Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer help needed

Options
  • 27-03-2021 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm hoping that someone here can help me, a few days ago I began the large undertaking of tackling our overgrown lawn, way too high for a lawnmower so I began cutting it down as close as I could using my electric strimmers which I've owned since last summer.

Long story short, half ways through the lawn I once again had to rewind my strimmers spool which I've been doing successfully on numerous occasions since buying the thing, this time however something went wrong, it's like the spool just wants to unwind itself the second I put it onto the strimmers, like the winding has produced a spring like action, no amount of carefully putting it on seems to make a blind bit of difference, I even went and wedged some cardboard over the shaft which the spool fits over, thinking that perhaps there was wear there and things were not fitting together snugly enough, this worked as far as the spool not immediately unwinding itself as I was attaching it to the strimmers but as soon as I switched on the strimmers it completely and constantly just cut off lengths of string and wouldn't stop unwinding and cutting so that idea obviously didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Please bear in mind that I have successfully rewound many many spools for this strimmers over the course of last summer and for the first half of this overgrown lawn, I'd hate to have to throw the thingy away as it's a decent strimmers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

novaboy80 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm hoping that someone here can help me, a few days ago I began the large undertaking of tackling our overgrown lawn, way too high for a lawnmower so I began cutting it down as close as I could using my electric strimmers which I've owned since last summer.

Long story short, half ways through the lawn I once again had to rewind my strimmers spool which I've been doing successfully on numerous occasions since buying the thing, this time however something went wrong, it's like the spool just wants to unwind itself the second I put it onto the strimmers, like the winding has produced a spring like action, no amount of carefully putting it on seems to make a blind bit of difference, I even went and wedged some cardboard over the shaft which the spool fits over, thinking that perhaps there was wear there and things were not fitting together snugly enough, this worked as far as the spool not immediately unwinding itself as I was attaching it to the strimmers but as soon as I switched on the strimmers it completely and constantly just cut off lengths of string and wouldn't stop unwinding and cutting so that idea obviously didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Please bear in mind that I have successfully rewound many many spools for this strimmers over the course of last summer and for the first half of this overgrown lawn, I'd hate to have to throw the thingy away as it's a decent strimmers.

You can buy a new head , no need to discard the whole strimmer if the spoiling mechanism is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

Car99 wrote: »
    You can buy a new head , no need to discard the whole strimmer if the spoiling mechanism is broken.

Thanks, how will I know if it's the head that's the problem, because there's no obvious damage that I can see, what kind of lifespan do heads tend to have in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can get different tips instead of the plastic cable type,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Try stripping the head down completely and cleaning it. I've a perfectly good head that goes on a petrol strimmer that has design fault that allows grass to collect in it and once that happens the main seam opens up a bit and moves the teeth in the drum that holds the strimmer line away from the teeth in the body of the strimmer so the line comes out in one go.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

1.Check that you are winding it on in the right direction.
    2. If that's not the answer, try having a look at at the head of one in the shop where you bought it Bring the head off your one for comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement