Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rossberry Estate, Lucan

• 29-03-2021 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Myself and my partner are currently looking to purchase a home in Lucan. We are focusing our search around the west end (we quite like the look of Finnstown although not much comes up there, and the new builds at Somerton). We are aware that the traffic is miserable but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us - I cycle a lot and my partner has flexi-time so can avoid the worst of rush hour.

Anyway, a house has come up in the Rossberry estate that we're quite keen on (it's in between Hayden's Park and Oldbridge). We have limited info on this estate, would it be okay? I'm guessing the fact that I can't find much on it means it doesn't have too much of a reputation which is probably a good thing.

We are moving from the city centre so to be honest we are not overly sensitive to anti-social behaviour, as long as it's a relatively safe place to buy a home.

Seems most of it was built in early 2000s ... are there any known issues with the houses or anything like that?

Also, if there are any residents there on boards... are you concerned about the extensive development planned for Clonburris, or is this sort of far enough removed from the estate that it shouldn't have any major impact?

Would be good to know if anyone had info on the local schools for that estate too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Myself and my partner are currently looking to purchase a home in Lucan. We are focusing our search around the west end (we quite like the look of Finnstown although not much comes up there, and the new builds at Somerton). We are aware that the traffic is miserable but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for us - I cycle a lot and my partner has flexi-time so can avoid the worst of rush hour.

Anyway, a house has come up in the Rossberry estate that we're quite keen on (it's in between Hayden's Park and Oldbridge). We have limited info on this estate, would it be okay? I'm guessing the fact that I can't find much on it means it doesn't have too much of a reputation which is probably a good thing.

We are moving from the city centre so to be honest we are not overly sensitive to anti-social behaviour, as long as it's a relatively safe place to buy a home.

Seems most of it was built in early 2000s ... are there any known issues with the houses or anything like that?

Also, if there are any residents there on boards... are you concerned about the extensive development planned for Clonburris, or is this sort of far enough removed from the estate that it shouldn't have any major impact?

Would be good to know if anyone had info on the local schools for that estate too.

Rossberry is down the road from us, never heard anything bad about it.
    Grange manor/old forge/Johnsbridge/Haydens Park are also good areas and in the area you are talking about. There is a 4 bed in grange manor for sale.

For schools, there is a river in the park that determines your catchment area. West of the river opens you to the school by Supervalu.

Traffic is grand, I work in the city centre and always got the bus.

Clonburris hasn't entered my head even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Rossberry is down the road from us, never heard anything bad about it.
    Grange manor/old forge/Johnsbridge/Haydens Park are also good areas and in the area you are talking about. There is a 4 bed in grange manor for sale.

For schools, there is a river in the park that determines your catchment area. West of the river opens you to the school by Supervalu.

Traffic is grand, I work in the city centre and always got the bus.

Clonburris hasn't entered my head even

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It sounds like a grand spot then. Probably the first time I've heard anyone in Lucan say traffic is grand... seems to be the first thing everyone mentions when we say we are looking there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Traffic around there has not been an issue since 12th March, 2020 :D Might not be an issue for quite some time to come, assuming that post-COVID a lot of people will work from home regularly. The 25B bus stops right outside the pedestrian gate into Rossberry and goes all the way into town / Merrion Square

Agreed with average_runner, Rossberry is fine, that whole area south of Griffeen Avenue is sound. Anything west of the outer ring road is pretty decent anyway. No issues with vandalism / criminality or anything like that. The one thing is that parts of Rossberry and neighbouring Hayden's Park were flooded back in the early 00s iirc. The estates were basically built onto the flood plain of the river Griffeen. People got sorted by their insurers but would not be covered again against flooding. There was major remedial work done by the council in the years after and I'd be confident there has been no flooding of any houses since, but I would, as part of due diligence, try find out more, get a few home insurance quotes and see if that's still an issue.

unkel wrote: »
    Traffic around there has not been an issue since 12th March, 2020 :D Might not be an issue for quite some time to come, assuming that post-COVID a lot of people will work from home regularly. The 25B bus stops right outside the pedestrian gate into Rossberry and goes all the way into town / Merrion Square

Agreed with average_runner, Rossberry is fine, that whole area south of Griffeen Avenue is sound. Anything west of the outer ring road is pretty decent anyway. No issues with vandalism / criminality or anything like that. The one thing is that parts of Rossberry and neighbouring Hayden's Park were flooded back in the early 00s iirc. The estates were basically built onto the flood plain of the river Griffeen. People got sorted by their insurers but would not be covered again against flooding. There was major remedial work done by the council in the years after and I'd be confident there has been no flooding of any houses since, but I would, as part of due diligence, try find out more, get a few home insurance quotes and see if that's still an issue.

Didn't know Rossberry got flooded, as we were in Tullyhall at the time and had no issues.

I know Grange Manor flooded due to builders blocking the river at griffeen avenue. That got sorted and while the river has got high, it is near impossible for it to flood there now. We also got flood cover in our insurance

Grange Manor flooded back then also, but they fix the river under the road. It had got blocked due to

unkel wrote: »

That's good to hear on the traffic!! Hopefully it doesn't go back to pre-pandemic levels.

I was aware of the flooding alright but I thought the impact of it was sort of isolated to the homes directly beside the river i.e. the Old Forge, The Park and the left end of Hayden's estate - I wasn't aware that Rossberry was effected as well. That is a good idea to get some quotes in advance to preempt any potential issues with insurance, thank you.

Just on the ring road, are you referring to Griffeen Rd? That aligns well with our research anyway, we are focusing our search to the west of R136 as it seems to have a better reputation in general and we have heard mixed things about some of the estates to the east.

Unfortunately the particular property in Rossberry looks like it is about to rocket past what we are prepared to pay for it in a bidding frenzy so we may have to keep looking. We are quite set on Lucan at this stage though so hopefully more homes come on the market once lockdown starts to ease off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes west of the R136. And no, I'm not entirely certain about exactly what parts of what estates were flooded, best get some insurance quotes giving a specific address and see if flooding from local rivers is covered

And yes, the houses here have increased quite a bit in the last few months. You are looking at close to €400k for a 3 bed that is in good condition and has had some upgrades / extentions. And at least 350k for a 3 bed without upgrades which might need a bit of tidying. East of R136 you could get a similar house closer to €300k

Thank you both for your thoughts on this the other week, they were very helpful. Any thoughts on Griffeen Valley/Glen? It is quite close to the previously mentioned estates and something has potentially come up there.

Thank you both for your thoughts on this the other week, they were very helpful. Any thoughts on Griffeen Valley/Glen? It is quite close to the previously mentioned estates and something has potentially come up there.

Don't really know much about the area, never heard a bad thing.

A house in Hayden Park just went up for sale last week also. (Nothing to do with me)

Advertisement