Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on MF 50B Digger

Options
  • 28-03-2021 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was hoping you can help on some questions on a 50B digger I was looking at. Would mainly plan to use the loader and occasional back actor.

1. Pump: It kills the engine a little when the ram hits the end...but not a lot. Is this normal. I would have expected the engine to die more if pump was good.

2. High clutch. It only bites in the last inch...it that ok or does it mean on the way out. Does seem to stall the machine when taking off in 2'nd with brakes.
    ( its 6 speed manual like 35)

3. Put down the posts and lift the back wheels, but then couldn't really lift it with the rams. Is this my technique or sign of something?

It;s not too expensive, but don't want to buy trouble of something needing major surgery. Any advice, simple tests? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

She sound's a bit dodgy. How much is seller looking for her?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭gk5000

cjpm wrote: »
    She sound's a bit dodgy. How much is seller looking for her?
    Not necessarily dodgy, just old...bout 3k so not expensive but no point in buying trouble.
    My latest notion is to drive her into a load of stones...and see if she lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Gillespy

It should drag the engine down a good bit. Our one and the one before it always groaned when a ram was fully in or out. Can't see too much room for any technique, pull the lever and it should lift you up.

I would look at a torque model instead ​if I was you. Way nicer to use if you're going to mainly use the front loader. The two pedals on the floor, one for forward and one to reverse is night and night compared to clutching.

Well it lifted 2 silage bales ticking over so think the pump is ok.
    When I say loader work, mainly just taking rubble out during a house renovation, so mainly sitting outside door or window and then carting stuff to a trailer or a pile 100 m away....besides clutch is likely less problematic.

The thing is... it is available within 45 mins of house, and don't fancy traveling further to look at one, and not sure how long I'd have to wait for a better one.

Latest is leak of trans fluid though the bottom of the bell housing, supposedly common on 165's of that era with seals round the shaft. What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

Is it possible to put lift arms and pto on a 50b.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

For 3k it sounds ok, clutch disc and pressure plate is probably around €250 + labour. It's probably over 40 years old at this stage. It's able to lift 2 bales, that's a fair test for anything that age. Take someone with you who has or had one, they'll know what to look out for.

Torque would be a nicer digger for loader work, but standard gearbox is ok at that money.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    For 3k it sounds ok, clutch disc and pressure plate is probably around €250 + labour. It's probably over 40 years old at this stage. It's able to lift 2 bales, that's a fair test for anything that age. Take someone with you who has or had one, they'll know what to look out for.

Torque would be a nicer digger for loader work, but standard gearbox is ok at that money.
    Thanks, but that was a while ago now, but I'm still on the lookout for a decent old 50B or JCB.

Multi has asked a new question on adding pto and lift arms to a 50B.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

148multi wrote: »
    Is it possible to put lift arms and pto on a 50b.

Yes, but it might not be worth it.
    Is there a hydraulic pump, quadrant controls and the hydraulic top cover on it?

Is it a clutch or torque converter type? With a torque converter the lift arms will only work when the transmission is turning.

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes, but it might not be worth it.
    Is there a hydraulic pump, quadrant controls and the hydraulic top cover on it?

Is it a clutch or torque converter type? With a torque converter the lift arms will only work when the transmission is turning.

It's a clutch, plate across where the pto would be. Will check the rest.

The fact that it's clutch would make it easier. I suppose you need to figure out what's missing from yours, they used to put the complete back end from a tractor in the older diggers/loaders. You'd be able to get most of the parts from a scrap yard, but I'd probably get a new pump if I were doing it myself (unless of course there is a perfectly good unused one in yours already).

I've an older 205 that was a digger, it has everything in place though including the PTO, hydraulic pump, quadrant, lift cylinder and complete top cover with the stubs for the arms. But it has a torque converter so arms and PTO only work when you put your foot on the pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

As far as iknow there s no pump and you would have to buy everything. The easiest id say is to take a back axle of a 100 series and join it on as it would be complete or else go full hog and try and find an ex.not sure is there room on under a 50 b cab for a lift.would love to throw an hx cab on our ex as it would be a nicer driving postion and most controls are piped on ex

K.G. wrote: »
    As far as iknow there s no pump and you would have to buy everything. The easiest id say is to take a back axle of a 100 series and join it on as it would be complete or else go full hog and try and find an ex.

Thanks for all the help

The fact that it's clutch would make it easier. I suppose you need to figure out what's missing from yours, they used to put the complete back end from a tractor in the older diggers/loaders. You'd be able to get most of the parts from a scrap yard, but I'd probably get a new pump if I were doing it myself (unless of course there is a perfectly good unused one in yours already).

I've an older 205 that was a digger, it has everything in place though including the PTO, hydraulic pump, quadrant, lift cylinder and complete top cover with the stubs for the arms. But it has a torque converter so arms and PTO only work when you put your foot on the pedal.

Ex lift and pto works independent to torque

Ex lift and pto works independent to torque

Yes it dose, but it's a few decades newer.

Yes it dose, but it's a few decades newer.

Fibreglass cab?

Fibreglass cab?

More like what's a cab? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Are these 50b machines reliable and are they much good for land work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 subsit

It is very useful if you have dry ground. I sunk mine a couple of times in soft ground, the "what brought you in there" type ground. A good machine to get work done as long as you know where you can and cannot drive it.

Advertisement