Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen bike.

Options
  • 28-03-2021 1:40am
    Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭

My bike was stolen by a yob on O'Connell Street this evening and the Gardas attitude toward it was not very promising. Has anyone here had their bike returned by the gardai after it being stolen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why would the Gardai return it?
    You think they stole it?

To thine own self be true

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

Why would the Gardai return it?
    You think they stole it?

Well I would hope they would investigate it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Jerrykay6 wrote: »

The chances of tracking it down are pretty slim when they're under-resourched, but keep an eye on their lost and found list.

Not a nice thing to happen so I hope you are reunited.

The chances of tracking it down are pretty slim when they're under-resourched, but keep an eye on their lost and found list.

Not a nice thing to happen so I hope you are reunited.

I have the young fellas number so I'm hoping they can work with that. Thank you! Luckily I have another bike and was actually selling it but I'm still a few hundred out of pocket.

Very considerate thief to leave you his business card to give you a head start in tracking him down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Very considerate thief to leave you his business card to give you a head start in tracking him down.

:D

You must be the resident comedian?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I have the young fellas number so I'm hoping they can work with that. Thank you! Luckily I have another bike and was actually selling it but I'm still a few hundred out of pocket.

So you were selling a bike and got stung.

Hope ya get it back, too many scumbags around and too many useless twats in control.

kona wrote: »
    So you were selling a bike and got stung.

Hope ya get it back, too many scumbags around and too many useless twats in control.

Yeah that's it, met on O'Connell Street too as I thought it would be safe. I have the guys number though..provided that's not from a bloody stolen phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's pretty much 100% CCTV coverage on O'Connell Street, call Pearse Station tomorrow and ask for the Pulse number recorded for the crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Who TF cycles into town at that hour
    , limited lighting and the roads are ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

There's pretty much 100% CCTV coverage on O'Connell Street, call Pearse Station tomorrow and ask for the Pulse number recorded for the crime.
    QUOTED
    chill Clueso that is nod how it all works

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If you could ask the phone company to track where the call was made then you'd get a general idea where he lives and try locate him that way.

Could try sell something else and set up a sting and when he arrives give him a stern warning.

Google his number, see if the number shows up on any buy and sell sites.

Ps. Dublin is such a kip

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    Who TF cycles into town at that hour
    , limited lighting and the roads are ****e

It was 5pm?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If you could ask the phone company to track where the call was made then you'd get a general idea where he lives and try locate him that way.

Could try sell something else and set up a sting and when he arrives give him a stern warning.

Google his number, see if the number shows up on any buy and sell sites.

Ps. Dublin is such a kip

I'll never sell on done deal again. He actually seemed like a grand chap chatting away beforehand. Showed me the money and all and just wanted to test drive it up to the top of O'Connell street and back. I knew when he turned up by Brugha street what the Bo**ox was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Seriously? its well off their radar, probably never even recorded

Yeah that's it, met on O'Connell Street too as I thought it would be safe. I have the guys number though..provided that's not from a bloody stolen phone.

Where are you from? that you thought O'Connell st is a safe place, do you live in town and arent local? because Id have thought O'Connell st is fairly well known to not be particulariliy safe.
    I dont frequent the City Centre, basically ever anymore, but O'Connell st always had a bad vibe to me.

So what happened, he took a bike you were selling for a test ride and just kept going?

edit, I see you say he tested it, well more fool you for not holding the money, That was pretty foolish imo, I know anyone can get caught out but seriously??

1874 wrote: »
    Seriously? its well off their radar, probably never even recorded

Where are you from? that you thought O'Connell st is a safe place, do you live in town and arent local? because Id have thought O'Connell st is fairly well known to not be particulariliy safe.
    I dont frequent the City Centre, basically ever anymore, but O'Connell st always had a bad vibe to me.

So what happened, he took a bike you were selling for a test ride and just kept going?

Not from Dublin originally but I'm living here a few years. It's the main Street of out capital not like it was Sheriff street.

Yeah he was supposed to turn at the top and come back but he turned right up by the hotel and no sign of him after.

Not from Dublin originally but I'm living here a few years. It's the main Street of out capital not like it was Sheriff street.

Yeah he was supposed to turn at the top and come back but he turned right up by the hotel and no sign of him after.

Main st of our Capital, andddd? Sheriff st is easily cycling distance from O'Connell st, Id say walking distance, you say he turned up Cathal Brugha st, probably on his way to Sheriff st, is this a wind up?

