Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvement tips

Options
  • 29-03-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to improve my darts, and I'm a complete novice.

I'm enjoying being out in the lockdown shed space throwing them, but here's three of my 'bad habits'

I'm hitting a lot of 1.20.5,
    More treble 18s than treble 20s
    I'm hitting below the treble 20 mark more often than not. When I try to go higher it feels like it's going way too high.

I've watched a few mardle videos and they helped. I'm throwing Harrows shark 23g, maybe that's too heavy?

I've an old laptop beside the board running excel for recording my score
    Any tips appreciated

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Everyone's throw is different so hard to give advice, but for me..
    Darts - purely personal - need to experiment - I throw 22g red dragon with aggressive grip - bought a set of 21g last week, similar but with less grip and can;t throw them at all. Everyone has a different grip etc..
    Concentrate on a good straight follow through - throw the dart at the board, as opposed to lobbing it
    Make sure when you are at the back of the throw the point of the dart is pointing up
    Also , figure where to stand at the oche so you are comfortable and feel confident in throwing a straight dart
    I tried a lot of positions but for me (right handed) standing slightly left of centre throwing almost straight works. For eg, can't throw a dart straight with foot planted side on
    The reason to get this right - I joined WDA in January and have played a lot of darts since, if you haven;t got a relaxed, comfortable stance you can't engrain the repetition you need and at the end of the day it's all about practice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thanks for the tips Boomdocker. I think I was doing a bit of lobbing allright, so I tried to visualize aiming for a target behind the board, and putting more throw into it and it seems to work.

I'd highly recommend playing online darts if you can
    There are loads of leagues out there for all levels and abilities and it will motivate you and definitely improve your game

There's nowt better than practise,practise and then MORE practise. All good advice from boomdocker there...... once you've "found" your ochre spot, don't be reluctant to move left and right now & again.....youll eventually find your ideal spot.....sometimes even a slight change in stance can up your numbers. Everyone finds different darts suitable.....Ive been using 28g "jockey wilsons" for donkeys years.....maybe it's time I had a look around??this may sound a bit simple BUT always remember it's a 3 dart visit....I see loads of players 'drop shoulders' when getting into the 1 or 5 bed with the first two throws....but you always gotta believe the third arrow is going straight triple 20. I always find it beneficial when I'm against a better player.........so even a run of losses is not the end of the world......once you're picking up something as you go. Enjoy your darts

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭Jerrykay6

SNIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Also the grip on your dart is very important. I find if I grip the dart closer to the point then the dart will 'flatter' in the board. If I grip it further back then it will land at more of an angle. I suppose if preference which you prefer nut it's something to keep in mind.

As regards practice, don't just throw aimlessly at the board, it's a waste of time. You need to 'Practice with Purpose'. Google darts practice games and try a few of them. Also download the N01 software and play against the computer. It has different levels so once you get enough to beta a certain level 3 times in a row then move onto the next level.

As other said, there's also online darts. I haven't had the time to get into this much myself yet but setup an account on Nakka and play against some players online. Some matches don't require a webcam. Give it a try and see how you get on.

I've been playing darts for about 15 years. I averages in the 30's for years, then the 40's, 50's etc. Now I'm usually high 60's, early 70's on a very good day. Point being don't expect to get good quick unless you're a natural!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Great tips folks, thanks a mill. I'm going to mull over them for a bit and give them a shot.

"Point being don't expect to get good quick unless you're a natural!" I love that one, it's like snooker, or playing an instrument amongst other things. I see people on the TV making it look ridiculously easy, and then I try it and realize then how good they are :)

BUT always remember it's a 3 dart visit....I see loads of players 'drop shoulders' when getting into the 1 or 5 bed with the first two throws....but you always gotta believe the third arrow is going straight triple 20.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

If your getting a lot of treble 18s and 12s i wouldn't worry about equipment for a while. Just keep practicing, stance is alot to do with it. You need to be balanced and still. Keep your elbow high, your shoulder cannot be moving when throwing, use your elbow as a hinge and make sure you follow through with your throw all the way after you realise the dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Look up 'gkt darts leagues' on facebook.
    There's a Comp on later today I think and regular comps and leagues.

Edit: it's online darts, you'll need a laptop and webcam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

Here is a good practice routine Matt Edgar put up on Youtube this evening. It’s a lot harder than it looks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBypWtanUnE&ab_channel=MatthewEdgar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

All good tips here, as has been said try different game instead of trying to always hit treble 20 as it can get frustrating and potentially turn you off wanting to play.

Mix it up a bit I usually try and go round the board in as few as darts possible to get my eye in and then try doubles around the board.

In our club we usually try and have a competition every few weeks or even a meet up once a week where we play not only 501 but play a few different games to get everyone involved.

You will have times when you are hitting everything you want to and then days where you can't hit anything, don't be out off by those days

Main thing is to make sure you are comfortable with your stance and don't worry if it looks unusual to someone else once you are happy and can throw comfortable that's what matters, oh and enjoy it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Grip is one of the main things, naturally im thumb and 3 fingers grip but i try and practice trying different variations but cant help myself falling back into my natural grip. I have an Adrian Lewis dart set and his grip is unusually thumb and 4 fingers. Trying to only use the forearms and not the shoulders can be tricky as well as stance

I throw a little bit better with a bit of drink in me, think its to settle the nerves a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Albert11

I have the same problem. I would agree that practice is a very important thing, I am a beginner and when I bought a dartboard light, I am much more concentrated because I see my darts better when I throw them. Sometimes I get disappointed when I don’t manage to score, but I try to stay positive. I practice every day and I can say that I can see how I am becoming a better player.

Advertisement