Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filter for drain from lawn

Options
  • 28-03-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

I dug a trench to drain my lawn. I drilled a hole to connect it to an aco drain that connects to the drain for the gutter. [I plan to use a water butt to compensate for the extra load on that drain.]

It is raining heavily and the water is draining through the hole but it is a bit muddy and I'm concerned I'll clog the drain. I put a bit of spunbonded polyester weed block membrane in place but I'm not sure it is effective. [It advertises lining a french drain as one of its applications.] I also tried a couple of other weedproof membranes without being madly happy. I literally have just placed it in place though as it is too wet to attach it right now. I also have no idea how muddy the water can be that goes into the drain without leading to problems.

Any pointers? Is this going to be enough as a filter in itself? I imagine once it is in olace a little while the water will run a lot more cleanly. It is only dirty where I've been moving the clay about to redirect it from where it had veen running onto my driveway.

Have pics but need to reduce filesize to upload. Will add later.

Plan to stick a bit of pvc pipe in the hole and seal with pva

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

548484.jpg

548485.jpg

I added a smaller hole at the very bottom because I needed the drain to be a little lower.

I covered both with the fabric I referred to. It makes the water less dirty. I tested the other two types of fabric I have but neither of them let water through at all in this sort of set-up. I used the reflective tape plumbers use on pipes to stick them to the inside of the Aco drain. This seems like it will hold reliably.

I haven't tried covering the other side yet. It is concrete and is not dry enough yet. I'll need to prime it with PVA to have much hope of an adhesive holding in wet conditions on concrete. Otherwise I'll need to attach the farbic to a pipe and put that in. The only issue with that will be being able to remove/replace the fabric. I could have the pipe stick out on the lawn side, but that would be vulnerable to damage and I have a three year old who likes playing in that area.

Took advantage of the hot weather to make progress with this
    Put two coats of pva primer in the concrete and then taped the filter fabric over the holes. The double filtering works well and clear water runs into the drain from muddy water on the other side. Raised the channel a little to avoid pooling and will fill the lower part with gravel. Also need to remove the grass that is against the side of the patio because some mud is being washed into the drain from the top. Will replace with large gravel.

Advertisement