Cmon, you have to be more clued in than that when dealing with people,
    How much was the bike worth/for sale for? just write it off, because it is gone now.

1874 wrote: »
    Main st of our Capital, andddd? Sheriff st is easily cycling distance from O'Connell st, Id say walking distance, you say he turned up Cathal Brugha st, probably on his way to Sheriff st, is this a wind up?

Cmon, you have to be more clued in than that when dealing with people,
    How much was the bike worth/for sale for? just write it off, because it is gone now.

Looking back it was silly but that's easy to say in hindsight. I felt he was genuine because I had his number and had seen his face etc. It was a giant escape was selling it for 250. I'm hoping the gardai will be able to track him down with the phone number as well as the CCTV in the area.

I'll never sell on done deal again. He actually seemed like a grand chap chatting away beforehand. Showed me the money and all and just wanted to test drive it up to the top of O'Connell street and back. I knew when he turned up by Brugha street what the Bo**ox was at.

Well it doesn't seem like you've the 'means' to confront him, gardai won't do anything, a lost bike is so low on their list of priorities , best you can hope for is whoever buys the bike is a wimp and you can just take the bike off him.

Did the thief leave any clues like where he's from, working, studying etc. Any idea what location he might be in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dragx

Dunno why you're being abused over this OP. Yes, always have cash in hand before allowing a test ride but that was your only mistake.

You shouldn't be shamed for trusting someone on the main street of Dublin, at 5PM, between two Garda stations.

FWIW, I do a lot of selling and never go near DoneDeal. Only Adverts, only deal with accounts with positive feedback, only meet people in an area I know well that is covered by CCTV and foot traffic.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well it doesn't seem like you've the 'means' to confront him, gardai won't do anything, a lost bike is so low on their list of priorities , best you can hope for is whoever buys the bike is a wimp and you can just take the bike off him.

Did the thief leave any clues like where he's from, working, studying etc. Any idea what location he might be in

He said he worked in Google but I doubt it tbh. Thick Dublin accent so definitely local.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ive been in your position before, it got nasty , ive no regrets.i hope it works out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

met on O'Connell Street too as I thought it would be safe. .

You must not be from Dublin if you thought that. That being said, I hope you get it back.

He said he worked in Google but I doubt it tbh. Thick Dublin accent so definitely local.

Ha that's gas. The Google job not the stolen bike. Could you ring him and see if he answers? Tell him he forgot to pay!

Sorry op but looks like it's an expensive lesson.

poisonated wrote: »
    You must not be from Dublin if you thought that. That being said, I hope you get it back.

Do you really think it's that bad? It's horrible looking with all the homeless and Romanians etc but I never found it to be particularly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Do you really think it's that bad? It's horrible looking with all the homeless and Romanians etc but I never found it to be particularly dangerous.

I was on o Connell street recently and I saw a girl get beaten up by about 6 people. I know people ought say that can happen anywhere but for a Main Street, o Connell street is very rough.

Looking back it was silly but that's easy to say in hindsight. I felt he was genuine because I had his number and had seen his face etc. It was a giant escape was selling it for 250. I'm hoping the gardai will be able to track him down with the phone number as well as the CCTV in the area.

Track him down? Id hazard a guess thats not how it works.
    Look I feel a bit bad you lost 250 quid, but what you did could be seen coming, its easy to see coming, Im nit going to say anything more critical, so lesson learned.
    Dont assume because they show you the money or say they work in wherever, that they arent going to just punch you in the face and take the bike or whatever you are selling,

The Gardai arent looking for this guy, the bike or anything, if you have the details and it turns up, you might be able to claim it back (if for some reason it happens to turn up in a haul of stolen bikes, the Gardai arent checking serial numbers), on that basis Id report the details of the bike and make sure it is entered into the system (pulse?).
    Or if the Garda bike auctions are still a thing, go and buy a replacement there,
    They are not going to get all CSI on this guy, his mobile number, and though it may be a burner, he probably knows nothing has or will be done about it so has zero need to even ditch his SIM card.

2 years you say, you need to be more careful

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Post the number here and we can organise in shifts to ring him 24/7.

• Advertisement

Normal One wrote: »
    Post the number here and we can organise in shifts to ring him 24/7.

As if that's not a burner SIM card!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement