ are unwound and it is discovered that the government has to underwrite the "losses".

basill wrote: »
    Wait for the inevitable fallout as all of the contracts involved in MHQ are unwound and it is discovered that the government has to underwrite the "losses".

We know that the state does that already when Donnelly was questioned by media at launch

A bit more data on the positive test results in quarantine have emerged.

“2-3” positive tests. There were 148 quarantinees (what is the word for people in quarantine?). There are also 179 staff who are tested.

Assuming 2 positive cases that’s a 1.3% positivity. If 3 cases, that’s 2%. That’s in line with travel has shown in the past.

The more important question is did those cases arrive without a pcr test or did they have a negative test on arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Silly question, get vaccinated... no pcr test mandatory quarantine?

A bit more data on the positive test results in quarantine have emerged.

“2-3” positive tests. There were 148 quarantinees (what is the word for people in quarantine?). There are also 179 staff who are tested.

Assuming 2 positive cases that’s a 1.3% positivity. If 3 cases, that’s 2%. That’s in line with travel has shown in the past.

The more important question is did those cases arrive without a pcr test or did they have a negative test on arrival.

Doesn't really matter imo. Unless those in question were isolating before travel. You can get infected easy in space of 72 hrs.

NSAman wrote: »
    Silly question, get vaccinated... no pcr test mandatory quarantine?

You may as well be unvaccinated than vaccinated. Same rules apply for everyone. Because.... Ireland.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter imo. Unless those in question were isolating before travel. You can get infected easy in space of 72 hrs.

Probability of risk is important however.

Probability of risk is important however.

148 quarantinees is pretty small sample to say risk is low or high.

Advertisement