Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing Cheque from Government of Canada

Options
  • 28-03-2021 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi BOI,
    I'm not an existing customer but would become one if you can help with my problem

I received a cheque from the Government of Canada in 2017 worth >$2000 CAD. I tried to get it deposited through PTSB & AIB and both had issues getting it cleared. I think it stemmed from the fact the Cheque was from Gov of Canada rather than simply a Canadian retail bank. 
    Would you be able to direct me to who would be best to get in touch with to explore if BOI can get this deposited? I live in Dublin City, so happy to visit a branch in the city where they might be able to help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Adam We wrote: »
    Hi BOI,
    I'm not an existing customer but would become one if you can help with my problem

I received a cheque from the Government of Canada in 2017 worth >$2000 CAD. I tried to get it deposited through PTSB & AIB and both had issues getting it cleared. I think it stemmed from the fact the Cheque was from Gov of Canada rather than simply a Canadian retail bank. 
    Would you be able to direct me to who would be best to get in touch with to explore if BOI can get this deposited? I live in Dublin City, so happy to visit a branch in the city where they might be able to help.

Thanks
    If it's dated 2017, it's no longer valid, as it is over 6 months old. You'll need to get a new cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Adam We

Ally Dick wrote: »
    If it's dated 2017, it's no longer valid, as it is over 6 months old. You'll need to get a new cheque

That’s not true in this case

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/banking/cashing-government-cheque.html

“Cashing an old Government of Canada cheque
    You can cash a Government of Canada cheque no matter how old it is. Government of Canada cheques don’t have an expiry date and never become stale-dated. However, it may take longer to cash an older cheque because a financial institution may first want to verify that the cheque is legitimate.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi Adam, thanks for reaching out to us here on Boards.ie. 

Bank of Ireland no longer provides the facility of cashing cheques in branch. 

A cheque would need to be lodged to your account by using your card and pin at an LATM at a BOI branch. In order to lodge a cheque at a BOI LATM you would need an existing account. 

I hope this information helps. If there's anything else we can help you with please feel free to get back in touch with us here and we'll certainly do our best to help. 

Thanks, Eve 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP have you tried a Credit Union. You'll have to deposit the the cheque to let it clear but they may be easier to deal with than BoI.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

A cheque from Canada is going to be difficult to lodge to any account in Ireland as it will have to be sent on a collection basis to the bank in Canada

The time period to clear this cheque would be a couple of months and the fees are likely to be quite high, if the bank accepts it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

jahalpin wrote: »
    A cheque from Canada is going to be difficult to lodge to any account in Ireland as it will have to be sent on a collection basis to the bank in Canada

The time period to clear this cheque would be a couple of months and the fees are likely to be quite high, if the bank accepts it at all
    One reason I suggested trying the credit union, no point paying BoI charges for a couple of months for an account that is not doing anything except waiting for one check to clear. 

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement