Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enjoying job but need it

Options
  • 29-03-2021 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi, bit of a strange one for me. I'm really not enjoying my job lately. I graduated in 2019 and lucky enough to get into a grad programme with an accountancy firm. I didn't come from accountancy background but have grinded away.
    Lately I've found I really don't enjoy accounting. The people I work with are lovely and can see they enjoy accounting but I can tell I'm not like them. I know covid has played a big factor with the likes of barely any grad events or training happening but I think that is more so to keep you happy and do the work.
    My big worry is how to survive when leaving a job if I do. I'm currently in dublin but from country. I ideally want to start a business idea that has been brewing for the past two years. I've no problem moving home for a bit if that was needed but my girlfriend is also up here. I'd have no issue also getting an other job that wasn't too taxing that I could work on business idea after hours but nothing like accounting where I'm not enjoying work, then having lectures until 9.30 and having to study and sit exams. Thanks for any help I advance

Sorry meant to add I started in November 2019 so have been in job for year plus!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Chacha97 wrote: »

Sorry meant to add I started in November 2020 so have been in job for year plus!

I dunno, you seem to have a talent for massaging figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

If you think you can hack it get your exams and then bail out, loads of people get qualified and never work as an accountant and it's a well respected qualification to have. If not get out now, it's not for everyone. You've got a degree, start applying for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Hi, bit of a strange one for me. I'm really not enjoying my job lately. I graduated in 2020 and lucky enough to get into a grad programme with an accountancy firm. I didn't come from accountancy background but have grinded away.
    Lately I've found I really don't enjoy accounting. The people I work with are lovely and can see they enjoy accounting but I can tell I'm not like them. I know covid has played a big factor with the likes of barely any grad events or training happening but I think that is more so to keep you happy and do the work.
    My big worry is how to survive when leaving a job if I do. I'm currently in dublin but from country. I ideally want to start a business idea that has been brewing for the past two years. I've no problem moving home for a bit if that was needed but my girlfriend is also up here. I'd have no issue also getting an other job that wasn't too taxing that I could work on business idea after hours but nothing like accounting where I'm not enjoying work, then having lectures until 9.30 and having to study and sit exams. Thanks for any help I advance

Sorry meant to add I started in November 2020 so have been in job for year plus!

What about a new girlfriend? Looks like that's the main thing keeping you from going home to work on the business idea

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

Dav010 wrote: »
    I dunno, you seem to have a talent for massaging figures.

My god only spotted that haha I was writing the post five mins before getting online!

My god only spotted that haha I was writing the post five mins before getting online!

I got my years messed up. Began in 2019. A new girlfriend is not an option. We've been together five years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Lots of people don't like their jobs.

Stay put until the virus situation is over and you have more options.

I understand it's soul destroying. I've been in your situation before. Just grind through it.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Lots of people don't like their jobs.

Stay put until the virus situation is over and you have more options.

I understand it's soul destroying. I've been in your situation before. Just grind through it.

Yeah I get what you are saying. I'm incredibly lucky to have a job and shouldn't take it for granted.

I understand I'll probably hate most jobs starting off in career as this is when you slog it out but I think maybe I'm unsuited to accountancy

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭thefa

If I were in your position, I would try to see out the next set of exams which should be just around the corner. Take some holidays and use some of the extra downtime to explore your options in other areas and do a deeper dive into your business idea.

Also, I wouldn’t underestimate what you are missing out on with the WFH environment if you are a social person.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

You don't like your job. Well lots of people don't like their jobs but you have one that will pay well once you qualify.

A job isn't a hobby. Sure it helps if you like it but there's not much going out there at the moment so unless you have a considerable savings account that will get you over the next few years then I recommend sticking this out. Not only that but if you jump career after the accountancy exams, you'll be much more employable.

In relation to Dublin and the gf, well only you can make a decision there but if your business idea means moving out of Dublin and it's what you're wanting to do, well maybe it's time to sit down and talk about happiness, the future and finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

Hi, bit of a strange one for me. I'm really not enjoying my job lately. I graduated in 2019 and lucky enough to get into a grad programme with an accountancy firm. I didn't come from accountancy background but have grinded away.

Sorry meant to add I started in November 2019 so have been in job for year plus!

You seem a bit overwhelmed at the moment so don't do anything drastic until you have taken time to do a bit of thinking. Do you have a mentor to bounce ideas off?
    I think you should approach the issue systematically.

What are your top 2-3 career choices?
    What are you short-term and long-term career goals?
    Does the accountancy qualification improve your chances of success with your goals?

For your business idea:
    Does the accountancy qualification improve your chances of success?
    How long is a bit of time living at home? 2-3 years?
    Do you know anyone in the business area to get an idea of how long it will take to set up etc.?

I think there is a bit of analysis to do before you make any decisions. As someone else said here, maybe it's time to grind it out for a while, in fact, perseverance/resilience are some of the most important things setting up a new business so maybe think of it like practice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement